It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have You "Quit TV"?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
People don't watch tv anymore because they veg out in front of the computer.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SPACEYstranger

Well, actually I would say 'entertainment' for the sake of mind-manipulation, but each to their own.

Everything that comes on TV is put out by the sick cabal...to condition and manipulate the minds of the public.

I still have mine, but it doesn't get switched on....won't willingly put myself into their psychological gas chamber any more.

Though you deride those on ATS, you're posting on ATS - not much on TV right now??

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I hardly watch the thing due to my teen girl having the remote 90% of the time, and I have other things to amuse me.

So I only watch Motorsports events, the odd comedy.. "Big Bang Theroy" is a favourite at the moment, and that is all. So I still get some enjoyment from the Box.

I stopped watching "Not the News" about 10 years ago and like others gather interesting news from the Internet.

I never watched any of the so-called Reality TV shows as they are as far from reality and one could get usually.

* Important thing now... 12 years ago I was watching cartoons in the morning with my daughter and saw a Subliminal message on the screen as the show cut to ads... Seriously folks... it said in big red letters on a black background.. "Kids. Disobey your Parents"

I questioned my sanity then, and mentioned it at the school the following Monday to find one other person saw the exact same thing... so I wasn't crazy after all... phew, what a relief.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Haven't had cable or satellite service in over 10 years. I do watch some programs, mostly streamed on the internet. However I watch what I want when I want. I was never one to spend hours and hours in front of the TV to begin with. Now I spend around an hour at most a night keeping up with shows I enjoy.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   

On February 17, 2009, when digital was first scheduled to fully kick in, my cable company simply stopped proving service. They kept billing me for another year, then turned a $370 cable bill over to a collection agency, but I haven't had cable since that date.
I don't miss it a bit. I do have netflix, though. Sometimes I rent a movie.
But I get all of my news online. I added a data plan to my cell phone so I can try to keep up with the world during the day when it's slow at work. Mainstream media is days or even weeks behind the information you can find on the internet.
No, I don't miss it a bit. I'm more in touch with the world than I've ever been.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

So I'm curious: Have you quit TV? (All broadcast TV) Why did you do it? Have you found it to be a positive or negative change and why? What have you noticed in your life since you quit?

Yea I quit all TV about 5 years ago.
Nothing but lies on, or everything was over rated and taken out of context to the extremes.
Positive, because I've learned to think for myself and outside of the box.
I'm not as depressed as I used to be and I spend alot more time with my family and friends.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I hardly ever watch TV apart from when my girlfriend is hogging the computer! When I do watch TV, it has to be either Educational, funny or a movie. I can't stand all these reality shows and the 90%BS that is on TV.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by Wide-Eyes]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerotime
I love people on the Internet posting how they got rid of their TV because its full of garbage. I guess this is what people with no control over life say in order to sound intellectual or superior. Either way, the irony is sweet.

With the internet you seek your information, with tv it is fed to you as they see fit and they do like to feed you.
Regards, I Winder

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Yeah-Alright

I think that is it. Everythign in moderation. If you have a bad habit of constantly zoning out in front of the tube, getting rid of it maybe a good idea. But if you can limit yourself, I don't see it as a problem.

I tend to watch my few recorded shows and that is it.
Jon Stewart, Estate of Panic when it is on. (yes mindless but I love it).

I tend to watch a lot of National Geographic and Discovery.

I love Expedition Great White, Taboo, and Unsolved History. Anything Egyptian. I don't consider it wasted time.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   

I woke up a little and quit TV about 3 or 4 months ago. Everything I might want to watch is on the internet anyway. For the first two weeks I couldn't stop watching hours of comedy and action videos on Youtube. After that I was obsesses with documentaries on different subjects. All in all, now I do more productive activities with my time and was really shocked how much TV I actually watched. It would keep me up until the small hours of the morning and was taking over. TV is a way of indoctrinating the masses and distracting them from asking the real questions we should be asking ourselves. It's the best thing I've done so far and it's great to be free.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Myself as young student, also quit on TV, one year ago. Dont miss it, I get better and true news here at ATS and other sources..
It seems the news is always very political and simple, and if you just search online, and the things you care about, you get a bigger picture.

