It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Moved My Cheese?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I was doing some surfing this morning and something jogged my memory to think about this book someone let me read about 10 years ago, it was a very short paperback book and it cost $20.00 or more but everyone was buying it and it really made me think. I did a Google search and found a couple short videos to explain it. The first one is a video someone made to explain the basics of the book, the second one goes into a more how should I say it? "Worldly Example" basically meaning the cheese was moved on 911. Watch them and tell me what you think. I think our cheese really was moved, like jobs going to other counties like China and India among other issues which cheese can be defined. What is your cheese? Sorry if this story compares us with Rats, I hate Rats and do not think we should be compared as such, I think certain elites think of us as Rats.

1st Video : www.youtube.com...

2nd 911 related "Who moved My Cheese Video : www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Excellent book.

I was at a seminar a few years back and we all received a copy.
I've read it a few times over the years.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
Excellent book.

I was at a seminar a few years back and we all received a copy.
I've read it a few times over the years.

I'm glad someone remembers it. It's hard to admit but I believe our cheese has been moved.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Ironically enough, My fiancee was just given this book by her boss at work. It was her yearly review, she got an "excellent" in her review and was given a whole dollar an hour raise! At that point he gave her this book explaining, "your only downfall, is your inability to adapt to change." I haven't read the book, neither has she. Maybe it was the way it was presented.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamwalker74
Ironically enough, My fiancee was just given this book by her boss at work. It was her yearly review, she got an "excellent" in her review and was given a whole dollar an hour raise! At that point he gave her this book explaining, "your only downfall, is your inability to adapt to change." I haven't read the book, neither has she. Maybe it was the way it was presented.

Interesting, it is a very short book, I read it in under 30 mins. and it really made me think.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I usually make my own cheese!

Yeah nice book! Remember it...

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Yes, I remember this book and the accompanying movie I was forced to watch while still in the corporate world. The author is the co-author on "The One Minute Manager" and has a doctorate in Education. It's the kind of book and message you will either like very much or detest. I remember my boss, who was an imbecile, thought this message was so cool. I just couldn't believe anyone could take it seriously. below is a link to a one-star review on amazon that sums up tyhe whole idea better than I can:

www.amazon.com...=cm_cr_dp_hist_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

I'm not sure that the link will actually work, so just go to amazon, find who moved my cheese, and click on the one star reviews to read the first one.

Edit: OK. The link takes you to the book, so all you have to do is click the one stars (or the 5 stars if you're an enthusiast.)

[edit on 7/12/2010 by schuyler]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
The overall message of the book is this: You aren't entitled to anything. Just be aimless and reactive like mice, mindlessly scurrying after cheese while not questioning why it was moved in the first place. Cheese is "given" to you, it isn't yours, you aren't entitled to it, you don't deserve it. If you're fired, don't question it, if anything major happens, don't ask why, just react.

That book is just encouraging everyone to be mindless drones who don't question unfair practices.

I didn't watch the video about 9/11, but If its equating our situation to the "cheese" being moved, I want nothing to do with it.

ETA: Paul Bowman provides a nice analysis of the book in "Deconstructing Popular Culture"

[edit on 12-7-2010 by Adillin2012]

[edit on 12-7-2010 by Adillin2012]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I think you get out of the book what you want to.

I liked it. I'd much prefer to notice the cheese is getting stale and find my own new job then wait until I get laid off.

It's about observing your environment and being flexible. You can wait for things to happen and then complain or you can see the changes around you and adjust accordingly.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I haven't read this particular book, but I've read a number of similar types of books over the years for business purposes. Most of them are basically glorified common sense wrapped up in a nice motivational feel-good bow. If you are feeling cynical you can see the whole thing as kind of patronizing, but actually sometimes that kind of message is exactly what people need to hear to get themselves energized and out of a funk or whatever. Sometimes we all need to be told what we already know, and if its done in a way that makes you feel good and more optimistic about your work than no harm done. I guess it depends on the situation of the person reading it whether these self-help/motivational books would be of any value or not.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
So it is a book about jobs going to foreign countries.

Well NAFTA is the document that caused the jobs to be moved.

So what else is there to say in the book?

Everyone needs to become a corporate discounter. Which by my interpretation is s just added layers to acquire fees for payment for the peoples jobs.

I haven't read the book, but it sounds fairly predictable.

top topics

join