It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neil deGrasse Tyson Debunks 2012

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I have been a firm believer that nothing of universal importance will happen on December 21st 2012, man might do something (like start a war) but nothing natural will occur.

Neil deGrasse Tyson believes this as well, you have probably seen this man several times, hes a guest on almost all shows that are about space, hes been on the Daily Show and Colbert Report several times, and has over 10 published books.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7e43269e24fb.jpg[/atsimg]

Hes also referred to as "the man who killed Pluto" haha.

Below is a brief video shot by an amateur of Dr. Tyson explaining why the doomsday theory's of 2012 are bunk, i know none of the die hard 2012 believers will enjoy/believe it, and wont except that 2012 is bunk untill 2013 (at which point we'll hear modern calenders are off by one year) but the rest of you should enjoy this very short video. I always take pleasure in listening to Dr. Tysons logic.

[edit on 7/14/2010 by Alaskan Man]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

More NASA paid junkes, thats two in one row

In 2009, he started hosting with comedienne Lynne Koplitz a one-hour radio show called Star Talk. The show is syndicated Sunday afternoons on KTLK AM in Los Angeles and WHFS in Washington DC.

And why should i care if an former goverment worker has to say something about in 2012?

I believe something will happen in 2012, NASA always covers up something.

people like him always work for the money nothing more nothing eles.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Never heard of him and whats more he looks like a pimp.

how can people debunk something that has never happend???

Very puzzling. Like me debunking the 5th world war. Aint gonna happen unless im full of crud!

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I respect Mr Tyson alot...

I have seen him twice talking about possibility of life in the universe...

he is very intelligent and a good speaker, he is the new Carl Sagan for me.

I also agree that 2012 will come and go , the worst that can happen to us is being bombarded by solar radiation since some sun cycle is going to come but still i dont think it will be something serious since scientists are already taking measures thanks to Dr Kaku who warned that the next cycle is going to be strong.

And again I agree with the OP that a War is what must be feared recently, since with all the troops movements, defense positioning, Fidel Castro's Warning, something is cookin up..

Also I a have a friend in the USAF who told me he has been deployed for quite a while and that he is starting to get worried, i felt he couldnt tll me more so i didnt pushed the matter but I felt that something is brewing.

For those who never heard Mr Tyson here we go...enjoy

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Meh

How can someone debunk something that hasn't even happened?

It's very obvious that 2012 means many things to many people.

Approach it however you want, the date of the "end of the world", the beginning of a new phase in the development of humanity, the Earfh, the Moon, Mars. the Milkyway, the universe. Whatever.

Maybe when February 2012 comes around I will ask for the video of my colonoscopy, and prove, heh, nothing happened or will happen.

Or at least until the 20th of December, 2012, when suddenly my colon will explode with a cancerous God that will set everything back to where it belongs.

God, if this happens, can I keep my rectum? I kind of like it.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Personally I think if something major is going to happen it will be before 21st dec 2012.

I think they know whats going to happen and just want us to focus on a point beyond the event..

That way they can ease the panic...

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   

I love the way people can't wait to discredit this video. It should be shown to everyone who has been deluded by the 2012 nonsense. Then again there are many, too many on ATS who would rather ignore the science, logic and reason of Tyson and watch a cooky youtube video on Niburu or whatever you call it.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
the Doctor is only partially correct in his assertion that every year the 21 Dec 2012 alignment of the Earth and the center of the Galaxy align...

as he says... the same alignment happens every year, so why hasn't the Earth been destroyed in any of those years...?

incorrect--- the 'Dark Rift' of the MilkyWay is the 'alignment' which only happens during a +20 year 'window' once every precession cycle.

next, our solar system is light years 'above' the galactic equator plane
in this present era, so the 'Alignment' of the 'dark rift' with the Earth perspective, rising on the daybreak of 21 december 2012 is only an Apparent crossing of the center-of-the-Galaxy...

sorry, this man is not truly empowering others to think correctly,
he may be encouraging others to seek factual knowledge but he is not imparting any epiphany on the listeners

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Such a wonderful hasty generalization you've made there, Agent_USA_Supporter. Do you have more? He's also paid by PBS, I suppose we are to conclude that all of PBS are junkies too?

And why should i [sic] care if an former goverment [sic] worker has to say something about in 2012?

Sigh. I get that we're supposed to "hate" the government, but facts are facts. There are a few claims made by the 2012 "movement" that have been proven to be false. It just so happens that the people debunking them are either from NASA or those who have access to high powered telescopes that *gasp* can actually study the outlandish claims.

