It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proudly, Even Lovingly Wearing Symbols Of Death/Murder

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by acrux

It does seem odd that Christians would use the symbol of Christ's defeat by death as opposed to the symbols of his victory (him risen again, or perhaps a stone rolled away from a tomb). But it makes more sense when you consider how common the cross is as a symbol, it's been used by numerous deities and has numerous symbolic meanings making it, for lack of a better word, resonant with a lot of people.

Also wasn't it Constantine who saw a heavenly vision of a Cross that inspired him to adopt Christianity as the Roman religion?

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

THIS

should be the symbol of christianity - not necessarily my picture but something representing the same thing:

the empty tomb is the symbol of resurrection and life!

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by queenannie38

I see it as a portal out of the matrix.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by depth om

same difference!

right?

out of the grips of death's illusion is OUT!
free.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
i thought that in the story of Jesus Christ, he died from the spear wound,.. no?
from "the book" aka bible. i may be mistaken but that's what i read and came to believe while i was searching for the correct denomination for myself,..lol. that still gets me.

and as stated before that the symbol of the crucifix was to remind "us"all of the sacrifice that was made for our sins.

and i also believe that crucifixion was first use to "set an example" to all other criminals, enemy's and wrong doers as there was a small governing people to "govern" a lot of people. (fear)
this was all before Christ was crucified .

my 2 cents.

may i please have my change back now???

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by keeff
i thought that in the story of Jesus Christ, he died from the spear wound,.. no?
from "the book" aka bible.

actually, he was already dead, because the spear wound released blood AND water; with the water being, most likely, pericardial fluid.
this would have perhaps been the result of blunt injury to his chest, causing myocardial contusion, incurred maybe when he fell to the ground on the way to the site of the crucifixion.

here is your change:
$0.01

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by skajkingdom

It is agreed by virtually all biblical scholars that the depiction of the Lords supper is an apologetic insertion from the evangelists.

Jesus commanded the Jews one thing (and he WAS sent ONLY to the Jews): "Hear oh Israel, the Lord OUR God, the Lord is ONE."

NOWHERE in the Bible did Jesus command anyone to worship HIM.

virtually all anything hey ... come on now?

John 14:6
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

John 14:10
Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
11Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.
12Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

John 14:23
Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Read the whole chapter though. Scratch that, read the whole book ok?

Here it is made most clear that Jesus is not "blowing his own trumpet". He repeats that he is here on behalf of His Father. At the same time take note of what He says:

the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do

Greater? Me? How?

By going to the Father by way of the Son.

And there's that word again, love.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by harryhaller

Great job trying to show the insanity of th trinity-concept. Also good to read up on wiki. the trinity-concept actually has its roots in babylonian religions.

en.wikipedia.org...

Those who argue for a pagan basis note that as far back as Babylonia, the worship of pagan gods grouped in threes, or triads, was common, and that this influence was also prevalent among the Celts, in Egypt, Greece, Rome. In ancient India, the concept of the trio—Brahma the creator, Shiva the destroyer and Vishnu the preserver dates back to millennia before Christ.

At the very least these issues including the use of a cross in your home or church should be scrutinized to see if its even aproved by god before accepting this from some preacher speaking latin from his pedestal.
there is lots of info available to all wich implies a very possible scenario where these doctrines were added after the completion of the bible.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
if you dont read scripture to know the events that took place then any reply will not suffice because it will not be a direct telling/explanation of what occurred. the cross iconography is an upside down expression of the laws god forbid.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Would the cross and the fish not have been sops thrown to the christians at Nicea? I can almost see the pagans laughing at their success in bringing the christians under their .... "traditions"?

As with the isrealites who wanted a king, the 1st century christians would have wanted a "banner" to fly (under)?

The biggest issue i have with speaking to anyone about christianity, is christianity itself. There ARE many contradictions and inconsistencies involved, christmas being the easiest to see. But when you understand how utterly the christian faith has been misdirected, well you understand the arising confusion.

The Father
The Son
The Holy Spirit

That's the trinity. And if you listen closely, it's something that you have to have inside you to honour, without ANY external signs.

Save a smile

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I use to wear cross jewelry but I have recently gotten rid of it. One thing that gets me is that you often see a lot of christians tatooing crosses on themselve's. Ironically a lot of satanists have crosses tatoo'd on themselve's also. That alone motivated me to NOT want to use crosses anymore.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
If Jesus was executed in an electric chair, I can only imagine what the "crucifix" would look like.

EDIT.

As for the sign of the cross. People will probably do the sign of the electrocuted.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by Unregistered]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   

The symbolism behind the cross is not one of death and murder but rather a reminder that the ultimate price was paid to free you from your inherent sin, and the selflessness of the man who paid the price for this freedom.

So, short and sweet, it's basically a guilt trip.....? Yet- if we continue to sin, we all burn in a fiery hell? I am failing to recognize how that is forgiveness from our inherent sin. But then again, I have never agreed with Christianity/Catholicism as such- I have always had more questions than answers as everything I come across appears to be a contradiction.

