It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yahoo's increased free storage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I'm sure most the yahoo users here have noticed, Yahoo has increased their mailbox size to 100 MB instead of 20 or whatever it was before.

My question is, why?

I dont pay yahoo a cent, and i dont pay their advertisters either, as im sure quite a few yahoo users do the same as i do.(yes, i did feel this was ok to put in ATS, and here is why)

Does Yahoo want to win over more users? what do they hope to accomplish? is this some big plan to start winning over the internet using world?

If anyone has theories, please post

---pineapple

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I would imagine it is to get more users, but not for any conspiracy related reasons. It is probably for more revenue. It always comes down to the almighty $.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 12:46 AM
link   
To compete with gmail, I'd guess.
Not real sure if there's a conspiracy involved ... it's just a matter of marketing.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Here is the info you all seek, and yes, it is because of Gmail:
CNN

:-D

In fact, most of the free email services are doing the same thing. Microsoft will probably follow with Hotmail next.

[edit on 6-16-2004 by EmbryonicEssence]

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 12:54 AM
link   
i just logged into my account and it has changed a bit i couldnt find my mail section at first i nearly went bezerk
until i noticed it at the bottom

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 01:45 AM
link   
its for gmail, this was even in my papper today

ill be getting a gmail acount before all of you soon
getting invitrd into the beta

for you that dont know, gmail is ganna be googles new email servis that gives free 1000mb's

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Its so you have more room for them to spam you junk

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee
To compete with gmail, I'd guess.
Not real sure if there's a conspiracy involved ... it's just a matter of marketing.

Yeah, I read not too long ago that Yahoo was going to do this to compete with Google. Gmail will take Yahoos business in my opinion. Google is more customer oriented and their service is much better than Yahoo already. I emailed Google about a year ago just to give them kudos and they sent me a T-shirt. You can't even contact Yahoo directly. If you can , I haven't found the way. I have also sent Google emails with just general questions and they always responded quickly. If the Gmail system is as good as their search engine and their customer support stays the way it is, then Yahoo has a battle on their hands.

I asked Google if they plan on a messenger service in the future and they said 'definately'. Yahoo had planned on charging for this service not so long ago. So perhaps a little competition in the area is just what we needed.

And Gmail will offer 1 gig of storage.

Nutzo

[edit on 16-6-2004 by nutzobalzo]

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Last I knew, Yahoo ran Google?

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 02:17 AM
link   
You know.... for some reason I recall seeing Google on Yahoo as well. But whats interesting is that when MSNBot spiders my site it appears to be Yahoo and not MSN that gets updated.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Ah, just ran across this trying to figure out if Google is/was ran by Yahoo.

story.news.yahoo.com.../nf/20040615/bs_nf/25392

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Man I hope Google never sells out to Yahoo!

Google is still a young company too. I think it is great that they are moving to the top of the list. I'm all about the underdog. But once Google starts to take over, will they become just as unfriendly as Yahoo and MSN? I hope not. Remember your roots Google!

Nutzo

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   
It is to compete with google Gmail with two very important excetions. First, as a dsl use I now have a "2" gig mail box-what I a, ging to do with it is secondary. Second, to the best of my knowledge, the will not go through the email and send targeted ads to you.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
there wilkl be adds on the right just like they do on the searches

hey, nothings free!

new topics

top topics

join