It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are there no truly inspirational people anymore.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Thanks to all that responded -time for bed for this little black duck if anyone else responds I'll be back to you about 4.00pm New York time.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Brad Jardis
www.themarijuanareport.com...

"Momma Alley"
media.libsyn.com...

I didn't link to these people's whole story but you should be able to get the idea. There are tons and tons of very inspirational people out there.

If you are looking to Hollywood or the MSM for inspiration then that is your problem right there..

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
There are insiprational people, a ton of them.
They are paraded in front of us daily on the news on the tube BUT what they inspire doesnt match up to whats good, or needed.

The inspirational poster children are bought and paid for, promoted, marketed, pumped into your senses, the childrens senses, everyones senses, from cartoons to politics, to billboards and magazine ads.
Inspire to buy, to follow, to believe blindly, to fear to hate, to desire, to envy, inspire to forget.
Forget.

You, have been inspired to write this by the noticeable void,
you noticed.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
If you want to know who is considered the most profound and influential human that impacted in history, then check these 2 clips out: A MUST watch.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

Peace

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
TOTALLY AGREE!

[TROLL] I'm Australian also and there's not a single modern Australian I find inspirational or worth looking up to. The music in the charts here is complete and utter tripe.
our sports stars are severely under educated and over paid ( not to mention rape charges, violence, drug charges and public disconduct that is ever so frequently displayed by them).
Our political leaders are fairly gutless and redundant too... but I can't really comment on that since I refused to enrol to vote.

There's no wonder that our youths are less intelligent then they were in my time (which isn't THAT long ago; I graduated senior in 2004). It's because of their "Idols", who they see and look up to on T.V. IMO it's because we have no truely individual or inspirational persons in modern Austrailian society. [\TROLL]

p.s I'm sorry for the Trollin' and slightly offtopic nature

S+F also

[edit on 14-7-2010 by Super Chubby]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by anglodemonicmatrix
reply to post by assasinforfather

Dont get me wrong there are true local heroes like the abandoned mum working two jobs to raise a family in a mobile home,mental health nurses that have to work and be nice in nightmare environments etc however society and the media are not presenting us anyone worthy of adoration or respect,is this on purpose?

It's sad that these people arn't mentioned or seen of much; The only time I see something like this is a 4 1/2 minute slot on ACA or T/T because it's a slow news day.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by HappilyEverAfter
There are insiprational people, a ton of them.
They are paraded in front of us daily on the news on the tube BUT what they inspire doesnt match up to whats good, or needed.

The inspirational poster children are bought and paid for, promoted, marketed, pumped into your senses, the childrens senses, everyones senses, from cartoons to politics, to billboards and magazine ads.
Inspire to buy, to follow, to believe blindly, to fear to hate, to desire, to envy, inspire to forget.
Forget.

You, have been inspired to write this by the noticeable void,
you noticed.

That's very true, inspirational but for all the wrong reasons.
S+

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
i am inspired by John Lennon.

he never gave up on Peace.
i won't, either.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
No public figure is going to be inspirational (in the right way, anyway). Simply by being a public figure they are caught up in the spotlight, and might do their best to seem inspirational, but anyone with an ounce of independent thought will realize they are doing it for their ego, to attract devoted followers.

To find truly inspirational people, you have to look in your everyday life for people who walk the walk, rather than talk the talk. Let their actions be your guide. Those who run their mouths little, yet seem to "have it together", might be worth getting to know.

(Thus you won't find much genuine inspiration from us ATSers either
)

[edit on 14-7-2010 by NewlyAwakened]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by anglodemonicmatrix

To be an inspirational person, one needs to have the ideals that the common person can relate to, see problems to be overcomed against all odds and succeed, elevating not only themselves but others as well.

The belief that there is no truly inspiration people anymore is false, by the simple fact that you could enjoy wine with your family over dinner together and hold a rational discussion of the merits of people worthy of role leaders signifies an inspirational model that could come only from some decent mortal or immortal that taught mankind the importance of communication, more so with family, relatives and friends.

It is from such foundations that one will aspire forward in life, for the warmth and feeling of love that you enjoyed amongst family and good company, that you will ensure such closeness is maintained forever, even at the cost of your own life.

You need no other inspirational figure or teacher to elevate you to greatness. They had already done all they could throughout the centuries of civilisation. You, your family, relatives and friends are your inspirations for the further evolution of mankind to fulfill our destiny to the stars.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   

I can tell you my late father and my (current) brothers, sister and mother all, for individual reasons, are amazingly inspirational. I didn't have to look far to find some...perhaps because we are trained to look to the media for "inspiration" we fail to find it. Mostly everyday people who keep fighting the good fight are an inspiration to me. Maybe I'm easy to impress....

