It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could anyone add any insight on this strange incident that happened this morning?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
This incident happened to my mom at about 9:30 this morning. She heard someone pull up in our driveway, so she looked out the window to find that someone had pulled up in a BMW. Well, the doorbell rang and she answered the door. There stood a young, plump blonde girl with glasses. She appeared to be in her early 20's. She was wearing a nametag that said "Anya". Anya introduced herself and she spoke with what my mom said sounded like a Russian accent. She asked my mom if she had any kids that were still in school. My mom told her that she didn't, that she only had a daughter (me) that had recently graduated high school (which is the truth). The girl replied "you don't?" looking a little surprised, almost as if she didn't beleive what she just heard. She then told my mom that she was a college student, which strikes us as odd seeing that she drives a BMW. She said she was selling books for students to help them with subjects like math and algebra. She pulled one of the books out of her bag and showed it to my mom. During this time, another car pulled into our driveway. The girl said something to the effect of "Oh, those are my mechanics. I can't believe they found me out here." Then, two black men with baseball caps stepped out of the long white, expensive-looking car. They just stood there for a minute and then got back into the car and drove off. The girl seemed a little uneasy and swallowed hard at one point. She asked my mom if there were any kids that lived on our street. My mom told her there were none that she knew of. My mom, trying not to sound rude, told her that she was running late for a class. So they said goodbye and that was the end of that. My mom said she had a strange feeling about the whole thing and was thinking of asking the girl exactly what was going on. She also said she thinks the Russian accent might have been fake. I'm not sure why she thinks that...it may have just sounded fake. I'll have to ask her.

So has anyone had any strange incidences like this, where they sensed that something just wasn't right? Any insight to offer on what this could have been about? Thanks in advance.

P.S, I hope I posted this in the right section. I don't have too much experience with these boards. This is the first thread I've started.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
They may be casing the area. Tell your mother NOT to open the door to ANYONE that she does not know. Also, I think she should report the incident to police as suspicious. I say trust your instincts, they are usually right.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

What does 'casing the area' mean? I hope I don't sound rude, haha, I just don't know what it is. Does that mean they are like, trying to find high school aged kids and maybe seeing how many are in the area or something? Seems odd.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
If it's not a "casing the area"/"getting ready to rob" situation, it actually sounds a lot to me like stories of black-eyed kids, without the eyes... Very interesting.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Who knows? If you live in a large house/wealthy area...you might just have been cased. It sounds more to me that they were looking for a specific family. Depending on the description of the individuals (manner, bearing, fitness), they could have been investigators.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Also a bunch of these summertime internship type jobs that take advantage of naive college students and teens. They sign up for a summer job selling something like books or magazines or perfume, they descend on a town and blanket it with door to door sales, and then they move on. The guys in the other car are probably supervisors. It is a very high pressure, fast paced job. If you are not selling, they don't mind leaving you behind in whatever town you happen to be in.

I live in a college town, and some of these "internships" are worse than pimps! Disney is one of the worst!! Disney's "internship" is jokingly called the "Disney Slaves" on campus, but they are still able to recruit some how?

That poor girl is probably in way over her head. She has certainly be taken advantage of and exploited by some very savvy, very high pressure smooth talkers. They will seduce her, party with her, make some money off her, and leave her somewhere along the way to find her own way home.

[edit on 13-7-2010 by getreadyalready]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
They were looking for a house to rob. The whole thing was a ruse to see if anyone was home. Don't ever open the door to anyone you don't know. They use the girl cause most people would not open to two black guys in baseball caps they did not know.

Also never tell strangers your late they then know you will be leaving soon. Report it to police and if you see them in the neighborhood again get the license plates and pass on to police. Also warn your neighbors

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by HarmonicNights

It sounds like your mothers neighborhood is being cased for home invasions, as has been previously mentioned.

Contrary to popular belief, you'd be surprised how many people come home from work to find their home has been burglarized. Day time invasions offer the advantage of most people being at work, children being at school, etc.

When a random stranger knocks on your door and asks if you if have children of school age, they are fishing to see if anybody is likely to be home during the day time or not - with it being summer, the chances of kids being home are higher than during the normal school year, thus why a question like that should raise alarms.

I'd tell her to contact authorities and to check with her neighbors, see if any of them have had visits from this "Anya" character as well.

*edit - or it could be as getreadyalready has stated...but honestly it's better to be safe than sorry.

- Fry

[edit on 13-7-2010 by Fryaga]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
Also a bunch of these summertime internship type jobs that take advantage of naive college students and teens. They sign up for a summer job selling something like books or magazines or perfume, they descend on a town and blanket it with door to door sales, and then they move on. The guys in the other car are probably supervisors. It is a very high pressure, fast paced job. If you are nto selling, they don't mind leaving you behind in whatever town you happen to be in.

