It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taxpayers to foot bill for Kilpatrick's defense

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Taxpayers to foot bill for Kilpatrick's defense

detroitnews.com

"That is correct," the former mayor of Detroit answered when asked by U.S. Magistrate Judge Donald A. Scheer if he was unable to hire an attorney. Scheer accepted an affidavit from Kilpatrick, 40, explaining his current financial straits.

Hours later, James C. Thomas, the same high-powered attorney paid by Kilpatrick to lead a legal team in fighting criminal charges stemming from the text message scandal, was appointed to represent Kilpatrick again -- this time at taxpayer expense.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
This is crazy. If this happened to a regular Joe, he wouldn't be able to keep the same high-priced attorney at the state's expense. This is clearly a loop-hole or just plain old corruption.

A city like Detroit that is already having a tough time, in part due to Kilpatrick himself, can not afford to be fitting the bill. If this was just some average dude, he would be handed some public attorney who could care less about the outcome.

This is the kind of thing that makes me sick to my stomach.

--airspoon

detroitnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Hmmm, the taxpayer's of Detrroit have been footing Kwamme's defense for years, and that is part of the federal probe from what I understand: illegal use of funds.

But, this is a federal wrap.
So, unless you don't live in the US, your money is being used to pay his bills now too.
I'll be that will just make lots of non-Detroiters all warm and fuzzy.......

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Thanks for posting this. I'm from Michigan and this info usually stays pretty local.
Kilpatrick is a piece of garbage that has been stealing from Detroit for years.

Kilpatrick had to sign a statement swearing he doesn't have the means to pay for his own lawyer....that's it. We have to take his word for it....you know the guy that's in jail for cheating and lying

My only hope is that he's put away for the rest of his life. More charges are still coming which will more then likely include Racketeering !

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
What no defense from the NAACP?

Has he not paid his dues with them.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca
What no defense from the NAACP?

Has he not paid his dues with them.

Haven't you heard? The NAACP is too busy accusing the Tea Party of being racist

I love irony !

The National Association for