ColoradoJens

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by HappilyEverAfter

Perhaps this could explain it my mother in the 1960's worked for a television station and was told that programming catered for an average mental age of 13,advertising and mass media appeals to the reptilian brain or realm of emotions not the intellect this is why the people presented us 'inspire' us to buy,fear,despise,hate,desire or envy as the mass manipulation of conciousness is emotional not rational but this never ending pantheon of circus freaks,snake oil salesmen,sluts and pimps offers no-one of substance to idolise or worship.Society is not presenting us with any role models which means the next generation will not necessarily respect anything.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

I agree I am lucky to have good family and friends and know some decent people in the community,but the community level seems to be it,there is no-one at a state or national level I can think of that inspires me and I wonder why,is it perhaps that once you get beyond the community level you enter the world of corruption and Machieveli?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Super Chubby

I graduated in 1982 and have seen even more marked changes for example in my day to be a Rugby Union Wallaby you had to be a role model and keep your nose clean,now we've got Wallabies that get into pub brawls,go dui,hell one even was up for break and enter charges in my day discretions like these ended your career,now they support them hell probably even pay the legal fees-this is just one example there just isnt anything one can hold a candle to anymore that seems to withstand scrutiny.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   

It would have been awsome to grow up then; the music the lifestyles, hell even the morals and movies were better. My rolemodels are all from the 80's and 90's.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101

To be an inspirational person, one needs to have the ideals that the common person can relate to, see problems to be overcomed against all odds and succeed, elevating not only themselves but others as well.

The belief that there is no truly inspiration people anymore is false, by the simple fact that you could enjoy wine with your family over dinner together and hold a rational discussion of the merits of people worthy of role leaders signifies an inspirational model that could come only from some decent mortal or immortal that taught mankind the importance of communication, more so with family, relatives and friends.

It is from such foundations that one will aspire forward in life, for the warmth and feeling of love that you enjoyed amongst family and good company, that you will ensure such closeness is maintained forever, even at the cost of your own life.

You need no other inspirational figure or teacher to elevate you to greatness. They had already done all they could throughout the centuries of civilisation. You, your family, relatives and friends are your inspirations for the further evolution of mankind to fulfill our destiny to the stars.

I agree.

Maybe you should take solace in the fact that the truly "inspirational" person doesn't need to exist anymore where you live.

For them to inspire, it usually means that there has to be a great injustice being foisted upon a large amount of people.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Well, you should not expect to find any in pop culture, which includes entertainers, athletes (nowadays these are entertainers often as well), and do-nothing celebs like the Kardashians and Paris Hilton. You won't find any among them because we, as a culture, would rather apparently read about the train wrecks like Lindsey Lohan or how much the next athlete is making in his new contract. If we did not crave these things, big business would not feed it to us.

Also, seriously, why are you looking for such among the famous anyways? I know plenty of inspirational people in my circle of family and work industry colleagues. That is where you should seek yours.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by assasinforfather

Your right about there not being any inspirational people in the spotlight. However, I wouldn't suggest that there are none at all. The real hero's in this world don't live to be in the spotlight making claims they can solve our problems. No, the true inspriational ones are those who simply treat others the way they would want to be treated. Don't turn their backs when asked for help and will run to help without being asked

That's a great comment. I understand the OP's point, though. In our society, I think it is inherent with humans to want to have inspirational people to look up to. I don't know why, it just seems that way. That's why many times we're quick to catapult someone who seems to have wisdom, talent, or courage to levels of success. But something disturbing seems to be occurring these days--almost as if we're promoting success in those who encourage idolization of the materialistic things in life.

Look at our celebrities these days! They don't inspire me! When we have Lil Wayne, Eminem, Lady GaGa, Rhianna, and people of that ilk running around spewing vulgarity and violence and prancing around on stage or t.v. gyrating around in virtually nothing but panties and a bra...what's that gonna inspire . . . especially in our kids?

I agree, we don't have many inspirational "icons" among us like we used to. Where are the Martin Luther Kings? Maybe this is an indication that it's time for us as individuals to take the bull by the horns and become the inspirational leaders instead of expecting to find them somewhere else?

It seems to me that we are surrounded by more people prone to deceit and treachery than anyone willing to stand up against it in a high-profile way.

Off the top of my head, the only inspirational person that comes to mind at the moment for me is Ron Paul. To me he is inspiring because he puts his money where his mouth is. He stands up for truth in spite of the fact he many times is standing up against it alone.

(Sorry, not trying to make this a Ron Paul thread or a political thread, just giving an example)

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Why are there no truly inspirational people anymore.

Because people are not as easily inspired as they once were, we are not as innocent, sometimes knowledge makes you lose the magic.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Inspirational people these days? Try these two on for size..

Stephen Hawkings - Massive triumph over overwhelming adversity.

Michio Kaku - Hugely inspiring scientist with a knack for making the extremely complicated seem simple.

Richard Branson was mentioned earlier - I'd also throw in Alan Sugar. Both came from nothing and have been hugely successful.

In sports, what about people like Lewis Hamilton, who's single minded determination and talent took him from karting through to F1 Champion?

There are inspirational people all over. Simple fact is that entertainment news and media hype makes it seem that the world is falling down. You just have to look a bit harder I think.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join