It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teens Now Getting High Off "Digital Drugs"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Melen

I know this. I think the biggest difference between the two frequencies to create the 3rd is 30hz. So i think my point still stands...

I may be wrong, but as i said most binaural frequencies operate on a mid range frequency level. So most headphones will support this.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerekJR321
If im not mistaken, you need special headphones for any of these to work. Most "off the shelf" headphones don't go low enough or high enough in frequency for any of these binaureal (sp?) programs to have any effect at all.

You can use any headphones... the frequencies are created "inside your head" by playing two higher frequencies together with a gap of about 30hz. Normally the 'root' frequencies are in the 1kHz to 2.5kHz region (interestingly enough that's where your voice peaks), so the headphones only have to be able to reproduce the roots, your brain does the rest.

I've had a good play with them in the past (I spent the last 10 years working as a touring live sound engineer and it can get quite boring
) and they definitely have an effect.

[edit on 13-7-2010 by eightfold]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
reply to post by Melen

I know this. I think the biggest difference between the two frequencies to create the 3rd is 30hz. So i think my point still stands...

I may be wrong, but as i said most binaural frequencies operate on a mid range frequency level. So most headphones will support this.

I might be misunderstanding what you're saying, so apologies in advance if that's the case.

Your ears do not hear the binaural beat at all. The resulting beat is done inside your brain, so the headphones (and your ears) have to be able to hear the carrier frequency.

This is an important distinction. The headphones do not need to support the binaural beat itself (be that .230Hz, or 10Hz), it needs to support the carrier frequencies (which can be almost anything, tho most people seem to try and follow the Oster Curve, tho I have no idea if that really helps).

The carrier frequency is referring to the actual tones coming out of your headphones, which are slightly different. The binaural beat frequency is referring to the tone your brain interprets based on the difference between the two slightly different tones coming through the headphones. You don't actually "hear" the binaural beats in the same way you "hear" music, as I understand it.

From en.wikipedia.org...:

A beating tone will be perceived, as if the two tones mixed naturally, out of the brain. The frequency of the tones must be below about 1,000 to 1,500 hertz for the beating to be heard. The difference between the two frequencies must be small (below about 30 Hz) for the effect to occur; otherwise, the two tones will be heard separately and no beat will be perceived.

--

I'm not sure if the Oster Curve is scientific fact or not. I find little real information on it, tho most of the binaural beats related sites seem to adhere to it. Weird.

Incidentally, this site has a list of frequencies and what they supposedly do:

www.lunarsight.com...

As it says on the top, some of it is probably verifiable with science, while some is crap. I'm skeptical of most of it, but I had it bookmarked and figured I'd pass it along.

[edit on 13-7-2010 by Melen]

[edit on 13-7-2010 by Melen]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Lol this has to be a joke right??? Can't believe I'm even reading this stuff. Arn't binaural beats supposed to help you with meditation? I tried a couple out for that reason, but had no effect, they just helped me easy my consternation on nothing by making the outside noises go away. Nothing special. Now they are considered as drugs?? Ahaahha, I cant wait to see what 's next.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
On topic... I've played with these pretty extensively, and a friend of mine build a pair of sub boxes (2 x 18" monster speakers) that if you got them in just the right place they would beat at sub 10Hz. It was good fun, but didn't work in the true binaural way - they were more about vibrating your whole body rather than creating an auditory illusion. : )

As to 'getting high' from certain frequencies... I'm not so sure. As someone else said earlier in the thread, there are more reliable ways to achieve that.

From my experience in club land the kids are getting high off actual drugs - coc aine, amphetamines, methodrone, MDMA, 2CB/I, acid & mushrooms mainly. I've yet to come across anyone selling binaural beats.

[edit on 13-7-2010 by eightfold]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Makes me wanna laugh, over in the UK there is a teen who has if memory serves me correct gone to the European Courts and has had support on his complaint against those devices that emit a high frequency sound that only a certain age group can hear i.e. teens, these devices are in places outside of shops, business premises etc to stop teens congregating and therefore nip any potential trouble in the bud.

Yet if this thread is correct then teens are quite happy to listen to different noise frequencies to get off there collective heads, you just couldn't make this stuff up

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

My hearing is great. And some songs I listen to do create feelings of happiness or act like caffeine. But these songs, which are ambient music and sound similar, are not anywhere near the same "beat" as these.

For example, this song keeps me thinking. It really helps to play it while studying. It also helps me stay up for school work.

www.music.mcgill.ca...

I just think my brain is different. These songs posted here do nothing for me because my brain operates at a different level and methodical patterns than others.

credit for sound:

HMMM Remix Compilation (le-son 666, 2007)

Doug Van Nort.

[edit on 13-7-2010 by Gorman91]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolfie_UK
Makes me wanna laugh, over in the UK there is a teen who has if memory serves me correct gone to the European Courts and has had support on his complaint against those devices that emit a high frequency sound that only a certain age group can hear i.e. teens, these devices are in places outside of shops, business premises etc to stop teens congregating and therefore nip any potential trouble in the bud.

Yet if this thread is correct then teens are quite happy to listen to different noise frequencies to get off there collective heads, you just couldn't make this stuff up

Well the difference lies in how we react to these frequencies. High pitched freqs are unlikely to be heard by older people due to hearing range decay. So it makes sense that the security sounds to disperse teens are of a higher irritating pitch.

these binaural beats are totally different - and being honest i don't think anyone is getting high off them at all.

