It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is reality as real as we think?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
So when we die ,the game is over...

What do we do then?

Play again?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
What would you like to do?

Namaste.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I've bought 'The Holographic Universe', and I have been meaning to make the time to read it, in between studying and life, etc. I'm working my way through 'The Self-Aware Universe' by Amit Goswami at the moment. Has anyone here read it? It's very interesting.

This is a link to a fascinating article on consciousness and reality, I really recommend reading it: articles.sfgate.com...

It's the 'Copenhagen Interpretation' of quantum physics that states that it is the observer that collapses the waves that exist in potentia, into "reality", I believe.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by UrbanShaman

Go play something else...This game is to scary!!!

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I don't want to know, well some part of me does but I guess I'm use to this "Reality" or maybe I'm not entirely ready to find out if all this is an "illusion"

To Quote Cypher from the Matrix "Ignorance is bliss."

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewlyAwakened
If it's all an illusion, then the illusion itself is real. You've just renamed "reality" to "illusion", but not explained the illusion.

Something is real.

Why can't they both be real?
you can't have one without knowing the definition of another anyway.

If you flip a coin, call tails, and it lands on tails - do you win because it landed on tails or win because it did not land on heads?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
As we all know reality is something in our own minds...I was once told what I thought happened was perspective...That all of what happeneds to us is our idea or perspective of reality....

Interesting thought.....

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Well Namaste, I guess Im not the only one. I just started THIS thread and came across yours. I have got the same sneaking suspision. I was actually looking for some good reads on the topic and got some exelent suggestions from this thread.

If you believe in the before and after life and/or had an experience of it, we will one day wake up from this reality and say "wasn't that a fun little ride!" or "I just had the craziest dream".

I guess you could call us all lucid dreamers now

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Mark my words:
Everything that is real, is real because your mind knows its real.
Your experience of reality is based on the concept behind that sentence.

Anything is possible.

Lets say a blind and deaf man was born in a huge space, without walls, and live there until the age of 20.
You bring this man into your room. (If you had a way to) Tell him to cross from point A to point B which are separated by a WALL.
What would happen next was - You see the man bang his head and body into the wall (Because god damn, it's a wall!) trying to cross from A to B. But if you had a way of asking that man what happened he would tell you that nothing happened and he is at point B.

Your mind, based on 100% KNOWLEDGE(Not assumptions, not a 99.9% beliefs), KNOWS that a man cannot pass through a solid wall. But the blind & deaf man has never known walls, he was raised in a non-walled space, he never experienced walls, he doesn't know there can be a such thing.

(there is a far deeper explanation about that concept)
So, this question should not be asked the way you asked, in my opinion.

Besides, how can you tell me that dreams aren't real? Why, because you are a sleep? How can you know that your REAL life experience is not in a mental state, such as a dream, but is the experience of the physical and the primitive world?
How can you know that reality has to do something with a physical state, rather than the mental one?

Trust me in one thing, Physicality is metaphysical in the bottom line. Therefor the mental and the physical states are ALWAYS connected.

(Please, don't hurry with this.)
Imagine yourself in front of your fridge. Imagine taking out a Red, Juicy, Tasty Good Looking apple from the fridge. Touch it, feel it's coldness, know how tasty it is. Now take a bite of that apple. Chew it slowly. Feel the sweet, cold, juicy taste in your mouth as you chew it.

If you have done the above in the proper way, your mouth began watering.
Now let me ask you this:

How can something as metaphysical as the imagination, create a physical watering reaction?

If you understood my post, then you will answer that question yourself.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
If you experience it, it is real. The illusion is real too. It is just another perspective.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher

Originally posted by fixer1967
OK, I have another question for you. How can you tell where "reality" ends and "illusion" begins?

maybe reality begins with the illusions?

maybe others' science fiction is somehow our realities...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d659babe6043.png[/atsimg]
what is real & what is illusion?
ah, who am i and what do i know,
et
p.s.
believe in something.
something has to be real.

Heinlein wrote about this is in "The Mark of the Beast". For those who don't know this work, in that novel's fictional world, the core characters move from their original reality to the Lazarus Long universe, after they have come to realize that everybody in the multiverse is a fictional character in someone elses reality. So Lazarus and Co. go looking for their favorite fictional characters and have a big party. Heinlein conceived, "pantheistic multipersonal solipsism". I'm surprised that I've never seen anybody here mention it. Makes sense to me.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join