It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N.J. court lowers language barrier for DUI-test consent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

N.J. court lowers language barrier for DUI-test consent

www.usatoday.com

When German Marquez was charged with driving while impaired by Plainfield, N.J., police in 2007, he was read a statement in English warning him of the penalties he faced if he did not submit to a breath test.

Marquez, who speaks Spanish but not English, says he did not understand and did not take the test. In addition to a driving-while-impaired charge, he was charged with failure to take a breath test.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Bottom line is that now the police in NJ must make sure the statement is read to the person being asked to take the test in their own language.

Guess this makes sense, but I guess now it's going to have to be extrapolated to every non-English speaking person, no matter what their language. That's going to cost some bucks.

Logistically, the police already seem to have it covered by providing audio and written versions of the statement. The test for getting a license in NJ is already provided it 17 languages.

Also from the article...

"Washington state has the statement written in English and Spanish, as well as a telephone language service available to translate it into other languages. The Washington State Patrol reports the language line was used 49 times in 2009 and 29 times so far in 2010."

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7/13/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
In Louisiana you can refuse the breath test. They will not charge you with not taking the test. Never take this test. It gives the cops evidence against you. If you do not take the test it's much easier to fight and win in court. I have heard this advice from both lawyers and cops.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I posted this in the about this already at Ongoing Thread

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I saw this story earlier and it is simply absurd. If the officer's don't know the language of the suspect they must transport them to the precinct so that they may watch a video in the proper language explaining their rights. Meanwhile, as time slips by, the alcohol level will drop and the suspects may end up passing the breathalyzer test. So, off they go to drink and drive another day. Pretty easy to claim/fake that you can't speak English if you fluently speak another language.

Just ridiculous. Nothing like a law to protect the law breakers. To all of you law abiding citizens in NJ... watch out for drunk drivers who slip through the cracks of our rapidly eroding justice system.

What kind of precedent will this set??

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

it does make sense for legal purposes. But if you want to stop the problem of multiple languages, start where it starts. Most immigrants have a birth rate of 4 or more, legal and illegal. To force them to learn English, and their children, would aid in this situation.

Remember, you cannot have multiculturalism with multi linguistics. multiculturalism can only exist with one language.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

I think they want a race war here in the states. Out of chaos comes order.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

Oooo didn't find it. Sorry. Thanks for letting me know. Carry on there!

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Actually, they have computers and cell phones with audio, so they have that part covered. But still...if you're here long enough to get a license here...

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I really hate these types of topics. Im my mind they are really stupid, and the stupidity of others amazes me even more.

If I go to France, and I find that I am unable to order a cheeseburger when I am hungry, who's fault is that? Is it the French's fault for not having a menu printed in English? Is it my fault because I knew I was going to France, I knew they spoke French, so I should learn how to say Cheeseburger in French?

Obviously, in the above scenario I should learn how to say hamburger avec fromage and if I can't say that, than it is my own damn fault if I starve. It's called taking personal responsibility.

Now in the case the OP posted, if you are in America and you know we speak English.. learn some damn English. It is that simple. Clearly in this case if you can not speak English, chances are you can not read English which also means you can not read road signs like "One Way", "Stop", "This lanes Merges", "Driving over strips will deflate your tires". If you can not read basic traffic signs you are a danger to others on the road to begin with.

new topics

top topics

join