It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Death of Nemesis: The Sun's Distant, Dark Companion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Over the last 500 million years or so, life on Earth has been threatened on many occasions; the fossil record is littered with extinction events. What's curious about these events is that they seem to occur with alarming regularity. The periodicity is a matter of some controversy among paleobiologists but there is a growing consensus that something of enormous destructive power happens every 26 or 27 million years. The question is what?

www.technologyreview.com...

if i have put this in the wrong section please feel free to move it.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
well, what is it? how about some more of what the post contains.

im at work, and cant be following links off all over town! can you abbreviate the article for those of us not able to get it all in now?

is there a dark sun that eats our sun? or galactus?

are we watching for the silver surfer?

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by okamitengu

In short, the last mass extinction happened 11 millions years ago, and it is said that it happens every 26-27 millions years ago.

And that what they found meant it was now, more than ever, unlikely that a star companion was responsible.

Same for the galactic bands we cross as they do not coincide with the extinctions.

Hope it helps you!

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
when i was 4 and someone tried to explain god to me, i got confused.
who made god?
if space is infinite
why do people think we're alone?

i believe our nemesis sun is highly possibly.
i believe our moon could be fake
i believe we could be clones, since we ourselves could make our own clones.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by T0XiK

Something is going on in our solar system, i have recently seen a video of europa and the moon of jupiter is erupting geysers all over it. all the planets are heating up and something or maybe nibiru is responsible

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I'm glad i found this post. This theory has always facinated me due to the simple fact that in my opinion ANYTHING is possible. I love learning about how extremely vast our universe is, and it could be plausable that our sun has a "dark passenger" ("Dexter" referance). It's quite a stretch but it might account for several ancient beliefs (and some modern) that life on earth basically recycles itself and starts again. Instead of life being continuous as in 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 it just repeats as in 1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3. I heard a theory that our Nemesis sun passes through an asteroid belt every 26 million or whatever years and sends massive amounts of rock in our direction resulting in at least 1 impact with the Earth. Maybe ancient cultures knew something we don't, afterall they based their lives on the stars. The lack of evidence leaves me to say it probably isn't true, But it has also never been fully disproven so its very interesting to think about.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by kodiak60
reply to post by T0XiK

Something is going on in our solar system, i have recently seen a video of europa and the moon of jupiter is erupting geysers all over it. all the planets are heating up and something or maybe nibiru is responsible

Actually, instead of fearmongering, you should perhaps actually read about Jupiter's moon, Europa. Like many other bodies in the Solar System, including Titan and the planet Mercury, along with countless others, there is volcanic activity, which, rest assured, has been going on long prior to this whole "Niburu" kick that is going on.

Listen, if there was a body this big in the Solar System that is going to end our lives in 2012, you would have noticed by now. Someone would have seen by now (sorry, brown dwarf excuse doesn't work), and the gravitational effect on our planet and others would be noticeable in EVERY sense of the word, we wouldn't have to look for the news about those effects because they would be so severe that we would have noticed it (and the entire race, not just a few paranoid conspiracy theorists).

The "Earth Changes" things we're supposedly going through is also a load of tripe, we are average in terms of ecological disasters for a year, the only thing that is different is that they are reported on more quickly and widely due to the distributions of mobile devices, allowing for seamless upload and discussion to sites like Twitter and Facebook.

Listen, the first announced "Niburu" collision was 2003. Then it was 2010, and now 2012 because I mean, why wouldn't it happen in 2012, right?

Another interesting fact: the Niburu HOAX was started in 1997 by Nancy Leider, who ran a website that claimed she was communicating with extraterrestrial species through remote viewing. She has never predicted anything correctly.

ATS honestly needs to have a serious discussion about moving Niburu to either Skunk Works or Hoax, because I honestly don't get why it's not a HOAX, since this has been supposedly going to happen for over 10 years and there is absoutlely no evidence what-so-ever. Niburu is a load of crap and to believe otherwise is delusional. Sorry.

new topics

top topics

join