It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Animals have Rights?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
animals should have the right to not suffer, wildlife may be cruel, but it is not as cruel as the measures man puts against the animals.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
animals should not be maltreatment in any way. the humans are sick. they dont
care about each other. but why should animals pay for this?
if you have a animal you can not make it suffer.
but then a human man will have a kid and physically and sexually abuse it.
What does this mean we should NOT care about animals at ALL.
until humans start caring for each other.
UM! hell freezing over comes to mind.
maybe if you all start caring for animals you MAY start to care for humans.

[edit on 12-7-2010 by buddha]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
This also brings to mind that the medical community as one of it diagnosis for mental instability is cruelty to animals. What does the medical community see in a person that they lack, that can cause them to state this?

Maybe they can see that compassion for both human and animals go hand and hand. That if you can think less for an animal, you have those same capabilities for a human.

Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Treating me nice and convincing me that everything's peachy keen doesn't change the fact that you're eating me. Gosh, you pesky humans...sometimes you behave like such...uh...animals? Just because you put up a skyscraper and a Starbucks and walk around pretending you own the place doesn't mean that the rules of the jungle no longer apply. What seperates mankind from the animals? The way he tries to convince himself that he isn't one of them. He'll even list all sorts of attributes that make him believe he's above such nonsense...and then, of course, he'll eat, mate, defecate and die like one. I believe in "live and let live" but only when I'm not hungry.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Here's some food for thought:

"A beast can never be so cruel as a man - so ingeniously, so artistically cruel. A tiger merely gnaws and tears to pieces, that's all he knows. It would never occur to him to nail men's ears to a fence and leave them like that overnight, even if he were able to do it." - from THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV by Dostoevsky

Does our brand of civilization really make us superior to other animals? We're part of a culture of cruelty whether we realize it or not: the military-industrial complex, imperialism, colonialism, tribalism. Cruelty and war are at the very heart of civilization, but our civilization based on "dominion over" others isn't sustainable.

As Masqua calls it, I'm in the "stewardship" camp, and it feels sooooo much better.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
NO!!! They have no rights, they are just like imigrants, they cant talk or pay taxes
funny how some people care more about animals than people

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Yes.
They have the right to be BBQ'ed, baked, fried, or grilled.
Additional rights are to be marinated in beer (like some of my Mexican dishes), or in a red or white wine. Of course, salt and pepper, with additional spices when appropriate.
Bon Appeite

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Rohdan

well if you dont wanan eat them dont but as far as giveing them rights i think the only right they have is not to be tortured or mistreated but as for food there damn tasty and i enjoy eating a wide variety of animals if you think thats wrong or you dont want to eat them then dont but dont FORCE your view on every one and take away our right to eat something we enjoy

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
and animals can be cruel to each other too chips kill off rival chimps for land just like humans do

dolphins rape and kidnap porpoises and some times kill them just like humans kill different races or people with different views

insects like ants and so forth wage war for resources just like we do

Japanese hornets will kill bees by the thousands take the larva for food for later

lions will kill off cubs just so they can get laied or kill off cheetahs cuz there competition

and ive seen quite a few videos of killer whales playing with seals before they eat them

seems like animals can be just as violent as we can food for thought for all the ones wanting animals running the show

if we had never eaten meat we wouldnt have evolved our brains to the level that enabled us to get to and STAY at the top of the food chain

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

I see your point in a sense. But them killing each other by using their mouths, and claws, is different. Whales kill that way because they don't have guns, and I'm sure if most animals had a way to use guns they would still kill each other, but would they come to kill us?

We are supposed to be the intelligent ones here, but we use all of our cruel resources for chickens, and pigs, really? We say their a lower class of mammal, but we use methods of torture that we would us against a murderer here, where even a murder has its day, and I don't mean jail time, I mean death.

We are quicker to kill an animal for walking or being themselves then a person who harms another. Now if our problem was gangs of bears were walking the streets and taking over, then yes I could see how that poses a problem, but shooting and killing a bear, in its habitat, with a gun, for no reason, well thats just cruel.

Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

guns smuns does that excuse there sadistic behavior how a cat toys with its prey is that any different then torture there as bad as us some times they just use what they have just like we do chimps crows and other animals use tools just like we do i am not for any kind of wanton abuse of animals the people that do that make me sick if your gonna kill something use as much of it as you can and dont let it suffer any more then it needs to! some of the methods that current animal farms use are horrible and they should be held accountable for there actions and that reform in those areas need to be done free range or not at all i would love to see a world where there treated better and not harmed i have pets but votes for them.....would bring new meaning to the i like dogs and i vote.... just my own opinion hope i haven't offended you wasn't my intention

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rohdan
we kill them because we think we are better. that's kinda sick

Not true in the least.

We eat them because they are nutritious and tasty.

Not sick at all.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
my dog was ran over sunday by a police patrol car, I had put the dog in the house but the door must've been still ajar and she ran across the road to me, the police car was going slow but still killed her, they didn't even say sorry,
they drove me around town looking for a vets when I told them there was one 2 minutes away 20 minutes later they go to it after seeing the pdsa was closed, by then she had died in my arms.

I blame them for not watching the road while on "patrol" they where too busy looking at people down the street to see my poor dog,
now what would have happened if that was a child......

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

That's fine, its a forum right
. I was mostly referring to the mistreatment of animals that don't live in the wild like cats and dogs, or chicken, and cows. They kill for survival of the fittest, they kill for status to carry on the next generation of animal. It seems savage to us, but its called nature, and we haven't been in tune with that in a long time.

Animals, plants, use to be one with us, waste was not an option. We killed for need, for clothing, not for fun.

Now what bothers me is the notion that we have a higher being, we act like animals, without the same advantages, they usually kill those that are weaker, we kill those who are weaker, what would be the true difference between animal and human, if they kill because their animals, and not as intelligent, then what does that say about us?

And if their not as smart doesn't that mean that we actually learned how to be more of an animal and not a human, a lion cannot mimic us but we can mimic a lion.

Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

Since you asked, my view of animals is that they are at our complete and utter mercy.

Perhaps the reason there are many worthwhile charities to support neglected and abandoned domesticated animals is just that: we domesticated them in the first place and then did a lousy job of caring for them. That is, these charities are attempting to help fix the mess we started by not ensuring responsible breeding and compassionate ownership. Example: if you can’t afford to feed, shelter, and provide proper medical treatment to the five dogs, seven cats, and ferret you’ve amassed, then maybe you should rethink your game plan. Those not completely bereft of compassion are taking the reins to see that they do whatever they can to fix a problem we created in the first place.

“Animals are a resource much like oil and coal and we should use them as such…” Really? I would offer that just because we CAN doesn’t mean we should.

The assumed notion of ‘dominionship’ over this planet is why we are in the sad state of affairs that we are currently in. We, for the most part, lack the wisdom to wield control over what we create or over what we assume we “own” and then we whine and bellyache about the consequences of our inevitable lack of control over them.

I originally read this thread title and I thought, okay, this is one of ‘those’ threads… It must be some sort of joke. You know? The ones where the author muse to themselves: “I’ve got some free time on my hands, I’m going to see if I can maybe get a rise, or ruffle a few feathers for a lark…” This has to be the case because no one worth their salt could seriously spew such an arrogant, autocratic, and unenlightened diatribe, could they?

Peace.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

there are animal that are on top of the food chain too. we kill them too. we kill animals and don't even eat theam....we do that just for the thrill. I've read a lot about those "thrills" here on ATS.

hunters should go to jail. or to a lion park and get hunted. another idea would be a big park where hunters can hunt themselves. that would be fair and you could have your thrills.
why aren't hunters using spokes instead of guns
? like a cave man.

a japanese citizen eats 30 grams whale meat a year. that's nothing. why are we killing them in thousands when noboby eats the meat. because it's our right. how sick is that?

have you ever watched a butcher killing pigs or cows? mankind is such a pain in the a....

edit: link removed

[edit on 14-7-2010 by Rohdan]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
They have the right... TO BE DELICIOUS!

Aww yeah!

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
We should have an appreciation that we can learn from animals and comprehend their involvement in the balance of life that allows us to survive on this planet. We must have accountability of the numbers of animals so that we can gauge how we resume in treating them.

Yeah, some times I do hear an issue with endanger species that will get killed because they do land on private property. We need to also respect the rights of land owners that have ethically attained their right to the land.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join