It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a correlation between new ATS members and crazy subjects posted?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I don't mean what you think I mean!
I don't mean are new members posting crazy posts, but are they joining BECAUSE of crazy posts.
Look at todays recent posts! I don't want to name anybody, but we have a new influx of "end of the world-doomsday" stuff, and several that are just.....out there.
New members! Do these kind of posts motivate you to join? Is it coincidence?
I joined because of an insane thread that said WW2 was a hoax!
Why did you?
I'm really curious to see if anybody else has any thoughts on this.

[edit on 13-7-2010 by OldDragger]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Nope. No corelation at all. Happens all the time, regardless if new or old members.

Utimately, ATS is about giving a person his/her chance to voice, an universal right that is gradually being diminished in the real world. And also ultimately, it gives another the right to respond based upon what is posted.

It will be your free will to respond or not to, just as my choice and free will to respond to yours.

Cheers.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I joined because I heard an interview about the site on Art Bells show a few weeks ago. The only other forum I read or post at is a general topic forum for a site that used to be dedicated primarily to wizards in a certain MMO.

I love conspiracies, but in all honesty, am a lousy believer. I just think they make for fun reading.

Robert Anton Wilson's The Illuminatus Trilogy springs to mind.

Take from that what you will.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I still wonder if the frantic martial law/ oil spill doom/ cosmic catastrophe stuff doesn't at least initialy, prompt people to join.
On a related note, why do so many join, yet never participate?

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
You might be on to something there. I don't know.

My reason for joining was the swine flu scare last year.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Well... It is made pretty clear... not to post the same topic, over and over again.

I think it's weird. I joined because I had something to say about the topics I read.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I joined after a couple of years of lurking, because I got curious about the members and wanted to see their avatars, which often give personality to a post, they say a bit about the member behind the post.
It wasn't enough just to read it all anymore. Plus I am able to put in my 2 cents.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I became aware of ATS because it was the first choice that google offered up.

I joined cause they promised less adverts for members.

I then started posting and once my first post was launched out into the ether i became addicted!

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I joined because there is, sorry has to be more to life than what we are told...... We, as children question everything but this is soon 'washed out' of us through education and the media.

I am looking for information I would not have normally found, to try and help me understand the world we live in more depth......

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Summertime means that school is out...we usually see this, though this year is so far kind of tame to years past...

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

I understand that, but what I'm asking is......
do outlandish topics CAUSE people to join.
I think I know WHY people post them.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
It's the same as it's always been. I roll my eyes when I see some of the thread titles, but then again, I'm sure I've been interested in a few threads that other folk have scoffed at.

Take that wacky cloud melting thread from few years back. Crazy huh? Well I melted some clouds and posted there too, lol.

Each to their own.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

I've been posting on here since '04. I've lurked since the site went live.

A couple years ago, a ton of religious nuts flooded ATS. I refer to it as the "ATS Christian Conspiracy". I've seen it done to other forums I frequent - some religious group (Jesus forums? Youth groups? I have no clue where they come from) all decides to focus on one public board to proselytize their beliefs while masquerading as legit members of the community.

Back in the good ol' days, you would have religious stuff in the proper forum. And it encompassed all aspects of religion and spirituality, not just the guy on the cross. Now 50% of everything posted on ATS has religious undertones.

I stopped posting about a year ago because the place has gotten to be unbearable. However, I keep finding myself coming back in hopes that things will get better. You used to go to Recent Posts and almost every-single one would get your attention. I miss that.

One thing this site lacks are people who will stand up and let someone know they are talking out of their ass. Even the slightest bit of heated discussion would get your account flagged or banned. Posts are censored now like never before and I think that reflects what has happened to the forum.

I figure now is the time to be vocal and see if things can change for the better. I'll flat out troll any thread that comes off one-sided now. Anything religious that isn't in the proper subforum i'll troll. I'll even troll those people making the completely retarded posts that you are talking about in the OP. The best that can happen would be ATS returning to a plethora of knowledge. If I end up getting banned, that will just let me know this place is hopeless.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by wigit
Each to their own.

Too right, what is crazy to someone is sane to another.

Do you think a person starving cares about the oil well, no, if you mentioned it to them, they would think your bonkers, while they are in need of food.

Its all relative.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
if you havent noticed the worlds craziness has revved up and the tires are smokin.
more meds- disfunctions - societal meltdown- exponential uncertainty.
weary of war on this- war on that -warred out- disaster /crisis/ terror/
steady stream jibberish - watching the fat rats jump ship ..
and theres more to come.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

What? You think my posts are crazy? Well, you can just take this post and stick it up your.. oops.

humor

ETA - I found this site because I always did/do my own independent research, so every time I searched a topic of my interest, Google kept linking to this site. It seems the WORLD REVOLVES AROUND ATS. Being a guy that likes to argue my point, I thought I'd join just to piss you.. oops.

Seriously, everything I'm interested in is here - and the people are cool, even the.. oops.

Peace

[edit on 13-7-2010 by FearNoEvil]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I joined just a couple of days ago. I didn't intentionally come here; it was one of the many random websites StumbleUpon dropped me on. I'm glad it did.

I looked around a bit. I was really confused to be honest. I didn't see most of the topics until after I joined, so it definitely wasn't a factor for me.

I'm always interested in alternate news, and it appears ATS is a busy site, so I was hoping that there would be more signal amongst the noise, if you catch my meaning.

I'm good at ignoring crazy topics. I've had more of a problem getting used to ATS site itself. It's kinda big, and confusing for newbies. I'm getting there tho.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I think that sometimes the zaniest posts get mentioned on blogs or in tweets and then become more likely to turn up higher in the various search engines' results. I can't quite remember which thread first pulled me in a couple of years ago or more, but I recall that it...demanding an exceedingly "open mind" of its readers. But then in poking around the site I found many discussions more clearly rooted in the reality we all share. What can I say? It takes diff'rent strokes...

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
[Sorry, double post by mistake]

[edit on 13-7-2010 by BookScout]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by p51mustang

So...it's the same as it ever was /
There is nothing new under the Sun.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join