It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Centre of gravity theory for dominance of black sprinters and white swimmers

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Centre of gravity theory for dominance of black sprinters and white swimmers

www.tel egraph.co.uk

This disparity in athletic achievement, obvious to Olympic viewers, throws up so many sensitive questions of race and human difference that it is rarely discussed in public.

But now two US academics have risked controversy by publishing a theory that attempts to explain the contrasting performance of black and white athletes using the laws of locomotion.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
This is rather interesting to me, as they say in the article:

"Equality campaigners have always resisted attempts to suggest that particular races have inbuilt athletic superiority, claiming that medal trends are best explained by the popularity of different sports in different communities. "

I find this kind of thing to be left wing garbage. It's evident to me that there are differences in people, between man and woman, black and white and so on. That doesn't mean anyone is inferior as such, and of course we are talking generalities, but I believe there are differences, and ignoring them in the face of science is stupidity.

www.tel egraph.co.uk

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by harpsounds

This is rather interesting to me, as they say in the article:

"Equality campaigners have always resisted attempts to suggest that particular races have inbuilt athletic superiority, claiming that medal trends are best explained by the popularity of different sports in different communities. "

I find this kind of thing to be left wing garbage. It's evident to me that there are differences in people, between man and woman, black and white and so on. That doesn't mean anyone is inferior as such, and of course we are talking generalities, but I believe there are differences, and ignoring them in the face of science is stupidity.

www.tel egraph.co.uk

Your no Einstein,er, I mean Jack Kennedy.

www.truthtube.tv...

[edit on 12-7-2010 by RRokkyy]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
So blacks are taller in West Africa.

Nothing new here.

Brain's all the same tall or short. Takes a fractal crap ton to evolve different brains than body parts.

[edit on 12-7-2010 by Gorman91]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
This is a snippet from the telegraph news story:

Adrian Bejan, a professor of mechanical engineering at Duke University in North Carolina, and Dr Edward Jones of Howard University in Washington, used existing data on the body dimensions of soldiers of various nationalities to determine that black people – or more precisely those of West African origin – have a centre of gravity three per cent higher than white people.

Prof Bejan said the theory “completely accounts” for the increasing racial segregation of Olympic podiums.

The last 25 men’s 100m sprint world record holders have been black, while white swimmers have held the 100m freestyle world record since 1922.

I, myself, was measured like everyone else who gets a physical before going to basic traning. It's interesting to know this data may be being used for this purpose.

But, like the story sais, the theory does't fully explain the racial disparity of the olympics and sporting in general.

Previous attempts to explain sporting achievement along racial lines have fallen down on the success of East African long-distance runners, and the researchers concede that their theories of locomotion do not cover endurance events, only sports in which the goal is to achieve maximum possible speed.

Equality campaigners have always resisted attempts to suggest that particular races have inbuilt athletic superiority, claiming that medal trends are best explained by the popularity of different sports in different communities.

The lack of swimming facilities in Africa and black regions of the US have also been cited as a reason for white dominance of the pool.

Dr Jones conceded that cultural factors would always play a role in sporting success. He said: "When I grew up in South Carolina, we were discouraged from swimming."

We know that cultural influences obviously play a role in determining popularity of certain sports in certain parts of the nation and the world. Therefore, some young people are encouraged and rewarded more for playing certain sports/activities in certain parts of the world while they're discouraged completely from participating in others. I think this also has alot to do with it.

One thing I've always wondered about is how in some sports like football and soccer both African Americans and whites are extremely good and are both extremely fast runners and extremely well coordinated. But in olympic games, in particular, the disparity is so much more obvious.

I also think the theory could be considered racism in the sense that any one black man or woman isn't necessarily faster than any one white man or woman (as the OP has also pointed out). Thus, although the theory isn't meant to be racist it could be percieved as such because of what it implies. And this implication that certain races of people are going to be better runners or swimmers than other races isn't necessarily true.

We know that the threat of being labeled and slandered is a huge reason nobody wants to discuss the subject. Of coarse, you still occasionally hear a racist rant or remark about certain sports which serves no purpose other than to make certain people look like complete idiots (and possibly racist to boot).

The ability to perform mentally and physically has nothing to do with race in the minds of coaches and sports officials in general. Nor does it necessarily matter to the players. If a white kid comes to an all-black high school but can run a 4.2 in the 40 yard dash.. He's going to be able to compete with anyone else there regardless of who has the upper hand genetically and he will be just as applauded as anyone else.

In this sense the theory is so general that some might consider it inappropriate and pointless.

-ChriS

[edit on 13-7-2010 by BlasteR]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
i always through blacks were faster runners was because they had more fast twitch fibres, but were worse at swimming because they have a higher muscle density, less buoyant.

I don't understand why there are calls of racism; it's just facts, GET OVER IT.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
So blacks are taller in West Africa.

Nothing new here.

Brain's all the same tall or short. Takes a fractal crap ton to evolve different brains than body parts.

[edit on 12-7-2010 by Gorman91]

Brain size isnt the same.
Look it up.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemonkey

Facts eh?

Maybe you have some evidence for those 'facts'?

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by skibtz

Facts eh?

Zebras!!!

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Facts eh?

did you read the article? did you also happen to read the paper which suggests non africans have 1-4% neaderthal DNA?

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by harpsounds

You can't deny the allure of watching the Olympics when you're young, seeing someone of your race doing well in a certain event, and wanting to be that person one day. When people dream or role-play, I think they role-model people who look similar to them, starting with one their parents. That parental bias sets the stage for later life. And, boys don't usually aspire to be like a key female figure in history. They also don't role model races that are obviously very different than their own. If you think more blacks want to be like Neil Armstrong than Nelson Mandella or Martin Luther King Jr., that's a nice little world to imagine, but it's wrong.

