It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP may face probe over bomber

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   

BP may face probe over bomber

www.cnn.com

(CNN) -- A group of U.S. lawmakers have called for an investigation into whether BP may have played a role in lobbying for the release of Abdelbaset al Megrahi to secure an oil contract with the Libyan government.

Megrahi, now 58, was convicted and sentenced to life in prison for the 1988 bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 which killed 270 people, including 189 Americans.

He was released from a Scottish prison on compassionate grounds in August after he was diagnosed with prostate cancer.

"Reports have surfaced indicating that a 2007 oil agreement may have influenced the U.K. and Scottish
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Another reason to love BP. Its like the never-ending story...I can't even say these things surprise me anymore. I find it so telling and sad that when reading things like this I just nod to myself and say, "Sounds about right." Its all about the money right? 270 lives equals 20 years, that's justice.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
The cynic in me feels the timing of this story and the Libyan aide ship approaching Gaza a little to close for comfort

But that to one side if the senate committee investigation did go ahead it would not be an investiagtion of BP, but rather an investigation of the UK and Scottish Govs and political/legal systems.. and any judgement passed by the committee would be against the UK and Scotish govs.

And what could the outcome be? what measures could/would the US implement against the UK, since this issue falls at their feet and not BP.

[edit on 13/7/10 by thoughtsfull]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I heard about this on ther news this morning (radio) and was hoping it would be posted on here, I think this is going to be interesting!

S&F

CX

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Just another one of the many unimaginable dodgy deals that our beloved leaders have done through history. What these people will do for money and oil is hard to fathom at times.

I direct the above comment not just at BP, but at the British government, the US administration, and many, many big companies throughout the world.

CX.

[edit on 13/7/10 by CX]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I was fuming when that man got released, and now he is still alive and well, a free man, and for what? If this was a deal for oil contracts, then it is true that we can all be bought and sold to the highest bidder, used for profit and generally messed around in the name of business.

Saying that, it would be perfect timing to use BP as a scapegoat for everything. I refuse to condone BP's actions, because two wrongs (actually a multitude of wrongs) don't make a right, but governments trying to abuse their power for deals such as this is just as bad.

top topics

join