It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gorillas 'play games of tag like humans'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
G'Day ATS,

I saw this this morning and thought I'd share it with you. I find it very interesting that these magnificent animals have been observed playing "tag". They clearly are intelligent, that is nothing new, but this demonstrates a whimsical, playful side that I find intriguing. Plus it takes a level of intelligence and communication for a group to participate in such games that is impressive. They are testing the acceptable limits of physical contact, makes me look at my games of "tag" as a child in a different light!

BBC Gorillas 'play games of tag like humans'

Gorillas play "tag" in a similar way to humans, scientists have discovered.

By studying footage recorded in zoos, the team found that the great apes would hit a playmate and then run away, chased by the gorilla they had struck.

Occasionally, the roles would then reverse, with the chaser hitting back, and then getting chased.

The research, published in the journal Biology Letters, suggests the primates are testing the limits of acceptable behaviour within their social group.

The importance of games to Gorillas was reported back in January:

BBC Gorillas 'ape humans' over games

The gorillas at San Francisco Zoo were observed over a period of five years playing with a variety of equipment.

The study found that gorillas like to keep games going and even give younger apes a fair chance to play.

"An older and more skilled gorilla seeming to realise that if it used all of its potential, the younger one wouldn't be able to compete, so the older gorilla would slow down the pace."

The scientists said this kind of shared activity and joint attention with another person begins around nine months of age in humans.

If you have ever thought about trying to do something to help gorillas in the wild, here are some links:

Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund International

The Mountain Gorilla Conservation Fund

WWF - Save the Gorilla

I CHECKED THE T&Cs AND COULDN'T FIND ANYTHING ABOUT LINKING CHARITIES, IF IT IS A VIOLATION, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO REMOVE THESE LINKS MODS!

All the best ATS, Kiwifoot

[edit on 14-7-2010 by kiwifoot]

new topics

join