It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Busted by YouTube: Video seen by 2m proves police officer who claimed cyclist ran into him was LYING

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+43 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Busted by YouTube: Video seen by 2m proves police officer who claimed cyclist ran into him was LYING

www.dail ymail.co.uk

A former police officer faces jail after an internet video exposed his bid to prosecute a cyling protester for allegedly running into him was a lie.

Patrick Pogan claimed activist Christopher Long steering into him and knocked him down during a demonstration in New York.

But a YouTube video seen by two million people so far has exposed him as a liar.

The video shows Pogan walking over to the cyclist and shoving him to the ground instead.

Mr Long was acquitted of assault charges and received a £40,000 payout from the city’s police.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
(visit the link for the full news article)

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   

The case has highlighted the growing role of witness videos in law enforcement, and it spotlighted a history of conflict between the New York Police Department and a group of pro-cycling demonstrators.

Here is the video:

I think this story is really interesting. It reminds me of a throw away line from The Simpsons when Marge says 'As long as everyone is filming everyone else, justice will be done.'

The amount of eye-witness videos that have either cleared the police force of any wrong doing or has implicated them in some way has increased massively over recent years.

It goes to show that if you are ever attending a protest or march of some kind it always pays to take your camera along with you.

Also, it emphasises how important the internet is especially websites like YouTube where people are able to freely and easily share videos like this.

www.dail ymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14/7/10 by LiveForever8]

+13 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I don't think I've ever seen something so malicious as that cop, singling out the cyclist and hurling him off his bike. That could quite easily have killed the guy.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

It's a shame the police officer was forced to quit his job.

If there ever was a reason for firing somebody, this is it!

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I just thought I would correct that article.
As a cyclist and a friend of many bike couriers,I know about critical mass.
It is not a protest but a cycling event that is well known worldwide.

I don't want to call it a bike race so much as an event and its not really a protest.
Call it a cyclists pride parade if you will,but a protest....nope.

Here is critical mass from my city.
www.ottawacriticalmass.blogspot.com...

On topic...I am glad the cop was caught.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I'm so glad things like this are being caught on camera and exposing some of the scumbags that abuse their position of authority.

Catching them on video really is the only way we will ever stand a chance of 'policing' the police. S&F

+37 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
This is just one of the reasons why they have made it a crime to film police, with or without consent in many states in the US.
How can they get away with their excesses if we film them? They can't, so they just make it a crime to record their activities.
POLICE STATE ANYONE?

And people say Alex Jones is a crackpot.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Here is a link to the original story on ATS.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I wonder if the cop recognized the guy from a previous time. It seems odd that he would single him out for no apparent reason. It seems that surely that had earlier altercations that resulted in an upset cop (no reason to push the guy).

If it was just random than it is just crazy.

Raist

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Good find, LF08.

That video was horrendous.
I watched it a while back.
To see that cop try and fight the charges....

Plain as day he pushed that biker.
There is a good reason to have cameras!
If he was a real man, he would've watched where he was walking.

I don't think I'd walk into a streaming crowd of bikers.

Kind of stupid? Yep.
Bad thing of it is, states across the USSA are trying to enforce the dual consent recording laws they are coming up with.
Meaning, in court, if both parties didn't have consent, they can throw the video out.
Some states already have this law in effect.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
That video seriously pissed me off. I can't believe a cop would do that, seemingly for no reason at all. IS there a reason for something like this?

I don't trust cops, plain and simple, and videos like this do not help.

Videos like this make me want to grab my baseball bat or other blunt instrument and go out and DO something. Hardly productive, to say the least, but that's the way I feel when I see a cop pull his best imitation of a defensive lineman against what is a harmless citizen on a bike. How pathetic. What kind of person pulls a stunt like that?

And I'm supposed to obey these a-holes when they pull me over for no reason at all - it happened recently and is par for the course as every time I have been pulled over there was no reason except the cops were on a power trip.

Wait, I'm wrong. There was one time when I was drunk and jaywalked and got stopped. I actually got arrested that night as the doinkus I was with bolted and the cops took it out on me(not physically, just the good cop/bad cop routine to get info I didn't have). Like I am going to know where the dude was, he ran and I'm in handcuffs. Foolish cops and foolish me for hanging with what turned out to be a criminal, that's why he bolted.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Where's the Serve and Protect ?

Another incident of the Paid Bullies with a Badge.

This former cop probably bullied other kids when he was a teen and got a thrill from inflicting pain upon others.

Note the well executed technique !

Thank goodness for portable video cameras !!!

There is no need for our tax dollars to pay for this type of ignorant and violent behaviour.

He deserved every bit of his firing/resignation.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
YESSS! its about time Justice as prevailed!!!!!! I'm glad something has been done and not thrown away to a little corner. now only if we can catch these others 50374374034737 a-holes officers and make them stand up to their fate in a court of law.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
If this keeps up, people whom join law enforcement to overcompensate for something else lacking in their life will soon stop joining...no fun when you can't be a corrupt wackjob with a gun and badge on your side.

More cameras..we need more cameras...more important than everyone owning a gun is everyone owning...and carrying...a camera.

Eyes on authority as they eye us.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
And this is why things do not change.

The police, the victim and media missed a golden opportunity to use this event as the catalyst for real change.

When my child lashes it out in anger I do not throw her out, fire her or disown her. We discuss it and ensure we do everything to learn from the mistake.

Ignorance begets ignorance.

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
The other cop who witnessed the incident should be charged as well.
He witnessed a crime being committed and did nothing. Bloody cops.

link   
I have seen this video before but didnt know the cop tried to press charges on the cyclist! Haha that backfired big time, the guy on the bike got $65,000 and the police officer resigned last year. Nice to see justice happens occasionally, usually when I see stuff about police misconduct the police get off with a slap on the wrist.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by CREAM]

link   
I wish I could say I was shocked, but sadly this has become almost the norm when dealing with police. Every single one seems to have some sort of God complex or think that they're Judge Dredd.

This cop needs to be in jail for assault and battery

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I wonder if any of the near by cops gave witness statements backing up their colleague, if so imho they also deserve the sack, they should be disciplined for not intervening to arrest the LEO who did the pushing.

Disgraceful behaviour, they may start out with one rotten apple in the barrel but the rot will spread if the apples aren't closely scrutinised and periodically cleaned after the rotten fruit is removed.

The city tax payer picks up the bill for the compo and legal costs and will continue to do so as long as people like the thug in question are employed to maintain order.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I would expect nothing less from someone who looks at our laws and then decides to pursue a career upholding said laws. The average policeman has no morals and is incapable of independent thought, they're usually bullied at school and still have mummy's boy faces. Can you tell I don't like the police?

I hope this pathetic oaf gets a real punishment. I'd be happy to do it myself.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I agree with the poster that stated the other police officer should have been reprimanded as well.

Did he not witness what his partner had just done? Or was he not looking?? Yeah, sure.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join