It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

rare uranium molecule created with light

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
www.lanl.gov...

check it out.

I did a search for it. none. saw the god particle thread and made a link there, i didn't know how many more posts i had before i had twenty, i guess it was just one.

MODS delete the other Thread in the intro's, my bad

[edit on 12-7-2010 by quantumdragon]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
UM I can't say I understand it completely,but they say nuclear reactors that use this for fuel will burn cooler which is good I think
dear me this has been an onslaught of scientific news today !

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Basically they're talking about smaller,cooler and safer nuclear reactors being possible in the near future, with this molecule.

it's a lot to quote, read it and say what you think about this.

[edit on 12-7-2010 by quantumdragon]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I saw this old footage of some variety show from the 50s where these guys had a portable nuclear reactor ! It was awesome got me to thinking what if we had
home units of these or just ones that served small neighborhoods something like that it would be so much better than the way we do it now

less damage if it melted down
fewer affected by power outages
oh a lot of things

I think it's about time

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Might be useful for liquid metal cooled fast reactors fueled by Uranium Nitrides. One example of this type of reactor is the Hyperion Power Module which will use technology developed by LANL.

Hyperion Power Module Product Characteristics

1. Transportable
- Unit will measure approximately 1.5m wide x 2.5m tall.
- Fits into a standard fuel transport container.
- Transported via ship, rail, or truck.
- Modular design for easy and safe transport.

2. Sealed Core – Safe and Secure.
- Factory sealed; no in-field refueling, closed fuel cycle.
- Returned to the factory for fuel and waste disposition.

3. Safety
- System will handle any accident through a combination of inherent and engineered features.
- Inherent negative feedback keeps the reactor stable and operating at a constant temperature.
- Sited underground, out of sight.
- Proliferation-resistant; never opened once installed.

4. Operational Simplicity
- Operation limited to reactivity adjustments to maintain constant temperature output of 500C.
- Produces power for 8 to 10 years depending on use.

5. Minimal In-Core Mechanical Components
- Operational reliability is greatly enhanced by the reduction of moving mechanical parts.

6. Isolated Power Production
- Electric generation components requiring maintenance are completely separated from the reactor.
- Allows existing generation facilities to be retrofitted.
- The Hyperion Power Module will be licensed by national and international regulatory authorities.

www.hyperionpowergeneration.com...

Compared to current reactors it needs less fuel, and creates a smaller amount of long lived waste, possibly none (I emailed Hyperion asking but they haven't replied). It's also simpler, smaller, and transportable which basically means that it's much easier to finance, costs less, built faster, and requires less staff than current reactors. It is also safer than current reactors but given the impressive safety record current reactors have accumulated, it's not really a big advantage.

[edit on 13/7/2010 by C0bzz]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Thank you for all that info.

Does this design run off the uranium nitride i mention?

I surprised this thread isn't a little more popular but then again.

a sealed core sounds so much safer.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by quantumdragon]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

NOW you're "cookin' with Crisco!"

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Does this design run off the uranium nitride i mention?

It uses a Uranium Nitride fuel, although I am unsure if it is the same as what you posted.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
A true Uranium Nitride multi-layered polymer would enable nuclear weaponry with a 100 fold power increase on what is capable up until now... If they have really done this.... save us from ourselves please!

[edit on 14-7-2010 by rajaten]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by rajaten
A true Uranium Nitride multi-layered polymer would enable nuclear weaponry with a 100 fold power increase on what is capable up until now... If they have really done this.... save us from ourselves please!

What the hell are you talking about? Cite a source or stop making BS up.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

I don't see anything about increased neutron capture, unless this density increases the Barns, which I doubt. Otherwise it could increase the effectiveness of weapons systems by making nuclear power more ubiquitous in the war theater.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Otherwise it could increase the effectiveness of weapons systems by making nuclear power more ubiquitous in the war theater.

i can see it in the war theater to. i would like to see it in the space theater thou, a lighter power generator would be good.

how much thrust do you think a nuclear powered, ion drive, space vehicle would generate.

i couldn't crunch the numbers.

Edit:grammar

[edit on 16-7-2010 by quantumdragon]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Hyperion Power Module Product

okay that right there is the kind of thing that gives me hope

that's what I want mini nuclear power plants!

ever since I saw that old footage I just ask myself what happened we could have been so far ahead right now if we would just get off of this idea that all power plants have to be thousands of acres of environmental nightmare sitting ducks for terror attacks and world killing meltdowns

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

ever since I saw that old footage I just ask myself what happened we could have been so far ahead right now if we would just get off of this idea that all power plants have to be thousands of acres of environmental nightmare sitting ducks for terror attacks and world killing meltdowns

Current Nuclear reactors certainly are pretty much nothing like you described. At all. Western European experience has shown that the death rate for Nuclear per unit of electricity generated is approximately the same as wind-turbines (almost zero) mainly because all waste products are contained, the reaction occurs in a concrete shell that's a few feet thick, and no explosive fuels (like gas), are used. I would feel safer inside a Nuclear plant than in my own home. Also, the land use required for a large reactor is extremely small for the amount of electricity they produce, the smallest for any source of energy actually.

Originally posted by rajaten

I asked a question and I'd appreciate an answer. From a physics or chemistry standpoint what you said just doesn't make sense. Attempting to make a Nuke from Uranium Nitride would make about as much sense as making a Nuke from Uranium Oxide. It would not work.

[edit on 17/7/2010 by C0bzz]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
They don't mess around when they make a nuclear reactor. i could see more reactors in places where other sources of energy are less.

as for uranium nitride weapons, i think C0bzz is right, extra elements would complicate things for a high speed fission reaction. i would assume at least.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
nuclear technology seems to be getting better and better as per the OP

and I'm all for it,I don't want all these humongous ridiculous windfarms

and thousand acre solar panels gimme a break .

It seems like nuclear is the way to go ,just don't try it at home

Like this guy what was he thinking?

new topics

top topics

join