I live in a college town, and some of these "internships" are worse than pimps! Disney is one of the worst!! Disney's "internship" is jokingly called the "Disney Slaves" on campus, but they are still able to recruit some how?

That poor girl is probably in way over her head. She has certainly be taken advantage of and exploited by some very savvy, very high pressure smooth talkers. They will seduce her, party with her, make some money off her, and leave her somewhere along the way to find her own way home.

This is exactly what it is.
It is not Interstate Commerce
if one goes state to state to sell
subscriptions or mail order books,
as the purchases are made under the
laws in the state where they are bought.

So there is _no_ interstate commerce here.

Groups of high pressure sales teams recruit at
universities, use High speed, High expectation training,
and turn them into Gypsies, living from pay day to pay day.

The promise of travel, the appeal of the con, the sent of money.

David Grouchy

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
all i can say i wow just wow,
is this really the way american burglars work , `?

or am i missing a bigger picture here ,

they come over show their cars and faces and then rob the place ?

if this is how a nations citizents do it what does that say about its leaders.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
About 3 years ago we had a sales man, that was a foriegn exchange student from Romania come by and sell us some books for our daughter. I think this is a program that some colleges participate in, The black guys in a nice car and the fact that she was driving a BMW is strange because our kid was on a bike. I mean an exchange student would not usualy have a nice car unless they got lucky and thier host is wealthy.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Trust your instincts by all means! Keep your doors locked and do not answer for anyone you do not know. The girl could be in trouble as your Mom said she seemed uneasy - someone may be putting her up to something, she may need help. Report it as suspicious to the police. Take care and let us know how it goes.

I was curious as to how she was dressed, how she presented herself, body language, if you have more info on this.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Yeah, "I'm late" wasn't the best choice.
Probably a better line would of been something to the effect of "If you'll excuse me I have company and we were just putting food on the table".

Taking a good long conspicuous look at their license plate does wonders for discouraging them from popping back to your neighborhood too.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Have you moved recently? Due to my past activities I've had people claim to be selling vacuum cleaners and stuff, they were in a suit and tie and very professional looking in a town of less than 7,000 people. It was highly suspicious and especially since I had just moved there.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Probably recon for a burglary or home invasion.

Usually the "scout" comes to your door to sell magazines or some similar junk. The mission is to check out your house from the door, check for dogs, see if you have any security system stickers, check to see if you have any "teens" that may be home while your working, etc.

Anyway, Here is one of the best articles on the subject.... enjoy.

“Secrets of a Professional Burglar”
foothillshomesblog.com...

From my own experience as a successful burglar and also from talking with hundreds of fellow inmates in prison for burglary, I’ve concluded that burglary is a psychological game. The only real deterrent is the realization that there is immediate danger to him, the burglar. Locks don’t do this. Alarms don’t do it. Only mind games really work. I’m not against good locks, sturdy doors and alarm systems. But if you rely 70% on mind games and 30% on hardware, you’ll do much better in the end.

If a burglar sees warning signs no matter how outlandish, on your house, he will think twice before breaking in. These signs should be handwritten, in large clear print, on six-inch by eight-inch cards posted above each door knob. Don’t put them on the street or in your yard where passersby can see them. You don’t want to give a burglar a reason to case your place and find out that they are not true. You can make up your own wording. Just be sure the signs look fresh and new. Some suggestions…

“Danger extremely vicious, barkless German Doberman.” In his nervous frame of mind, a burglar probably isn’t going to wonder if there is such a thing. He won’t want to take the chance.

“Knock all you want. We don’t answer the door.” Most burglars check to see if anyone is home before breaking in. About 95% of those questioned said they’d pass up a house with that sign.

“Please stop! We’ve already been forced to kill one burglar who was trying to get in while we weren’t home. Please don’t become the second.” Like the barkless dog sign, this one seems outlandish. But a jittery burglar isn’t going to stick around thinking up ways you could kill him while you’re not home.

“Attack dogs trained and sold here.” Again, 95% said they’d be gone like a shot if they saw this sign. Suggestion: have one engraved and post it on your front door (so it can’t be seen from the street.”

Leave extremely large bones and two-foot-wide dog dishes near all entrances. Someone who’s up to no good will think a very large dog lives there.

Paste stickers on the windows indicating that you have an alarm system. Try motion-detector alarms: “This building is equipped with laser-type motion-detector devices. Bodily movements inside will set off audible or silent alarm.” Some 85% of inmates said they’d pass up a house with this notice. Also: Paste alarm foil along windows. Put suction cups on the inside of windows and alarm type bells on the outside walls.

Put fine gravel in your driveway or in your gardens surrounding the house. This makes a lot of noise that burglars won’t want to chance.

When you go away on vacation, don’t tell anyone except the local police. Ask a neighbor to pick up your mail and newspapers and occasionally empty a small can of junk into your trash can. Close all shades, blinds or curtains. Leave one or two radios on. Have your outside lights on a light sensitive switch and inside ones on an alternating timer. Take your phone off the hook. Put up your deterrent signs.

