It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

first lady encourages vacation in the gulf.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
news article link

First Lady Encourages Americans to Vacation on Gulf – But Obamas Head to Maine Instead July 12, 2010 6:35 PM On her first trip to the Gulf Coast since the BP oil spill, First Lady Michelle Obama encouraged Americans to consider vacationing on the region’s beaches that have not been directly impacted by oil. “It is vacation time. Folks are looking for things to do with their kids, and this would be a great opportunity to do a few things -- help this community, send a different message about the extent of the spill, and also think long term about how the rest of the country can help this economy and the folks down here,” Mrs. Obama said at the Panama City Welcome Center. The Obama family will be taking a mini-vacation of their own this weekend, but instead of going to the Gulf Coast they are traveling to Maine’s Mount Desert Island, home of Acadia National Park.

yet, meanwhile, the obama's head for their vacation in maine.
i just found this so hypocritical i had to post it.
my reccomendation,
a swim suit
sunblock and
a gas mask.

mod edit, snip quote and add "encourage" to title for clarity

Mod Note: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Tue Jul 13 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Doesn't the first Lady know that the only way to encourage
others is to do the task yourself also?

Another hypocritical loony toon just like her husband.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
how DARE she encourage people to go contribute to the economy down there.

what a horrible woman.

Doesnt she know EVERYONE in the Gulf region is literally covered in oil?!!??

Everyone is dead and dying and the UN has come and shut it down and killed everyone and the oil has covered every stretch of the beach everywhere and all life is dead! ZOMG!

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by justadood

As someone who lives on the Gulf Coast, I find your comments to be offensive and they really make you come off like an idiot.

Also as someone who lives here, I must say you would be a fool to come here to vacation right now. We have dumped so much crap into the ocean, combined with what is pouring into the ocean, there is no telling what impact it would have on someone's health. Just because you do not see the oil, does not mean you can jump into the water and you will be safe. There are too many reports that suggest otherwise.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

When does the first lady plan her trip to wade in the oil infested waters of the gulf?

LOL I sure can bet this won't be anytime soon.

More likely never.

Good post!

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by theability

to be clear, she encouraged people to contribute to the local economies, not to swim in the oil.

not that such a distinction will be noticed by those whose minds are pre-determined.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
that woman has a huge mouth,.. like big huge

Oh yeah lets go on vacation cause she sez so,..
they should do it first,.. and let the brats swim in the gulf

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal

As someone who lives on the Gulf Coast, I find your comments to be offensive and they really make you come off like an idiot.

You are not the only person who lives on the Gulf Coast. Are you saying no one should come down there and contribute to the economy? As someone who has family on the Gulf Coast, i find YOUR comments offensive. So were even :-) lol.

Also as someone who lives here, I must say you would be a fool to come here to vacation right now. We have dumped so much crap into the ocean, combined with what is pouring into the ocean, there is no telling what impact it would have on someone's health. Just because you do not see the oil, does not mean you can jump into the water and you will be safe. There are too many reports that suggest otherwise.

Where did she suggest you jump in the water?

She's encouraging people to contribute to the economy. If you live there, you would know this is important. I have family on the east Coats of Florida. their jobs are connected to tourism. Why do you want them to Starve!!!??? :-)

I have friends who grew up in Waveland. They went down last week to visit family.

Your hyperbole is useless and your outrage is partisan.

have a good day, and be well.

[edit on 13-7-2010 by justadood]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Oh I am going to do exactly what a hypocritical bigot tells me to do.

The first lady is a dang fool just like her husband, I bet she feels like she is really helping the situation right now.

What would the NAACP do?

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Yeah...just before the oil leak started we had considered taking the kids to the Harry Potter Theme Park & maybe a trip to the beach...

Lemme just call Michelle up and we can be roomies! or bunk mates! and then we can go to the beach & wade in the surf...

Oh no...You're the First Lady, by all means...you first!

::edit for typo::

[edit on 13-7-2010 by jenmckin]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Such BS! Don't do as I do, do as I say - where have we all heard that before?

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
oh.

my apologies.

i didnt realize this was the irrational personal attacks on the Obamas for petty, nonsensical, emotionally reactionary reasons thread.

I prefer to criticize the President for REAL things, like the war in afghanistan, or for corporate subsidies while small farms suffer. you know, things he can actual have some control over.

But, no, feel free to make asinine personal attacks on his wife because she dare suggest that the PEOPLE who LIVE down there still have an economy and (some) jobs.

And after that, you should make some comments on her outfit!