This is overblown nonsense. Binaural beats are used to trigger brain frequencies. Just google brain waves and you'll see that they are used to put people in various states of relaxation.

There is NO comparions between recreational drugs and binaural beats. trust me on this.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
dbl post

[edit on 13-7-2010 by THE_PROFESSIONAL]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Kids are so incompetent these days, all they know how to do is text and play video games. I bet if WW3 happened they wouldn't know how to operate a f-22 fighter or would be too fat to move and die, but most likely surrender

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

just think my brain is different. These songs posted here do nothing for me because my brain operates at a different level and methodical patterns than others.

Well, arguably all our brains are diverse from other brains, but I have to say, whatever's going on in yours must be different than mine - as I found the music you posted very unsettling, I could almost classify it as disturbing.

I'm not dissing your music, more, supporting your above statement.

peace

Just out of sheer curiosity, what kind of music do you listen to normally - outside binaural?

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I've actually tried this thing out extensively in the past.

They don't really work. Some of them do, but most don't. And I have meditated a lot in the past and I've used devices like this that are just more sophisticated to do so.

But so what? What are we going to do? Legislate what kinds of sounds we can hear?

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Reply to

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
If it really worked it would be amazing.

Since it does not I don't see what the big deal is. Teens are a curious lot, I find it positive teens are still curious, as opposed to apathetic.

This is very old news I down idoser years ago.

But thank you for sharing, I find the idea of the binaural beats and the working on brain frequencies fascinating.

And the other skeptics.

This technology does work for most people and your brain waves do atune to the frequency. What is false here is that kids are getting high on this in the sense of getting high with illegal drugs.

This is no different than what you can do with deep meditation. In fact, that's what this really does.. it helps you meditate. It helps you get ver relaxed. Nothing more is promised.

Some people do use this to help self hypnotize themselves and (same thing as deep meditation just another word for it) and in this state you can be very suggestive to help you quit smoking or drinking or over eating etc.

I teen will not get a feeling of highness like smoking pot with this, so that claim that teens get high on it is misleading. But.. I would rather my teen sit in his room and do this than be out with friends smoking pot.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
Kids are so incompetent these days, all they know how to do is text and play video games. I bet if WW3 happened they wouldn't know how to operate a f-22 fighter or would be too fat to move and die, but most likely surrender

Your fox mulder avatar is hilarious, I pictured him saying your post.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
So now they are attaking guided meditation.This world gets stranger all the time.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

I disagree. Some of the young people on this board are amazingly intelligent. I have run across some brilliant minds only to discover they were adolescents. And, video games are actually considered by the military to be excellent pre-combat training. Which I find unfortunate, but it is what it is.

Studies seem to indicate that IQ goes up with each generation, so, on many fronts, I have to disagree. Just because they dont value the things our generation or the generations that came before us is not a reflection on their worth. It may be a reflection on ours as things change and the pace of things continues to increase.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
to the expert in regards to headphones:

Binaural beats can also be observed without headphones, they appear when playing two different pure tones through loudspeakers. The sound perceived is quite similar: with auditory events which move through the room, at low frequency differences, and diffuse sound at slightly bigger frequency differences. At bigger frequency differences apparent localized sound sources appear

en.wikipedia.org...

this is why I suggested professionaly made recordings or techniques.

[edit on 13-7-2010 by Danbones]

[edit on 13-7-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

I was speaking directly about the belief that it "gets you high".

Considering I have prior experience with many of the "doses" they have in reality, I've tested that belief. And you're right, they're really good for meditation but they're pretty meaningless.

Besides that, they cost a lot. Thankfully I pirated the program and all the doses. But one of the doses costs 100 dollars. Seriously.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

LOL. You are not the first my friend, and you will certainly not be the last. If you would like to analyze it, and in addition to this, try and see what it does on you, I Will link a few that I usually listen too.

I would not define that original one I linked as music. For my mind, that would be called ambient noise. I listen to it, and allow my brain to see the patterns in this noise, constructing within a custom made song based on the tones there. This is usually, however, after 2 days of no sleep and a project model done for the professor the next morning. It helps keep most of my mind occupied, so that I can take only the parts of my mind that I need and have no distractions. That noise distracts all my mind from looking at distractions elsewhere, and keeps it occupied, while I run on a kind of "minimum consciousness" to get the job done good.

It's essentially programming my own brain.

To see some other stuff I listen to, and what it does to your own mind, here's a few examples.

I hope you don't have nightmares. SOME of it is cheerful at least.

Indeed it is less tone and more music here. The original I posted is from a specific album of experimental music which I only listen to at night while working.

I feel this is quite relevant to the thread also, as we could be looking at the next phase for music. Research into tones and connecting them to feelings in the mind, and more importantly, what emotions it engages in different people.

Analyze away:

Mod Note: These songs are custom songs, not copyright other than to give credit to the maker. I believe these were made by NxSGMusic + song from Valve inc.

[edit on 13-7-2010 by Gorman91]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
Studies seem to indicate that IQ goes up with each generation, so, on many fronts, I have to disagree.

Or, just as likely, the tests for determining IQ have been made easier. There is some precedence out there of schools "dumbing down" their tests so more kids will pass.

It happens, for example: www.nypost.com...

"Partial credit for wrong answers". Wow, I certainly got screwed in school when I was required to actually know the answers.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join