Buy an air horn (the kind small boat owners use). If someone breaks in while you’re at home go to the opposite window and squeeze the horn. These horns can be heard for a mile over water. Everyone said this tactic would scare them off.

Common Lock and Alarm Mistakes

* Putting a deadbolt or other expensive lock on a flimsy door that can be kicked in. Also: Thinking that this lock will do the trick. The burglar simply uses a bigger crowbar.
* Not locking a door when you’re home.
* Positioning a lock on a door with a glass window in such a way that if the window is broken, the burglar can reach in and unlock the door.
* Installing the burglar alarm on/off switch outside the house, not inside it.
* Forgetting to turn on your alarm.

Some Burglar Survey Results

* 85% were deterred by hearing a TV or radio in the house.
* 75% were more likely to go through windows than doors.
* 85% cased out a house before hitting it.
* Only 20% picked locks or tried to pick them. Why: it takes too much skill. There are so many faster ways into a house.
* 63% cut the phone lines before entering.
* 65% said that a large unfriendly dog would scare them away. Most frightening: Dobermans.
* 80% looked in garage windows to see if a home owner’s car was there.
* 50% said the neighborhood security guards didn’t deter them.
* 72% made their entrance from the back.
* 56% continued to burglarize if they were already inside when they realized that people were at home but asleep.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I am in agreement with those that suggest someone is looking to rob your home. The girl with the fake accent knocks on the door to see if anyone is home and try to get an idea of the layout and head count. My gut tells me that your home has been watched. The reason why she seemed surprised that there was no "students" living there is because they already knew that the OP lived there. She admits that she just graduated high school, but they do not know that. The OP was seen and they assumed she was still in school. Hence her response when your mother said no students live at the residence.

The 2 guys pulling into the drive way makes no sense though. Either they thought no one would be there and planned to make entry today... or.. and I am not trying to scare you, they were planning a home invasion type of scene and planned to make entry right then and there. I have to ask, when they pulled up, did the girl with the fake accent make any type of signal to the men? I get the feeling that she may have signaled them to NOT make their move yet. 2 guys pulling up, standing there, then leaving with no words being spoke is just beyond odd.

I would advise your mother to look into some type of home security. If money is an issue, it can be very easy to make a "panic room" with very little cost depending on the layout of the home. Keep some lights on at night outside the home and do your best to be aware of anything you see that just seems out of place. Go back to basics. Do not open the door to strangers. With that being said, if someone wants in they will find a way in, so be prepared to defend yourself. It can take the police several minutes to show up after calling 911, so you need to be ready to depend on and protect yourself.

Edited to add: I also have a couple more strong suggestions.

1. Be aware of what is OUTSIDE your home. You dont want to leave anything outside that can be used to make entry. Anything that can break a window or help a thief get to a high window. Some common things to look for are decorative garden or lawn ornaments, rocks, tools, rakes, brooms, shovels. Trash cans can be used to get to a higher window or an awning.

2. When you or your mother leave your home, drive around the block and take a peek around the neighborhood. I can not shake the feeling that your home has already been watched from a distance. Look for the cars you saw on a side street, or down the road. Watching from a distance. I would also do it before returning home.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by MrWendal]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
There used to be a very cool TV show on teh Discovery channel called "It takes a thief". In this reality show they used legit Burglars. They would find a good place to rob, tell the home owners what they were going to do and get them to agree. They would not tell them when they would rob the place, just that it was coming. After the robbery they would return everything to the home owners. They would clean the place up again, and then install security systems and do other things to improve the security of the home. Then they would come back and try to rob the place again. It was actually a really cool show. Here is one video you can check out. Finding full episodes online have proven to be a challenge thus far.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by HarmonicNights

Casing the joint and the neighborhood.
Your mum needs a bit more tactical awareness.
Whenever I answer the door for a stranger I always have a pistol on my belt as to suggest at no time am I disarmed, which would probably be a good assumption as I am no spring chicken anymore and fist fighting is for geeks who wanna look tough, I don’t I wanna survive.
On top of that I would have started into my interrogation as to why are you in my private driveway and followed it up by writing down a plate number along with a description and then instructing the person that if they are asking about children it would be best for their mortality to steer clear of my neighborhood as I am the passive one on the block.
I am not really but I am definitely the most forward as I live in a hood full of older war vets, all in all they make awesome neighbors.
Keep your eyes open the next week.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Fryaga

Why would they be asking about children whats up with that pretty freaky

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by zerbot565

LOL I just read your post and you got us down to the number.
Our politicians are robbers in thousand dollar suits or 6 thousand in a few months adjusting for their inflation.
They smile as they rob us and say it will stop hurting in a bit!

On the original topic I forgot to add, there is no need to put on a fake smile for strangers at your door as they are either trying to sell you something or just straight up rob you.
Chances are you will never run into them again so be frank with them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join