It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

193 Year Old Man Who Lives In My Woods: More Relevant Than Ever

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by METACOMET

Very misleading title to say the least. Looks like a statue to me, not a man.

Thanks for misleading me into this waste of space.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I never realized Thoreau was the first to say "Your money or your life".
I thought it was a Hollywood artifact

This is just how the Hollywood mind manipulation machine is intended to work.

They take great truths, turn them into a great fictitious movie, knowing that the audience will get inspired, then walk away and forget it - because after all it's all just a movie, not real life. Thus they desensitize the masses to the very truths which would feed their soul and enable them to be free.

Likewise they use the same mind manipulation machinery to erode and erase the moral fibre of individuals. Heros are something for movies, not for our real life. Having morals and principles is the stuff of movies, in the real world it's just not cool, we will get mocked and berated for standing up for such things. I mean, who do you think you are, some hero from a movie??

And in the world, once the movie has finished and the TV switched off, we slaves have to keep busy earning money to buy all the things we don't need, which ruin the environment and our health, but which we MUST have because the Hollywood and Advertising mind manipulation machine brainwashes us into thinking we fall short of the acceptable level of social standing without their puerile garbage.

We consent to filling their pockets with ever more of our slave wages, and happily and enthusiastically give our precious time and our precious minds over to their manipulation machine, munching poisoned popcorn as we happily sit and absorb the mind poisoning 'entertainment' mind control machinery.

We consent and we happily obey, and worship the Gods and Godesses of mind control - the cult of celebrity. And just as intended, we strive to emulate said Gods, spending more of our money, time and energy - and our soul - in their toxic game.

Fashion is another tool of this same poison machine at work in society. Fashion = mass transient taste, force fed to the obedient public, which fills the pockets of the few with billions and billions, whilst creating in the public that vital sense of insecurity and need to be 'current' which is the foundation of the toxic plan and provides a 'receptive' basis for more manipulation.

No wonder they treat us with such distain. They know us well. Obedience is their subtext, their bread and butter, and we OBEY, happily and enthusiastically even as we walk through, sit in and enjoy their psychological gas chambers.

How to resist? Even before reaching the state of being prepared to allow our blood to flow in the cause for freedom, as mentioned in the OP. How many people, I wonder, would even be willing to take the revolutionary step of saying NO, and dumping their TV, refusing to pay to subject ourself to their mind manipulation movies, and daring to proudly wear out of fashion clothes?

If the thought of that is scary, it shows you the measure of the control and subjugation to which you have consented, the extent to which you have become a slave and a cog in their wheel, and and the extent to which you have become weak and dependent.

We can reclaim our individual self, our freedoms and our right to disobey in many small ways, one step after another day by day - IF we really do want change rather than just talk about it, like we would discuss some movie.

But, overcoming dependency and addiction requires ACTION and EFFORT.

The cabal know they have the majority of people exactly where and how they want them to be. We have consented to this. There is only ONE way forward - and that is when each individual commits to taking the actions necessary to reclaim his freedom and his soul, and get himself out of their matrix.

But sadly, most people won't even be capable of switching off the TV. Are you???

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4

When I saw your sig "Moderate Motto: Give me liberty or give me...hey what do you guys think?" it reminded me of the Neutrals on Futurama:

"If I don't survive, tell my wife, 'Hello'."

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
this is incredible...those words are very powerful. much more powerful than any lame excuse for a speech david cameron or obama could give.

it basically says what everyone is thinking...but nobody seems to be able to word it quite so well.

how come the people who think like the person who wrote those amazing words never get into power?

instead we get the greedy mofo's who feed on our souls

[edit on 13-7-2010 by Silicis n Volvo]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
[edit on 13-7-2010 by Silicis n Volvo]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I'm struck by a couple of things with this post - very insightful and well timed I might add though.

1. Amazing how much things have changed but they are the same.
  2. Amazing how many people here (and elsewhere) assume to be cracking the code of a mystery as yet unsolved - but to see here that 150 years ago it was same stuff, different day
  3. People have been complaining about government as long as we can remember.
  4. He was right that we won't have a non-governing government until man is ready - but will that ever happen? Will we ever be to a point as a race where one group of men won't try to exert control over another?
  5. How similar are his writings to those of other enlightened revolutionaries from the 1770's? "Give me Liberty or give me Death" anyone?
  6. There are two types of struggles that really matter. Those for earthly survival and those for eternal truth. When they become the same struggle - then we're onto something.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by EspyderMan

Very misleading title to say the least. Looks like a statue to me, not a man.

Thanks for misleading me into this waste of space.

i hope you just missed the point of it and arent just being an @$$h0L3

basically someone born in 1817 permenantly solidified his presence on earth by carving a wooden statue of himself (hense the 193 years old) and wrote some very powerful words about a government which back then probably wasnt half as bad as it is today. which means those words are now more relevant than ever and more importantly should be followed by the masses. but unfortunately arent.

i found it really hard not being more insulting towards you its negative people like you that this world could do without.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   

We studied him in school long ago.

He was a wise man and a forgotten American Hero. Let us cherish him as a late founding father.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I am going to skip everyting eluding to the age of your source. The crdibility you are attempting to use is the sam kind of logic the bible thumpers use when they knock at my door. I would believe them if they showed me validity in my world. Just the same as I would have believed you if you had given me validity instead of a "god" who happens to be 193 years old living near you. Because You used a source, I need proof of the source.