I do however, watch tv shows online, like how I met your mother, super-natural, 24, ha, those are just great entertainment.

link   
i have seen MTV raped from Music videos to mindless Gameshows and others that do NOT EVEN have anything to do with Music I miss the 80s ! when MTV was For Real !
See Source
www.mtv.com...

MTV (MTV: Music Television) is an American cable television network based in New York City that launched on August 1, 1981.[1] The original purpose of the channel was to play music videos guided by on-air hosts known as VJs.[2] Today, MTV still plays a limited selection of music videos, but the channel primarily broadcasts a variety of popular culture and reality television shows targeted at adolescents and young adults

MTV
en.wikipedia.org...

I have seen people in Trailers eating cheap TV dinners watching Old Tv
Sobbing over a Soap , you know the Kind, Filthy Rich Wealthy Glam Family in a Marriage Cheating Financial trouble breakup then Repeat now Reality Shows are getting the Same ! totally mindless Like you gotta be ****ing Kidding Bret Michaels Dating Game Rock of Love BS

www.soapcentral.com...

I miss the Shows like Rosanne , Good times , All in the Family , the Roc showing real situation events and Fun and Struggle

The only thing to ME worth watching is Discovery & History Channel and some News

Mass Media Madness

you mind is controlled

[edit on 14-7-2010 by Wolfenz]

link   
I simply don't watch it much. I watch my favorite sports, and many archaeological and history and science shows, some of my few favorite silly shows (like Big Bang Theory).. but don't watch all that much honestly.

There IS quality programming, and it never hurts to have a TV in case of emergency. Unless you let a tv rule your life, they are fine, imo.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
We quit for about 6 years... It was great and I didn't think I'd ever go back. However, we just recently returned for "curious george", "seasame street", and some "nick jr." We have a toddler now, and a tube available to us. Some of the more educational cartoons seem worth it; he's engaged and entertained, while being educated with abc's, 123's, colors, and shapes for about 1 hour, 5 days a week. Its hard to knock a toddler singing/doing "head, shoulders, knees, and toes" on his own, in the other room, while you do dishes. The wife and I also now occasionally catch a "survival" type show; I'm always up for a new way to start a fire; but that's less than an hour a week.

I still leave the room if someone is watching pretty much anything else. I have a low drama tolerance; it has to be educational.

Sri Oracle

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

The last time I was into television was probably for the first season of Survivor. After that it slowly decayed into watching no TV at all. I think its because of the internet. Its a vastly superior thing. I'm more passionate about learning & exploring what I can accomplish in life than about being mildly entertained for a few hours a day.

I have also stopped playing video games because they completely destroy all of my time and I get very addicted to them very quickly.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I joined the anti-tv crowd when I bought my new house in 07. I figured that if anything, I could pick up the over the air hd channels if I absolutely needed them. We had been staying with my folks while waiting on our house to be built and during that time fell into the 400 channels of nothingness that is cable tv. To this day I don't understand how my parents justify paying for that much.

It was a liberating experience when it came time to move into my house. We read, game nights are many, dinner is at the table and we have conversations-a-plenty. My children have even taken up music to replace the squawk-box.

Now if I can kick this internet habit, I'll be set.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Do they still have TV?? I thought it was just nonstop commercials 24/7 now. (Yes, commercials for some philosophy or other.)

I didn't have one for thirty years. I bought one about 10 years ago to do some video classes for work. I watch the weather channel during tornado season and when there is a hurricane afoot.
Mostly, I listen to the radio or use the net.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Just some food for thought. If you are watching shows on the internet, can you really call yourself tv free?

Isn't it like saying you quit radio just because you don't listen to the box in teh house but only in the car?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I quit TV around 2000 and can't believe I ever watched that #. I moved to Okinawa and never watched TV again. When I got back to the states in 04 I could not believe what 3 years had done to America--especially the 01 year. What I did was buy all the Seinfeld series and just watch that. Other than that I stay away from that evil contraption.

I strongly recommend that people use the internet instead of the TV because you can get more than one source and more than one side of the story. TV is like the Babysitter who just lies to you so that he/she can do whatever they want!

My daughter watches TV--all that Disney crap--and I am working on defragging her before she falls into that blackhole we call TV.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Well.. most people have a digital recorder of some type. My wife love it.. so do I.. I never watch commercials. Well.. unless I'm watching the World Cup or the Superbowl or something.. they really try hard on those commercials.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join