It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Its 10pm. Do you know where your children are?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by triplereiki
I never let her go out alone with frinds (males or females), but I make sure there is a parent or myself accompanying the group.

Well, i don't know how old your kid is, but don't you think it's a bit too much, what you do? Accompany her to everything and "protect" her?
I mean, if she's a teenager, there sure as hell is a chance, that she get bullied by other teens because of that and in that age or even younger, she should have the chance to do something alone, without parents.

Generally i would just teach my child the basic things, don't talk or go with strangers and so on and maybe send him/her to a self defense curse. Like Karate for example, i think such a thing that would be a positive thing. First of all the kid learns to defend themself, second is in a group with other kids, so there are social contacts and the chance to make some new friends and third it's a sport acitivity. With that all, i'd let my kid out and have some fun on their own of course with the "home before dark" rule.

Granted, here around munich isn't much danger and even the city is apart from a few places like central station very safe.
As a kid i never had problems, well i was mostly accompanied by my brother but we did all kind of things, went far away from home into munich to go to cinema or play soccer somewhere. We never encountered a problem. Even when i was alone, i never had any problems

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Well I have 4 kids, and let me tell you something, relying on anybody else to raise or look after your kids, your not being a good parent.

It's your responsibility, not society's to raise your children, however you see fit of course.

My children were given tight leeches as children, till about 13 and then we eased up on them, allowed them to make their own mistakes and learn things through experience.

The "Bubble" child generation of the 2000's is really going to hurt ius in 30 years. All these kids who grow up without knowing failure or hard work.

My oldest is now turning 20, and being a girl we were especially strict with her, although when we thought she was sleeping she was sneaking out to go to parties and we were none the wiser.

So once she got caught, instead of punishing her we just set ground rules, very basic ones that allowed her those freedoms while keeping our piece of mind in regards to her safety.

Parenting in today's world is difficult, and my suggestion is that if you aren't a strong willed person who is capable of dealing with some level of fear and uncertainty, then don't have kids.

The stress will kill you.

The hardest thing is letting go, however it's also the most rewarding aspect of parenting.

Just like the first time you take those training wheels off and they start peddling on their own, it's a beautiful thing.

You have to let them learn.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by triplereiki

Thank you, i have chosen not to have children, i didnt have anything snipped, i just practice self control... Personally i still dont think even in my mid thirties i am ready to raise a child..And it would be unfair of me to bring one into this world when i know i still have so much work to do on myself.. plus my sister already having 3 sons gets me off the hook with my mother

selfish? maybe..

but its my choice

and please... call me meathead.

~meathead

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike Stivic

That was sort of the point of my thread. Though you made a decision that was practical for your life, others have not made such decisions and now are left with children that aren't wanted, or not taken care of.

And sometimes its something as simple as thinking of the consequences of the decisions that you make, before hand. I am a mother, and I know that I love and care for my children, and I will do my best to take care of them, always be there, and try to teach them to be good people, though the odds are against me, I have to fight Disney, commercials, McDonald's, the kids next door, schools, government, etc., and I may not even win.

I don't promote non-procreation, I promote deny ignorance

Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

Munich must be a nice place...unfortunately, when you are in a city that has gangs running around, shootings, etc, and even Ecstacy being slipped into drinks, heck no, I make sure things go fine.....the teens are not with me right at their side, but I can guarantee I am within earshot. They know some defense, I taught them. The best defences is to run first, but if cornered, give it all ya got, then get away. Many a time I have defended myself and my kids in situations we didnt even ask for (wrong place, wrong time). But we are all here today and not a single broken bone.

There are plenty of nice places though, kids safely run around the neighborhood streets, going to eachothers houses, but those are the lucky ones. That is a good, fun young life.

Munich, I heard it is very beautiful place.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Though this may sound weird its like an invisible cord, that you tie to you kids with love, and though they may not see it, its there, but everyone once in a while you have to reel it in, when you think that your kids in danger.

Mistakes have to be made in order for kids to become adults, but I will be sure that I will add my 2 cents, because if I can do it here, I sure as h** am going to do it at home. I can give advice, but in the long run I have to hope that my parenting wont fall short, to the downfalls that most kids find themselves in now.

Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Before this thread disappears, I want to say that our love for each other, and how we see children of today, is eventually going to have ring true. Whether we like it or not, that kid that was smoking at one in the morning is going to have a job one day, whether it be McDonald's or the military, hey, even Bush Jr. was president.

Until the day we stand up, and save and protect ALL children, we have no future. For those of us that teach our kids respect, and appreciation, our children will be ostracized, and be the outsiders to the next generation.

I hope that one day, this will be a problem of the past, before we lose these kids, because the respect and love of those kids are whats going to keep us going.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join