The reason is, you did not need to create a credit seeking source for your information. I pretty much agreed with the majority of your thoughts. I am just disappointed that now I have to validate your source and I cannot because your source cannot be found outside of your mind.

That just tells me that you lack the confidence it takes to be a myth buster. Not only did you use a myth to bust another myth, you lied to me. Now I have to really take a hard look at everything you say while filtering it through the most extreme filters.

If you had only used your brain as the source, we could have at least debated. Now I have to throw everything you said out and start over. That is of course if you were not talking about the age of the information. If the old man had died at a ripe old unaltered age, but the information is 193 years old, then I will give you more thought, otherwise, I have to throw it all out and just take in the highlights.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   

THANK YOU for this AWESOME post.

Why does it seem that our ancestors were so much smarter than we are?
These great minds were so sharp and had little schooling and few books at the time. Amazing!

We truly are dumbed down.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I'll give you a star and a flag for that.

Thoreau makes some eloquent Jeffersonian libertarian arguments in those snippets.

Back when men were men, they didn't look to government as their savior, they looked to themselves.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by HeavenlyDivine

Originally posted by SphinxMontreal
Hard to believe the USA once had enlightened individuals who so eloquently documented the plight of the common man. And what does the country have as the equivalent today? Rap music. Oh my.

There's plenty of enlightened rappers who eloquently document the plight of the common man.

Benjamin Zephaniah, William Shields(Jehst), Dead Prez, Zack De La Rocha, Lowkey, Nas, Tupac etc etc etc

The Capitalist Corporate scum are almost directly responsible for the deterioration of Hip Hop and any other genre of music you can think of. An enlightened individual would see this clearly and refuse to tow the media line. By that I mean not taking pot-shots at rap music, video games or w/e else they're trying to scapegoat.

Exactly....anybody rapping about stuff good for humanity gets pushed to the side.

We had A Tribe called quest doin it for a while , but tptb even got them out buy trying to campaign against "backpack rappers" because they weren't street or tough or gangster enough......

Look at rap now....all the thugs and what not are almost non-existent in the pop format....It's all about how danceable your song is and how many 12 year old girls like your song...

sorry to detract but it relates...

another side note:

Does it feel to anyone else, that the cycles of life are getting faster and faster by the day....

Where as it would take 2000 years, then 200, and 20, and now maybe 2 years between what used to be huge cycles of change...

getting more frequent and faster until something.......what that something is supposed to be who knows but maybe this man has something to do with it...

A Great mind in American History and most people never even heard of him.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Is this the same thing at all?

thoreau.eserver.org...

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
lol nice post!

When i first started reading it, i thought "oh my god, here we go again, another looney toon poster"

but you definitely changed my mind by the end.

Top notch post!!

Loved it

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Hi!

A great thread.

Just out of curiosity - have to ever read another of your US writers - Edward Abbey? He's much more modern but I believe he too shares your values.

Peace!

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by METACOMET
Henry, who lives in a simple yet handsome shack, resides a short distance from me. If I paddle over the Fairhaven Bay and walk through the woods, I can always find him by his "small lake", as he likes to call it. Henry is a gentle lover of nature, historian, a philosophical man, a school teacher, a Harvard graduate, a writer. The king of all his castles.

My grandfather's father introduced him to Henry and his books when he was a boy. Grandfather introduced my father, and my father introduced me. Henry is a very old man. 193 years old. He started writing in 1840.

Now that I'm all grown up(kinda), I find myself seeking his input on certain subjects on occasion. I've recently come to the realization that Henry was not only speaking to his contemporary Americans then, but more-so for us, right now:

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReHaBzWuRdZ

Originally posted by METACOMET
Henry, who lives in a simple yet handsome shack, resides a short distance from me. If I paddle over the Fairhaven Bay and walk through the woods, I can always find him by his "small lake", as he likes to call it. Henry is a gentle lover of nature, historian, a philosophical man, a school teacher, a Harvard graduate, a writer. The king of all his castles.

My grandfather's father introduced him to Henry and his books when he was a boy. Grandfather introduced my father, and my father introduced me. Henry is a very old man. 193 years old. He started writing in 1840.

Now that I'm all grown up(kinda), I find myself seeking his input on certain subjects on occasion. I've recently come to the realization that Henry was not only speaking to his contemporary Americans then, but more-so for us, right now:

I would Like To Meet Him As Well, Tell Him About Me, Make Stuff Up I Am Sure He Has Been Waiting For Someone Like You, To Post This To Find Me, and more importantly, OTHERS LIKE ME,

love

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I wonder if anybody is aware of the story behind Thoreau's writings and reflections on "civil disobedience".

He was writing against the Congress' decision to go to war against Mexico, deeming this war as an unjust act of empire (which it was). Do re-read the OP's post under this light; it will make even more sense.

Later on, Thoreau's writings on this same topic inspired Gandhi and his movement to gain India's independence through non-violence.

A man well ahead of his time indeed. One of my personal heroes, if I may say so.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by MrsBlonde

Oh but with wisdom like this he is immortal.

His words hopefully will be read in another 193 years and far beyond.
You just got to love thinking like that.

Nice post and a wonderful read. S&F

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Wonderful post METACOMET. I loved the introduction!! I really need to look more into Henry David Thoreau.

Thank you for sharing this story and the writing's of this intelligent man.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join