It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everest haunted by spirits, says climber

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 08:52 PM
link   
From www.channelnewsasia.com...

KATHMANDU : Spirits of dead climbers haunt Mount Everest and funeral rites need to be performed for their deliverance, the Sherpa who whizzed to the summit in record time says.

Pemba Dorji Sherpa, 26, who scaled the 8,848-metre high peak in 8 hours 10 minutes on May 21, told AFP he saw "black shadows" near the summit on his way up.

"When I was on my way to setting the record, I stopped briefly at three points between 8,000 and 8,748 metres to drink tea," Pemba said.

"When I stopped at a mound of rocks I saw some spirits in the form of black shadows coming towards me, stretching their hands and begging for something to eat," he said.

"I think those were the spirits of the many mountaineers killed during and after the ascent of Mount Everest.

"The bodies of many of those who died are still on the mountain and one climber who died from an accidental fall is still hanging from a rope," Pemba said.

More than 200 people have died attempting to reach the highest place on Earth.

So, is the worlds highest mountain haunted? Alot of people have died and been left on the mountain. Are their spirits restless? Do they need to have their last rights so they can rest in peace? I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. It could have been oxyden deprevation, something in the tea, fatigue or, it could have been spirits. Who knows?

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Well, I for one believe that rituals must take place in order for their soul to be put to peace.

Think about it: we all have souls. So, after death - where do souls go? If you die while attempting something but failing it, your soul will obviously be resltless about it until it somehow achieves what it failed or something else compensates for it (a burial ritual, perhaps?).

Hey, if I died - I would definitely like to have a proper burial. Otherwise wandering around in a floating transparent body for the rest of eternit isn't that fun
of course, unless youre stalking a supermodel

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 09:50 PM
link   
As far as a place to haunt goes...THIS would be one for sure.....I mean, is it not true that SPIRITS haunt a place they feel ATTACHED to?
Did not these climbers DIE trying to attain a goal here?
Would it not make sense that there SPIRITS are still on that mountain STILL trying to gain the TOP?

Alot of GHOSTS...are ghosts BECAUSE they do not know they are dead. I think it would make sense that these climbers who DONT KNOW they are dead are still up there trying the best they can to FINISH a lifes goal?

I for one think it would be a VERY good idea to try and help these spirits to rest. I have no suggestions as to HOW...but I am on board with the idea it SHOULD be done......

Interesting find NTH.....

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Oh! I've heard this! I truely believe that it's haunted! The people must have died a terrible death while attempting to achieve a major goal.

I also agree that these people should have a proper burial. Or at least some kind of blessing so they can be at rest.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   
On the other hand, it is commmon knowledge that a lack of oxygen will cause the human brain to hallucinate. Mt. Everest is over 4 km high at its peak; the air is thin enough up there that hallucination is a very real safety issue when you get that high up...

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThunderCloud
On the other hand, it is commmon knowledge that a lack of oxygen will cause the human brain to hallucinate. Mt. Everest is over 4 km high at its peak; the air is thin enough up there that hallucination is a very real safety issue when you get that high up...

Thats what I thought.

I cant belive there is still a body hanging from a rope there!

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Ive always wondered about that place, seeing as many people died tring to climb it.

good find

but ya, I geuss halucination could also be responsible.

Either way, a proper burial should be done for those people.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I would say that it is haunted there a lot of people lost on Everest that died and due to them being so high up they have to leave there bodys up on the mountain. Due to it being so hard to bring them back being a climber I pay my respects and send thoughts to those there.

new topics

top topics

join