It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Publishing Advice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Dear ATS,

Forgive me if this is not the appropriate venue for posting this kind of general request for advice, but I've been disappointed at just about every other forum I've been asking questions in and I guess this is my last hope...if the ATS community can't help on this one, maybe nobody can.

I've been preparing a non-fiction book concerning subjects including crypto-zoology, crypto-botany/-biology, and crypto-cartography with specific focus on the Caribbean/Central American region for the last few years, however now that the manuscript is (relatively) finished I'm finding it very difficult to find a publisher willing to take my project seriously.

The problem isn't the writing itself, I'm pretty sure, as I have have two previous non-fiction titles to my credit on more mainstream subjects and I also have professional experience as a technical writer. My writing may not be Shakespeare but I can definitely string together some basic sentences.

No, I think the problem is the subject matter itself. My literary agent won't touch this stuff. No matter how I try to explain some of the amazing things going on in crypto fields all she hears is "Bigfoot" and treats it all like a joke.

Whether one personally believes in all the findings claimed or not isn't the point, in my view. It's about a free spirit of inquiry, and about not being afraid to find things that run against convention. These subjects are worthy of our attention. At least, that's how I feel, and that's how my father felt (who dedicated decades of his life to doing the kind of field research somebody like me only reads about).

Anyway, sorry for running on so long. I'm just frustrated after being turned down so many times for material that I know is decent, and definitely of interest to lots of people out there.

Does anyone have any advice? Does anyone know of an open-minded publisher?

Should I just give up beating my head against a wall and just go for self-publishing? Or will Amazon and the like just refuse to list serious crypto titles?

I would really appreciate any thoughts the ATS community might have. I've put a lot of work into this manuscript, and I really think it deserves to see the light of day. I need to know how to make that a reality.

Yours,
A Struggling Author

[edit on 13-7-2010 by BookScout]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by BookScout

I'd definitely say don't give up! I don't know much about getting published, so I can't help much there, but I'd say if you can't generate interest with mainstream publishers to self publish (either via a site like www.lulu.com... or a local printer).

I'm guessing you wouldn't get as much exposure, but at least your book could be purchased by those who would want to read it.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS and I hope you find the answers you are looking for. Unfortunately, the subject matter you described is seen as a fringe to mainstream publishers as well as the general populous. I would look for publishers who do publish this type of book, you could start with the people who publish UFO magazine. I really don't know much about the subject so this is just a suggestion.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Melen

@Melen

Indeed I have checked out Lulu specifically as an option, it's just that, frankly, it would seem like a step down in terms of my writing career to go from being carried by two small but reasonably well-respected publishers to...well, to the last resort of self-publishing. I feel like it would make me look like a crank.

I'll certainly be keeping the self-publishing option in my mind, but I'm avid to find an established house if any will have me!

Thanks for your reply.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ChicUFO

@ChicUFO

Thank you. I'm not at all averse to being picked up by a house that caters to a broad range of so-called "fringe" subjects. As long as they're a going concern and will furnish me with a legitimate ISBN catalogue entry and everything, I'd be quite satisfied.

Are there any fringe publications you might specifically recommend I follow up on?

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Sorry, I can't help you our there but go to any Borders or other book outlet and buy a book listing all the publishing houses. Those books are divided into categories and I'm sure you will find it helpful. I have two of them, both outdated now, but I had wanted to get published so I bought them. I didn't get published but I really didn't try that hard. I am my worst critic.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Look at books on similar subjects to see who published them, look in magazines perhaps, such as Nexus. I think you'd be better off trying to find an agent who would take on such a book, as you are always better off with an agent negotiating, etc, for you - plus they already know the right publishers, obviously. Perhaps your agent would know of an agent like this.

Good luck

[edit on 13-7-2010 by ShadowArcher]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ChicUFO

Writers' and Artists' Yearbook is the best for that.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowArcher

@ShadowArcher

Thanks. I feel I've been down that road before, but that doesn't mean there aren't stones left unturned.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
You'll probably have to self-pub. The only ones handling that sort of material are the very small press publishers, and they get a LOT of submissions. If your book is lengthy, they won't be eager to handle it, since it would be expensive to produce.

Self pubbing is probably your best bet. Even the pros do this when there's something they want out but isn't right for any particular publisher.

(speaking from experience, here.)

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Find out who else has published in your area and where they got published. Did they have agents as well? Your current agent might not handle the sort of book you've just written. I'd be a little surprised if the publishers of crypto-x material required agented scripts, but who knows.

Go to conferences where this subject is handled and scout out any editors or publishers that might be there. You don't want to stalk them, but make yourself and your work known.

Try to get a sense for the market. Is it already saturated with your topic area? Is your topic too narrow? (Carribean crytpo-x materials versus a more general treatment.)

In the end, getting published is finding the right publisher/editor at the right time who wants want you've written. It's a hard knock life. Good luck.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
The only problem with these vanity publishers is they want you to pay for the whole affair then ship the books to you leaving you with a pile of books, major bills, and the daunting task of handling your own marketing and distribution. Get a copy of the Writers Market Place, or the Market Guide and freelance that sucker. Good luck though, print is dying a slow death IMO.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Welcoe to ATS.

The Weiser Field Guide is one of the latets book regarding the subject,
It was published by Red Wheel: redwheelweiser.com...
Have you contacted them?

Many publishers tackle the subject so I'm a little bit surprised by your opening post I must say, It could be that your Book is too similar to many of the others available on the market now?

Does your Book present any revelations to the subject matter?
You would need to stand out in a list of many other Books that tackle the subject perhaps?

It could also just be the wrong time, subjects like this seem to become popularized every now and then, just wait for the next big sighting or Movie Loch Ness Monster returns

Other Publishers...

www.sasquatchbooks.com...

www.mcclelland.com...

www.harpercollins.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   

I had the some toubles with my space books and dream books. But I found Lulu.com and published it through them and my books ended up on Amazon, WH Smith and quite a few other stores.

top topics

join