It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*1st Close pics of Mars: July 14, 1965: Mariner 4 Brings Mars Up Close and Cardinal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   

1965: After a few million years of watching Mars from afar, humanity meets the red planet — not quite in person, but through the eyes of NASA’s Mariner 4 satellite.

Launch of Mariner 4

The half-ton space camera flew past Mars eight months after being shot from Earth on an Atlas rocket, having traveled 325 million miles. It flew within 6,000 miles of the planet’s surface, snapping 22 digital photographs before continuing into space. They were the first close-ups ever taken of another planet, and it was only appropriate that the subject was Mars, a source of fascination since the beginning of recorded history.

Mariner 4

There were, alas, none of the canals seen by astronomers in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, nor evidence of senders of messages heard by Nikola Tesla or Gugliemo Marconi. Indeed, the hazy images of a barren, crater-strewn landscape ended speculation that Mars might plausibly be inhabited by higher life forms. But those low-resolution — 0.04 megapixel — images stirred the soul in different ways, and they paved the way for future photo shoots that would reveal a planet every bit as fantastic as imagined.

Image of Mars craters taken by Mariner 4.

After leaving Mars, Mariner 4 journeyed to the far side of the sun, and finally returned to Earth’s vicinity in 1967. Long after it was expected to break down, the satellite continued to send information about cosmic dust, celestial dynamics and solar plasma. After being put through a series of operations tests, Mariner 4 was shut down Dec. 20, 1967.

Source: www.wired.com...
Additonal info: en.wikipedia.org...

Boy, time does fly and time does make a difference. Look at the most recent photos from Mars here (a thread I did yesterday-1 sample here. 17 more there & good discussions): There's More to the Red Planet than Red www.abovetopsecret.com...

Just amazing where we have come to in our exploration of Space-our Future (and our Past). I wish I could live forever to see where Space Exploration goes. How it will expand-what will be discovered or found. The Future looks Bright!!

I sure hope we can get some humans up there quick like-and I don't care where they are from. Whomever gets there first deserves the glory (and lives to tell about it).

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

That is a great comparism. The camera technology has improved by light years. As an ametuer astronomer I often target Mars. It is a facinating planet. Thanks for your post.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
i wonder what quality the pictures were, if you tuned hubble in on mars.
what resolutions you get from this kind of distance.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by icepack

Great question. I was wondering something like that myself but same concept. I brushed the thughts off as something to the effect that they must be Too Close... be all fuzzy?

jra

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by icepack
i wonder what quality the pictures were, if you tuned hubble in on mars.
what resolutions you get from this kind of distance.

Hubble has imaged Mars a number of times through out the years. One can get some decent images, but it's nothing special.

hubblesite.org...

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jra

Sez you! Those are lovely. Thanks for the link.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Wow...we sure came a long way since then, huh? The pics look fantastic, i also can't wait for a manned mission to Mars.

[edit on 15-7-2010 by -TruthSeeker-]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I was'nt around just yet in 1965 but just imagine what they thought,hoped they would find there! We still were'nt sure that life (as we know it) could'nt survive there. What an interesting step back in time!

[edit on 15-7-2010 by JMech]
(edit, yeah I'm slow tonight)

[edit on 15-7-2010 by JMech]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Here's a bump because I'm tired of being a tread killer

top topics

join