Just what exactly do you believe will happen in 2012, if I may ask?

people [sic] like him always work for the money nothing more nothing eles. [sic]

You don't know Dr. Tyson. You don't know what he works or doesn't work for, thus this claim is fallacious. It's as if I were to do the same to you and claim that all you do is work for the money to put on a show.

reply to post by Master Shen long

Lovely ad hominem attack, Master Shen long. In the first sentence nonetheless!

Just because he, I quote, "looks like a pimp," doesn't discredit what is presented. There are things that are impossible to debunk, like the example you stated with World War V, but why? Because we are not psychics and cannot predict the future. Nonetheless, when it comes to the Universe and astrophysics, things can be predicted. Things can be observed and models can be made to see what will happen ahead of time. So when it comes to claims regarding our Solar System, astrophysicist have a huge advantage in that a claim such as "In 2012 there will be a planet the size of [insert_size_here] to pass [insert_location_here]" can be verified with the tools that astrophysicists and even amateur astronomers have.

Like I mentioned to Agent_USA_Supporter, regardless if you're anti-government ... if someone from NASA, PBS, or even the Hayden Planetarium (in this case Dr. Tyson) presents a fact that is verifiable by anyone, then you have to reconsider your position. The same can be said about the people making the claims. If someone devotes a website to 2012 and can provide accurate verifiable evidence that can be duplicated by anyone (such as you or me with a telescope and calculus book in-hand) then I would change my view. You really have to consider the source when there are numerous websites shouting doomsday scenarios presenting these as fact, all the while trying to sell you survival gear.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by ZeeSquared]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
he's either a moron or a disinfo agent. or probably both.

fingers crossed i have the power of concentration to write my thread.

2012 = we are the ones we've been waiting for, 2012time2growup.ning.com...

wecreatethelove.ning.com...

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Thank you Tyson. You may now pick up your check at the white house.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeeSquared

Because your science is so good your can predict things of an astronomical event in 2 years time? Didnt see you predict the Tsunami a few years back, or Hiait, or Katrina, or any other earth related event.

And yea he looks like a pimp, a pimp for the sheeple.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Hello all;

You know I can't let a 2012 thread go by without saying it...

The Long count calendar ends on 10-28-2011, not 2012. It has to end on a date of 13 Ahau...

While I dont subscribe to the doom theories, the Mayans predicted an ascension of spirit of humanity. Sometimes change can come violently.

I agree he looks and sounds shady to me.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter

More NASA paid junkes, thats two in one row

In 2009, he started hosting with comedienne Lynne Koplitz a one-hour radio show called Star Talk. The show is syndicated Sunday afternoons on KTLK AM in Los Angeles and WHFS in Washington DC.

And why should i care if an former goverment worker has to say something about in 2012?

I believe something will happen in 2012, NASA always covers up something.

people like him always work for the money nothing more nothing eles.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter]

Of all the people I can't wait to talk to when 2012 comes and passes, you take the cake.
Really.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Master Shen long
reply to post by ZeeSquared

Because your science is so good your can predict things of an astronomical event in 2 years time? Didnt see you predict the Tsunami a few years back, or Hiait, or Katrina, or any other earth related event.

And yea he looks like a pimp, a pimp for the sheeple.

And you claim yours is good enough to know something WILL happen?
Oh wait, all you're probably going to post is spiritual claims, and we ALL know those are ALWAYS right.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by hippomchippo]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
You won't have to wait until 2012. There will be plenty of pre-events in 2011 that will leave no doubt in your mind...somethings up. Speculation has it that many people will think they are going crazy. Telepathy and inter-dimension experiences will freak people out as they start occurring more and more in 2011.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
As much as I love discussing 2012 I have to say that most discussions are in fact irrelevant. It is a topic you either believe or don't.

Personally I am a believer and there is nothing anyone can say to make me believe otherwise (including Mr Tyson, however credible he might be). Likewise the skeptics will never be convinced until its too late.

If the day does pass by with no event then I will happily laugh at my own mistake with all the skeptics! At least then we'll only have the NWO to worry about

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   

I see that you employ laughable claims instead of attempting to support the hoax that is 2012. Have you ever tried to provide any shred of support for the ludicrous failure that is labeled 2012?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   

You believe 'something' will happen in 2012...really? never would have guessed...
I think the majority of ATS members know that the whole 2012 malarkey is nonsense, for those that don't... well we have always had those types of people and always will, even in the supposed information age.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Master Shen long

Many earth related events have been predicted. Pinatubo and Mt St Helens were predicted.

Demonstrating that it is impossible for a new planet to enter the orbits of the known planets has been done many times. Eclipses can be predicted down to the second. Occultations can be predicted with a great deal of precision. These events can be predicted with great precision decades before they happen.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join