It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TOOL - My Favorite Band

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I just saw Tool in Seattle this past weekend and was again blown away with their performance. These guys are my favorite band man, for numerous reasons.

2 thoughts kept coming to mind during the show, "kung fu" drumming and time signature exploiters. I have never heard such variety in time signatures, not only with the drums but with the instruments and vocals.

In addition to that, sometimes they are playing different time sig's at the same time in one song. I have never heard any other band do this...and kick arse with it! With so many "fractured" rhythms, it was funny watching the crowd try to headbang and keep up. As a drummer, my mind was blown by all the rhythmic intricacies.
Danny Carey rocks and is a drum god amongst mortals!

Their musicianship, collectively and individually is in a class by itself.
Then their is the lyrics, Maynard has some profound things to say, super conceptual! He speaks of both tragedy and triumph, spirit and secular endeavors.

If there was ever a "perfect" band, Tool is it, imho!

Their videos are true pieces of art, poetically complex and unique. I am posting a few of my favorite's.

What is your favorite Tool song? Mine is Opiate and Schism.

Schism

Vicarious

Parabola

Opiate

Here is a link to their lyrics...
toolshed.down.net...

Peace

[edit on 14-7-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Tool - Third Eye (pt.1)

Tool - Third Eye (pt.2)

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Awesome piece of work! They opened with that one, incredible!
Thanks for the reply!

Peace

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Tool Rocks! Actually, anything that MJK touches turns to gold IMO.

It's so difficult to pick a favorite....too many candidates for that honor. However, I would probably go with Lateralus or Forty-Six & Two

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

My favorite Tool song is Aenima.

Learn to swim.

Was Danny Carey wearing his Kansas basketball jersey during the show?

[edit on 14-7-2010 by Boognish]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Boognish

Thanks for the reply and Danny was actually wearing a SuperSonics jersey and shorts.
Love Aenima , even though it was months before I pronounced it right!

Peace

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Thanks for the reply Aggie Man!
Yes there are too many masterpieces to really pick one...
Yea, I dig Pucifer and A Perfect Circle.
I am looking forward to Mahnard's documentary on his wine business and vineyard, called Blood And Wine

Peace

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Die Eier Von Satan

Look up the translation of the lyrics if you get a chance.

TheAssoc.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

Die Eier Von Satan
Look up the translation of the lyrics if you get a chance.

Ha! So what does make a better cake, eggs or no eggs? It seems with of course. Love the humorous irony!
Keep Satan's balls outta my cake!

Peace

[edit on 14-7-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Pu#

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Wow, I had never seen that vid...awesome and thanks!

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
This has got be one of my fav Tool tracks, just for the brilliance of it.

Tool-Lateralus

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

What a great concept, putting music and vibration to the most prominent sequence in our natural world, audio birth and growth contained within a song. Think about the listening experience too. That sequence is utilized physiologically through our thought process and thus stands out as a truly unique experience for people. I wonder if there would be any learning advantages to organizing information to be delivered to our brains in this way? Seems like the most "natural" network/framing for info processing, why not literally send info in this sequence? But I digress......

There is an alternative order to playing Lateralus and a site that goes WAY into the details of Tool's usage of the pattern:
jaced.com...

When the 13 tracks of Lateralus are rearranged with the Fibonacci in mind, the album is smoother, with a seamless transition between each song.

6, 7, 5, 8, 4, 9, 13, 1, 12, 2, 11, 3, 10

6. Parabol
7. Parabola
5. Schism
8. Ticks and Leeches
4. Mantra
9. Lateralus
13. Faaip de Oiad
1. The Grudge
12. Triad
2. Eon Blue Apocalypse
11. Reflection
3. The Patient
10. Disposition

6, 7, 5, 8, 4, 9, 13, 1, 12, 2, 11, 3, 10

See anything else? Look closely.

6 + 7 = 13

5 + 8 = 13

4 + 9 = 13

1 + 12 = 13

2 + 11 = 13

3 + 10 = 13

Peace and thanks for the reply,
spec

[edit on 1-8-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Just watched Maynards documentary on his Arizona wine company. Very cool.....
From Blood To Wine
www.vidbux.com...

spec

edit on 16-9-2010 by speculativeoptimist because: add

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
My favorite tool song is Aenema as well, but these two shouldn't be left out of the conversation.

unofficial

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Hey hey friend, thanks for the contribution! Yes, can't forget those 2! Here is another one of my many Tool favs!

Prison Sex

spec

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I don't think I could pick just one. I love them all.
Tool is AMAZING to see live. All the guys are just awesome.
The idea, the music and the message. I'm happy to see a thread about them... and even Mods love 'em too!

A Perfect Circle and Puscifer are good too. FYI, APC just announced a few shows.

Do any of ya'll go to toolchat?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I agree with a other members. It is impossible for me to pick a favorite Tool song. Just picking one just doesn't do the band justice in my opinion. This band has influenced my life more than any other band I have ever listened to...Maynard is very good at putting his thoughts into words in a way that meshes with the music.

I can't pick a favorite but reading through the thread I didn't see this one so I will post it.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Tool have been a fav band of mine for a long time now, don't listen to them so often any more but it's always good when I get a chance.

Haven't really got a fav song but Lateralus is the album for me!

Has anyone else ever made the mistake of requesting Ticks and Leeches in a club, then being the only one dancing, and refusing to sit down during the quiet bit then looking like a massive prat when you miss the timing slightly when it comes back in? just me then

I've been considering starting a topic on how Tool are literally a guide for how to 'wake up' but I cant be bothered to consolidate my ideas

As someone else mentioned, the time signitures and polyrythms used are amazing but by no means are they the only band to do such things! Check out Meshuggah for a master class on that. (Danny Carey loves them btw, Jambi from 10000 days is a bit of an homage to them!)

MJK is not a god of any sort btw, it does my head in when people say that. He's just a clever bloke in an awesome band. I'm convinced he would be revolted by any hero worship he may receive

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by March of the Fire Ants

Has anyone else ever made the mistake of requesting Ticks and Leeches in a club, then being the only one dancing, and refusing to sit down during the quiet bit then looking like a massive prat when you miss the timing slightly when it comes back in? just me then

MJK is not a god of any sort btw, it does my head in when people say that. He's just a clever bloke in an awesome band. I'm convinced he would be revolted by any hero worship he may receive

and nodding my head in agreement all at the same time about the Tool request. That is hilarious because I know exactly what you're talking about from personal experience. Not with Ticks and Leeches in a club but in other ways....

And I agree....I think Maynard would be very put off by fans who see him as some "god". I think he is equally as put off by people who listen to their music and follow everything that is said like it is some kind of holy audio book or something. I have had this conversation with many people over and over again. Tool music is not about following some belief or set of ideas....it is about breaking free of that....as you said...."waking up"....and when you do that you tear down the oppression of 'beliefs'. It is about expanding the mind through critical thinking and finding harmony within yourself and the world. You cannot be taught that....

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join