It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bread and Circuses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
With the recent catastrophes and plagues of this world it is hard to imagine how many millions of people around the world have anything to be thankful for. Yet looking back over the past few weeks we can see one global event that brings people close together, creates a global community, and gives people hope and something worth living for... right?

The people that once bestowed commands, consulships, legions, and all else, now meddles no more and longs eagerly for just two things — bread and circuses!
-Juvenal

The world cup is perhaps the biggest international sporting competition. One that levels the playing field for many people and lets people living in poverty cheer while their national team beats out western superpowers. One could argue that this is a positive factor in many peoples lives. No doubt there is a bolstering of international community and good will. But does it really change anything, or is this just a continuation of the Roman practices of Bread and Circuses to distract the mass from real events.

With ecologic catastrophes such as the BP oil spill, rampant corruption and incompetence among the world Governments, and out-right suppression of human rights in many areas of the world should we turn on the toob and cheer, or should we face reality and focus upon the challenges that face us and work to solve those, grim though that reality may be.

This practice is not restricted to the World Cup, that is just the biggest event in my mind, but in my mind a factor to some degree in every sport around the world. Just a way for tptb to distract us while they continue to exploit us, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

So what are your thoughts? Are sports a necessary and beneficial factor in our lives, a way to distract us from the problems around us, or are sports merely entertainment with no positive or negative consequences?

[edit on 12-7-2010 by Ozzy Mandias]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
IMO its about distraction. Its about distracting people that are on the edge. This is about fun. Everyone wants to have fun, but learning about the world is boring.

I don't think its wrong if you want to have fun, I like fun. But when people go nuts over sports, well then its done its job. Sports is about a bunch of millionaires playing a sport that most that idolize it cant play, we root for the guy that we think is closest to us on a personal level, though we are miles apart. Its like you said "bread and circuses", with out the bread, unless the bread that you buy at the game counts and thats about $20.00.

If we rooted for people in office the way that we do sports figures, a place like ATS would be empty. Its another money making machine. You want a real sport, lets see who can run to Washington the fastest, and get something done. Now thats something that I wouldn't only watch, but would participate in.

Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Sports and entertainment do nothing but distract people, lulling them into happiness while all around -- chaos, death and destruction! Plus, the participants earn millions on these drone-like spectators, not knowing such activities do nothing to improve society.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I actually disagree that sports do nothing to help society. Maybe big, professional leagues and stuff can be detrimental... but as a whole, sports are very important.

For example, have you seen Remember the Titans? That's based off a true story, and because of the football team, white people and black people were able to become less afraid of each other and actually friends. Sports bring people together, they unite people.

Sports also are a fun and healthy way of recreation. I think most parents would rather their kids go out and play baseball than sit on the couch playing video games. Humans are going to look for ways to stop being bored, and as a whole, sports are a great way to help people be healthy and entertained.

And lastly, sports is one of the few things left in this world that is decided purely on merit. If you suck at baseball, it doesn't matter who your parents are, you're not going to play for the Yankees. Sports teach us to be patient and practice, because we will only get to something big by our own self-determination and skill, NOT on how much money we have. I think it's great to see people from the slums, some of the poorest people around, making it big because they have spent their entire lives honing their skills. It's really quite beautiful.

So I think it's actually quite ignorant to say they are merely a distraction. Video games and TV are distractions, but sports aren't.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Ozzy Mandias

I'm not into sports, so don't care about the world cup. I'm more interested in things that actually matter.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
What do the masses of people like me do?
It's not that I hate soccer I just hate all sports, well pro sports anyway.
Just a bunch of overpriced junkies showing off their bling and Hoes.
Well it's that way in America anyway.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by spacekc929

sports may bring people together and untie them, they also drive people apart and separate them at least to some degree by creating rivalries.

I think there a lot of good values and lessons that can be learned from sports, and I enjoy them a lot. I do feel however that they can play a detrimental role in society. For instance, many people in areas of poor social-economic status pin all of their hopes upon sports, holding out for a scholarship or a ticket to a better life, and thereby forsake their education and possible avenues to improve their lives and surroundings.

I think more and more government leaders will capitalize upon modern societies infatuation with professional sports to continue keeping the masses uniformed and complacent...

[sarcasm] Obama is president, finally someone can do something about the BCS! [/sarcasm]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Ozzy Mandias

Very familiar thread title...bit of deja vu'...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Yes the idea of bread and circus is indeed hundreds of years old... this was intended to focus on whether sports in particular are used primarily as a tool of diversion.

I think sports do offer some benefit, but I believe that professional sports do much more damage then good today.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ozzy Mandias
reply to post by weedwhacker

Yes the idea of bread and circus is indeed hundreds of years old... this was intended to focus on whether sports in particular are used primarily as a tool of diversion.

I think sports do offer some benefit, but I believe that professional sports do much more damage then good today.

I would think they were used primarily as a tool for generating revenue; not by the government, but by businessmen. Well... The government does get a cut too. It's not like the government makes all the sports teams and runs the "show" as it were.

That being said, they do function as a diversion. Not for nefarious reasons determined by some super secret group of people that control every facet of your daily life, but function as a diversion in the sense that they're fun.

new topics

top topics

join