(Note: My reply is not directed personally to the poster of the quote- just the content of the Catholic teaching- just in case my reply gets miss-interpreted)

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
The cross, borrowed from pagan religions, as well as other common symbols were used in early Christianity as a way for Christians to identify one other while escaping persecution by the Romans. Emperor Constantine later abolished the primary use of crucifixion as a punishment supposedly doing so in remembrance of Jesus and so became the primary symbol of the new Roman religion. Crosses were erected at Pagan temples to show a victory won by Christianity. Crucifixes showed up in the 5th century and during the Reformation became associated with Catholicism after the Protestants decided against churches using any form of religious imagery. Catholics were taught to revere the symbol as representation of the Passion of the Christ and use them as protection from evil.
The Roman Empire converted to Christianity when they realized the power they could still maintain over people seeing as how Christianity continued to grow despite their persecution. After Christianity began to spread further and the Romans realized some followers were going back to pagan worship, they implemented familiar pagan rituals and imagery into Catholicism to keep worshipers from leaving the church. Seems like a facade for something other than Christianity right?
I personally do not think the crucifix is an innocent symbol for the sacrifice of Jesus or his suffering, but rather an anti-christian trophy created by the Roman church to symbolize their victory in killing him and successfully adapting his teachings as a way to maintain control of their falling empire. I think the crucifix was created to mock and rejoice in the suffering of Jesus along with all the Christians they murdered rather than a touching symbol of faith. And just as much then as today, Satan has influenced people to destroy Christianity from the inside out including the building of churches in his name. I'm sure Satan gets much satisfaction seeing all these people still praying to pagan symbols that have nothing to do with Christ's message of salvation, but are actually subliminal ways of worshiping his death. That's just what I believe though.

mb-soft.com...
www.crosses.org...

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Reply to post by acrux

the cross is an astro-illogical symbol and christ is the sun, son, so(u)l, etc. I think it represents the great crossing of nbiru or something like that. from beautiful wise words to cheap artifacts.......go humans!!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong - I'm not Christian myself.

One of the core tenets of Christianity is that Jesus died for our sins, and this is how we are saved from eternal damnation. The cross is a reminder of this: "This is what Jesus went through for us! This is how much He loves us!"

I don't know if everyone who wears a cross truly understands this, but I imagine a lot of them do. If you ask me, you shouldn't wear a symbol without understanding it.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
To me, the cross symbol stands for the millions put to death by the Sword for not being Christian, and further, if you completely read and study the Bible, and it's laws, a cross is raising an Idol before God. And further, Pagans used the cross as a religious symbol long before Christianity came about.

The Pagan Origins of the Cross

The Sign of the Cross
The cross was used by Pagans long before the Messiah was put to death on Calvary.
The cross is a symbol of the Babylonian Sun god and was also seen on the coins of Julius Caesar 100-40 BC. The cross was the emblem of Tammuz known as the mistletoe or Branch.
It is doubtful if Christ even died on the kind of cross commonly known. It is more likely that he was crucified on a stake - an upright pole or tree with its branches lopped off. But we will not argue about the type of cross on which the Messiah died; the point is, we Christians should not venerate the cross - any cross. Nor should we have crosses in our church buildings, or wear crosses around our necks or make signs of the cross on people's foreheads.

The cross was worshipped by the Pagan Celts long before the incarnation and death of Christ.

source page

Furthermore, the hated Pentagram (by Christians) was in fact a Christian symbol for many years, and is engraved in some Christian Churches...

The Ancient Pentagram – A Christian Symbol

As an example of the Christian knightly symbolism of the pentagram, this site quotes from Gawain and the Green Knight, on the reason why Gawain's arms were a pentagram:

And I intend to tell you, though I tarry therefore,
Why the Pentangle is proper to this prince of knights.
It is a symbol which Solomon conceived once
To betoken holy truth, by its intrinsic right,
For it is a figure which has five points,
And each line overlaps and is locked with another;
And it is endless everywhere, and the English call it,
In all the land, I hear, the Endless Knot.

The Pentagram and the Templars

So it seems that we Pagans/Wiccans use an old Christian symbol, while Christians use an old Pagan symbol. It's a mixed up world for certain.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
op is right,i wouldnt want to wear a symbol of his death,i always wondered about this,i prefer some other symbol of good.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
For most of my life, I never thought twice about wearing a cross as jewelry. But as I matured in my faith, it came to me that I was sporting an item of idol worship. That symbol that is so misused and abused (think Madonna, Marilyn Manson etc.) has become just a symbol of society. If you wear one, supposedly you are a Christian. For me, being a Christian is certainly not about displaying symbols that the rest of the world considers "cool". Not to mention that the symbol itself had become so worshiped that it sometimes takes the place of some real relationship with Yeshua for some people. Cross worship vs. worship of the one true Messiah.

And all of that aside, I don't think that Yahweh meant for any of us to put idols in place and worship at their feet, ever. When He said "NO graven images" I take that literally!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
If you're looking for alternate symbols, here's one from literature:

In the Mercy Thompson novels by Patricia Briggs, the title character wears a lamb (as in the Lamb of G-d) instead of a cross. She has many of the issues with a cross that people have mentioned.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join