It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who's Your Source? Where did you get that information?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
In this day and age of electronic communication. With instant messaging, and instant news. It is somewhat hard to tell who is a reliable source of information.

I have been in threads where sources are cited, and when I go to research the topic on the cited page, I find that it is nothing more than a blog. Sometimes filled with nothing more than an opinion. Sitting on a page that looks like it was put together by a grade-schooler.

Even MSM sources cannot be excluded as the articles on them contain opinion as well. When I worked in jounalism, we were required to use the five W's. Who, what, where, when, and why. Nowadays you would be lucky to get three out of those five.

So to help the newly enlightened that have joined our ranks, I started this thread in hopes of having the long time members list the ones that they avoid...

I will start by saying that any tabloid associated website is not your best bet for a source.
Star, Globe, Examiner etc.

Mods please feel free to move this thread if it is in the wrong forum.

edit to ammend title.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by redeyedwonder]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
usualy i google, but also television.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by icepack
usualy i google, but also television.

While I would trust Google to find an answer to a problem, they rank their articles on popularity. Those articles are usually on blog sites as well. Unless they cite credible sources themselves, I wouldn't trust it.

I will let the TV statement pass, I do not watch TV unless there is a good movie on.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I would have to agree that the MSM isn't the best source, but I have found that though blogs are opinions they usually have links from their research. Its hard to believe anyone these days, and I find it better to take everything with a grain of salt, but sometimes its easier to "review, and run".

BTW, a lot of the time I will use MSM as a reference to pick and choose what others may think. When your usually surrounded by people who only reference to those types of outlets, its better to come prepared, by knowing both sides to every story. Some of the most outlandish things that I have found were from blogs, youtube, and other sites, but thats why I love this site, if you have an opinion, thats one thing, but if you have a quote... put it up, so we can make the same informed decision the way that you did before you posted it.

Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Thanks for the input, we used to call the TV the "Idiot Box" for a very good reason. People waste too much time in front of it, and are too easily swayed by it as well. It's not even all that entertaining to me anymore, I like to listen to internet radio, but tune in here to get the latest news...

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by redeyedwonder

Its weird that those who look for the truth cannot identify with others that don't, and its usually because of t.v. We (those in the know), already know about the distractions, subliminal messages, and just plain dumbing down that comes with watching t.v.

But every once in a while in order to be able to communicate, I will check regular news (MSM), because I know that the conversation will not go well. I don't think that there will ever be a time when we will not be divided by t.v, or gossip, sports, or celebrity news.

Sometime people want to live through someone else. What truly fascinates me is how much time people spend on this stuff, but refuse to take 10 min to learn to be free, thats scares me most of all.

Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I trust legal paperwork certified official documents or press releases by officials, all of the rest have ALOT of hmmm factor.
Msm cannot be trusted as they are just TPTB cheerleaders. that goes for all media generally.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Thanks for the contribution!

I started this thread late and there appears to be a lot of new more interesting threads, even I am getting caught up in them.

I am still hoping to get more input from some of the longer term members!

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Screw 99% of sources as they are always wrong. I go with my gut feeling. I post up my own theories without any backing. Here are a few off of the top of my head:
Obama is smoking an illegal substance in the oval office.
Dick Cheney is a robot.
Apples are bad for you.
Popcorn is corn from another planet.
Saddam was counter fitting American currency.
Hilary Clinton is a man.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Google and Wiki to start. Wiki to get a gist of a topic, then Google. Then I scan those pages for unbiased sites. For NA news I try for European sources like Reuters.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude
Screw 99% of sources as they are always wrong. I go with my gut feeling. I post up my own theories without any backing. Here are a few off of the top of my head:
Obama is smoking an illegal substance in the oval office.
Dick Cheney is a robot.
Apples are bad for you.
Popcorn is corn from another planet.
Saddam was counter fitting American currency.
Hilary Clinton is a man.

Great ideas now I have to go research some of them...LOL

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Thanks Intrepid, especially going outside the US for news. I pretty much do the same, Reuters is a good choice.

Thanks again.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
NPR, strangely enough, has proved to be the bravest of the media. US National Public Radio. NPR.org They are reporting on Wikkileaks today.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

Thank you I have never heard of NPR before, I will look them up.

This thread was in hopes of listing ways of determining bad sources of information, or the bad ones themselves. Like anythiing from Sorcha Faal.

top topics

join