It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gorillas play tag

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

Gorillas play "tag" in a similar way to humans, scientists have discovered.

By studying footage recorded in zoos, the team found that the great apes would hit a playmate and then run away, chased by the gorilla they had struck.

Occasionally, the roles would then reverse, with the chaser hitting back, and then getting chased.

Amazing, truly amazing!!

These magnificent creatures never fail to surprise... their intelligence level is incredible.

How sad that their habitats destruction and hunting is placing them under extreme pressure!

animals.nationalgeographic.com...

In the wild, these primates are under siege. Forest loss is a twofold threat; it destroys gorilla habitat and brings hungry people who hunt gorillas for bushmeat. Farming, grazing, and expanding human settlements are also shrinking the lowland gorilla's space.

More must be done to save these, and many other species, that are being pushed to the brink...

One of my favourite clips...

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Cool stuff, thanks for posting.

My dog plays "hide and seek" with his food, now and then. He'll "bury" a dog treat or a biscuit or something in his bed and then bark for someone to find it, then "bury" it again, lather, rinse, repeat until he gets bored with the game.

Animals are a lot smarter than they usually get credit for.

TheAssoc.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I too, recently 'discovered' how intelligent and fascinating gorillas are. They're usually seen by humans as monstrous, violent apes but in reality they couldn't be more peaceful. In fact, they are 100% vegetarian and enjoy spending time with their families and fellow gorillas.

This is worth watching:

new topics

join