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
hang on here a second. as far as i know she did not mention where to go, and where not to go. all she said was 'not impacted by oil.'

the benzine and other gasses don't necessarily travel the same directions.
there's plenty on this board about these things.

my apologies to the locals, but until we know the extent of the damage, i wouldn't say, hey come visit.

unless i added, just watch the little ones, if they get dizzy and pass out on the beautiful white beach, get out.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Already posted here www.abovetopsecret.com...

Edit screwed up link

[edit on 13-7-2010 by JMech]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   

No, she is quoted as saying:

Michelle Obama Says Beaches are Oil Free

And...

It's Pristine...

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Hmm, If I remembered correctly, didn't Obama say that it was safe to eat seafood from the Gulf? I believe we have a thread on this somewhere...

Anyways, I can see that both of them are hypocrites, big time.

This is like dropping a cupcake on a dusty floor, and telling someone to take a bite, assuring them that's it's safe to eat it.

I'm not going to take a bite until you take one first.

So, come on, Michelle, what are you waiting for? Put on that two piece, bathe in the sun, and take a dunk in the oily waters there, just for the Hell of it.

Yeah...that's what I thought.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by justadood

Originally posted by MrWendal

You are not the only person who lives on the Gulf Coast. Are you saying no one should come down there and contribute to the economy? As someone who has family on the Gulf Coast, i find YOUR comments offensive. So were even :-) lol.

Actually, you say your family is on the east coast of Florida... if you lived anywhere near here you would know that the east coast of Florida is not the Gulf Coast, that is the East Coast. Hence calling it the "East Coast of Florida" So if you can not make that distinction, I can't say I trust your view on what may or may not be "offensive". There is nothing wrong with contributing to the State's economy. There is something wrong with telling them the beaches are fine, come and visit, come enjoy yourself in order to prop up the State's economy when you know that the beaches are not safe.

Where did she suggest you jump in the water?

She's encouraging people to contribute to the economy. If you live there, you would know this is important. I have family on the east Coats of Florida. their jobs are connected to tourism. Why do you want them to Starve!!!??? :-)

I have friends who grew up in Waveland. They went down last week to visit family.

Your hyperbole is useless and your outrage is partisan.

have a good day, and be well.

[edit on 13-7-2010 by justadood]

She is encouraging travel to the State in order to contribute to the economy. Now I will type really slow so that maybe you will be able to keep up. What is Florida known for? What brings in the tourist? The answer is easy, Disneyland and the Beaches. She is doing a photo op from the beach. She doesn't have to say "jump in the water", it is clearly implied. If she was suggesting that people travel to Disneyland, I am sure she would have been standing next to Mickey Mouse and saying, come visit Florida.

But since that may take too much thinking on your behalf to come to that conclusion, instead I will point to the VERY FIRST paragraph of the news article posted in the OP which says...

On her first trip to the Gulf Coast since the BP oil spill, First Lady Michelle Obama encouraged Americans to consider vacationing on the region’s beaches that have not been directly impacted by oil.

So clearly if you had bothered to read the OP before coming in blindly and defending this Administration you would already know that YES she is suggesting that people go to the beaches. Now what do people do when they go to the beaches? They go in the water. It is very simple logic.

There is something partisan going on here, and it is not my outrage.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by MrWendal]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
My husband & I went to Gulf Shores on vacation last year and fell in love with the area & people. This year we originally decided to go to the Shenandoah Valley for vacation but yesterday morning we both made up our minds to go back down to the Gulf Shores area. Please let me be clear, we made this decision before Mrs. Obama's statements. Neither one of us are a fan of the Obamas & we definitely do not trust them.

So you might ask, why are we going. Well like I said we love the area & the people. The best way we can help out is through our tourist dollars. I'm not a fan of swimming in the ocean and the place we are staying at has a pool. So no loss to me on swimming the the Gulf. As for the air being toxic, I guess we will solve that debate for ourselves when we get down there. Besides I keep reading that the chemicals are being brought up far inland by weather systems. I live in the south east, so if this is true, every passing system is contaminating me anyway. Another reason we are going is to find out what in the heck is really going on. Some people say it's doom & gloom, while others say it's not that bad and people are just being tragedy whores. I guess we will see.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

to be clear, she encouraged people to contribute to the local economies, not to swim in the oil.

not that such a distinction will be noticed by those whose minds are pre-determined.

Gulf region and water go hand in hand, you do know this right?

Why would people go to the gulf??

To be near the water!

Why go support the local economy if there isn't a reason to go?

I'm not trying to be the devils advocate here, but again.

Sheesh.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join