It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In pictures: Battle of Britain's 70th anniversary

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

In pictures: Battle of Britain's 70th anniversary

news.bbc.co.uk

Among the events were flypasts by a Spitfire and Lancaster bomber and a parade of veterans and current air cadets. An open-air service and wreath-laying was also held at the Battle of Britain memorial at Capel-le-Ferne, near Dover.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Lest we forget!!!
Only one battle in a war that claimed millions. For us, this was a crucial turning point in the war.
Let us take time to remember those young men and women that gave their lives so that we may speak openly today.
I believe that if you are to die, that that death has meaning.

Thank you. I truly hope those lives were not given in vein.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I had no idea it was the anniversary be honest, thanks for highlighting this, Lone Archer.

Can't be many of these old vets around these days, I've the highest respect for them and I hope they're bursting with pride when they attend these memorials, respect for their fallen comrades too.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Douglas Bader,

Now that was one hardy man,and a personal hero of mine.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 12-7-2010 by Cygnus_Hunter]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.

- PM Winston Churchill

God bless the Royal Air Force

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Britains Finest hour.

a Spitfire flew over my house the other day, such a beautiful plane, with the purr of the Rolls Royce engine. Must have been one serious rush taking off in one of those to take on the incoming Luftwaffe.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Yeah, the heroic Brits fighting on alone ... total myth.

Reality was different. My aunt lived in Bethnal Green during the Blitz. Food rioting, the dead lying unrecovered in bombed out buildings for weeks on end, a disaster at a tube station when hundreds died ... all covered up for fear morale would suffer. And that's just her little bit of London, her memories.

All this Battle of Britain crap is what they want you to believe.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeBombDiggity

Reality was different. My aunt lived in Bethnal Green during the Blitz. Food rioting, the dead lying unrecovered in bombed out buildings for weeks on end, a disaster at a tube station when hundreds died ... all covered up for fear morale would suffer. And that's just her little bit of London, her memories.

All this Battle of Britain crap is what they want you to believe.

Ugly things happen in the fog of war. If you knew anything about the battle of Britain you wouldn't of made such an ignorant statement.

If it hadn't been for the Battle of Britain you would have probably typed that last post in German.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeBombDiggity

Nothing in the rest of the claptrap you have written actually supports that statement.

The truth however is that Britain wasn't fighting alone; Polish, Canadian, Czechoslovakian, American, South African and several other nationalities of young pilots also volunteered to serve for the Royal Air Force and made a very valuable contribution towards to final victory.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by LeBombDiggity

You need to educate yourself about history,real history,not the propaganda that they teach you at the sheep pen.

Britain was supported by commonwealth nations plus the remnants of Europe's broken armies.

America had invested interests in Germany during the European war,and did not enter on the allies side until,Churchill agreed to divest all of the empires overseas interests to the emerging American empire.

Not to mention the lend lease program that kept Britain on its knees to its new American overlord for generations to come.

My Parents lived in Glasgow during the blitz,and to this day still wake up with nightmares due to the war.Britain was a charnel house during those dark days
and to say anything that lessens the sacrifice and pain of those giants that came before us,diminishes us in the eyes of history.

Wake up to yourself.

[edit on 13-7-2010 by Cygnus_Hunter]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   

I would add you to my respected foe list...but nothing in your post makes me respect you in any way...

All those who died fighting the Luftwaffe during the battle of Britain are heroes, as are those that fought and lived...No matter what nationalities they actually were while fighting for the RAF.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   

LeBombDiggity

You have my upmost SYMPATHY for being someone akin to a spoilt child screaming because they can't have their favourite sweets.....

You live in a world today which gives you, on a plate , the right to say what you want to say, to visit where you want to go and the abilility to do pretty much what you want to and YET you choose to try and degrade and belittle the memories of those which gave you those rights
......... poor you ..!.......
it must be a lonely exsistence where you cannot see or fail to aprreciate the world for what it is.....

Your right and as mentioned by dimethylmercury Britain did not fight alone and things were kept secret to avoid panic but surely you can see that if evrything you take forgranted , running water, food on the shelves, trip to Tesco to buy your Heat or Chat magazine were removed then public disorder would start and that would not have helped the Allies win in the longer term.....

LeBombDiggity - you need to take a look at yourself and what you say to the outside world because currently you look extremely stupid and foolish ....

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

new topics

top topics

join