People naturally segregate themselves because they want to fit in and feel accepted, especially growing up. We all want comfort and security of a group (a "pack") to belong to. If you feel too different, you feel alienated and weak.

I don't know what to make of the physical data, but judging from the social aspects alone, it makes sense to me that in the future, we will continue to have more black runners and more white swimmers. If it doesn't sound politically correct, and if it sounds racist, I say ...suck it up. That's the world we live in.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by RRokkyy

I'm pretty sure all humans have the same body to brain ratio and therefore the same brain mass.

If they don't, doesn't really matter. Capacity of the brain is the same. Size does not matter to intelligence.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Facts eh?

How many facts do you need? NBA? NFL? Olympic Sprints?

I mean come on. I realize it is a slippery slope to admit that black people are more athletic, but it is a fact. Let me go ahead and sled right down that slope for you and get it all out in the open.

1. First we "admit" that blacks are more athletic. Denser Muscle, more fast-twitch fiber, etc.
--> Not too much disagreement here, but it opens the door to differences in races.

2. Now all of a sudden we can also speculate that some races may have more brain power. Science and History may back this up, and then all of a sudden we have "Racial INEQUALITY" and it leads to a whole lot of problems!!

Lets throw out the Black and White thing and look at it from another angle. Suppose it is found that Asians are more mathematically and mechanically inclined. Suppose it is found that French and Italians are more artistically inclined. Suppose it is found that Women are better nurturers and men are better at physical labor. Suppose we find that Arabs make good shop keepers, etc., etc.!! It would change the world to admit to these things. It would be basically impossible for a Chinese Artist to get recognized, or a French electronical engineer to get hired. It would mean that women should stay home and raise babies and men should get jobs. It would support every stereotype that the PC crowd has been trying to destroy! Who cares if the science supports it. We want to believe that anybody can be anything.

I am a 37 year old white male from the US, I can admit that I won't be an Olympic Sprinter, and I won't be carving out any world class sculptures. I also know that I do not have the patience to stay home and raise babies. I am suited for certain things, and no amount of hard work or wishful thinking was ever going to make me something that my genes don't agree with!

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Here is the thing: generalizations insult people, whether they are generally true or not.

To be a realistic data set, it would need to comprise the measurements of atheletes, not soldiers. If you want to prove a physical advantage to Michael Phelps body type, study his body and quantify your assertions using valid data.

The 3% difference in center of gravity is a statistical difference, and we will only see it actualize statistically. There will always be "one off" instances of a white person who runs just as fast. But a measurement of that persons body dimensions should support the theory, as they should have a center of gravity that is 3% higher than the average white person (an aberration from the norm).

It seems as though the experiment was a rough hewn work and pseudoscience, as it took data from a group of non atheletes and determined athletic performance without corroboration.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by RRokkyy

I'm pretty sure all humans have the same body to brain ratio and therefore the same brain mass.

If they don't, doesn't really matter. Capacity of the brain is the same. Size does not matter to intelligence.

Well, it's well known that men and women don't have the same sized brains. Women's IIRC are smaller, but they are just as intelligent as men. Because of this, I don't see any reason why different races shouldn't have different sized brains.

The way I see it, we know there are ohysical differences between different races. They are blindingly obvious, just on the surface. These differences do however penetrate beneath the skine. Skeletal structures differ for a start and I believe, although I may be wrong here, that generally, black people tend to have a denser body mass.

Having said that though, I'm completely white (as far as I know) and I have a very dense bone and muscle structure. I swim like a brick, but I can run very fast and tend to bounce, rather than get injured. I've never broken a bone, which is a miracle considering some of this accidents I've been in!

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
So we are differents and equal. And so what?

The fact per si is nothing special imho but what will we doing with the information is a matter of agenda. What is yours?

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by nik1halo

Same here. My brain mass I suspect is larger than most and my cranium size and density was too big to fit at birth. Made my mom have a lot of pain. I came out with a "bullet" head, like those Egyptian pharaohs.

As far as I can tell, humanity is born on a standard blank plate. It's only been 50,000 years since humanity was a small group of 50,000 Africans.

50,000 years is simply not enough time to evolve different brains, seeing as it took 5 million years to get as far as we did.

Of course we are all different with different abilities. But we are all human and capable of the same understanding and base line of humanity.

It's obvious men and women also have different brains. But to say they can't do the same things is a bit far.

[edit on 13-7-2010 by Gorman91]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackcube
So we are differents and equal. And so what?

The fact per si is nothing special imho but what will we doing with the information is a matter of agenda. What is yours?

I think, rather than it being a matter of agenda, the question should be that if it is proven that, just for the sake of argument, black people have an advantage over white people in the 100m sprint, would it be fair to pit them against eachother?

Men don't compete against women for just this reason. It's also the reason that there are weight categories in boxing. Is this sexist or sizist? No, so why should segregating races in sport, where one has been proven to have an advantage be racist? To state so is just double standards.

This is all hypothetical, of course. Without proof that any race bears any advantage in any sporting event, it is simply academical postulation. Although it does show a need for this research to be undertaken.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

Big Head!

Sorry I couldn't resist!

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

True, but it doesn't mean you couldn't bring useful insight or a new angle in to those genres if you tried. In the same way, all races can bring something to the table and no race is useless.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join