It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

27 yr. old woman gets a prosthetic/removable face after shotgun injury.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Source
I just thought I would pass this unusual story along...

A woman who was nearly killed 11 years ago by an accidental shotgun blast to the head tried on her new face recently. The injury occurred during a drunken party with a stolen gun.

After a year and four operations to prepare her face for the prosthetic, she finally has a new face. She said she wanted it so people wouldn't feel uncomfortable around her and so her son would have a "normal" looking mom.

Kind of wild. A detachable face. It connects to metal implants and is held in place by magnetism.

[edit on 12/7/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
The article said she was an accessory to the crime of the stolen shotgun--along with 14 other guns--in that she waited in the getaway car.
Others involved got convicted, but lawyers and the judge felt that her injury was enough of a punishment.

[edit on 12/7/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I am kind of surprised that nobody thought this was kind of unusual or interesting. Just the photo alone (above) sort of creeps me out.
Oh well.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I'm hard pressed to accept that surrounding oneself with stolen property and drunken idiots qualifies as an accident.

Like you can just be walking home from the market and whoa! there are drunken idiots all around me with stolen property and loaded guns!!

It wasnt so much an accident as it was the final poor decision in what was likely a long string of poor decisions.

The prosthetic face itself isnt entirely new. I recall a guy who had a bear swipe the center of his face out who got a pair of glasses to wear with facial prosthetics connected which covered the void left by the bears claw.

I'd say she's lucky to have survived the end result of her series of poor decisions to live the remainder of her life on the right path but had she died she wouldnt be particularly lucky or unlucky. Just dead.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
the picture in the OP was freaky enough. Reading the article and seeing the 10 year process behind this was just...wow.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I feel the same,i read a few pages but couldn't read anymore,that poor woman having to live like that.
surgery wise it's fantastic but even that doesn't cover the horror of the injury,10 year as well..a long road

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
it wasnt an accident, she was up to no good with others also up to no good and got injured.

no problem though people are entitled to medical procedures

except for the fact that she isnt paying for it, oregonians taxes are paying for it.

this operation cost over a million dollars and the tax payers of oregon have to float the bill, she still acts like the victim yet she refusus to admit any fault, hell i wouldnt even have a problem paying this in my taxes if she atleast would say

"i made a mistake, im sorry, i regret it and learned from it"

but she wont say that she doesnt think she was at fault,

and now as an oregonian im freaking paying for it.

ive posted this before as comments to the different articles that turn up around the web, it always gets censored, hopefully i dont expect that to happen here.

there used to be news sources on the web reporting these facts, not anymore,

i have a newspaper around here somewhere that talks about the cost and the welfar paying for it, i'll look for it and see if i can get it posted up here

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I think she's a very brave girl and they've done a great job with the mask.

This was in the UK news about a week ago but I don't remember anything in the story about stolen guns. Just that her boyfriend was fooling around with a gun which he thought wasn't loaded. I wouldn't grudge her a face.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
She was 16 years old, a beautiful child.
Some of us made less-than-stellar choices at 16.
She lost what all women need to survive, her looks.
By some miracle, she was blessed beyond some who have everything.
Now, she has a blind boyfriend, and a baby.
It is a blessing she has someone to love her.
To want to look like a Mom for her baby speaks volumes.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
WTF I can't believe some of you are saying she deserved it. Your tax dollars going to waste? Please. Money is not worth the paper it's printed on.

top topics

join