It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: This is what aliens look like!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Stephen Hawking: This is what aliens look like!

The Nobel Prize-winning physicist has designed what he believes extra-terrestial creatures might look like in a documentary series to be aired in Australia this weekend.

They hunt using poisonous stings, make their own light through bioluminescence and can transform lightning into energy for their bodies: This is what astrophysicist Stephen Hawking (68), the smartest man in the world, thinks aliens would look like!

news.ninemsn.com.au...

www.bild.de...

www.heraldsun.com.au...

[edit on 12-7-2010 by GoodLuckCharm]

+14 more 
posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
He's not the "smartest man in the world", and even if he were, his speculations outside of his field of expertise are of no more value than anyone else's.

This recent "anything Stephen Hawking says is gospel" craze is just silly.

Next he'll be promoting As Seen On TV products.

[edit on 12-7-2010 by draknoir2]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

This recent "anything Stephen Hawking says is gospel" craze just is silly.

It's not a craze, just because he's been mentioned in conversation today doesn't mean we take everything he says religiously.

Your assumption is silly.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
i often have to laugh at those who believe stephen hawking is the greatest scientist ever..... he isn't even in the top ten or 20 probably... i mean cmon.... the theory he worked on his whole life he even admitted to being wrong about.... i'm not taking anything away from him.... he's obviously intelligent..... but there are far more brilliant scientists!

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   

The Nobel Prize-winning physicist has designed what he believes extra-terrestial creatures might look like in a documentary series to be aired in Australia this weekend.

Stephen Hawking is not a Nobel Prize winner.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by draknoir2

Originally posted by konhachi

This recent "anything Stephen Hawking says is gospel" craze just is silly.

It's not a craze, just because he's been mentioned in conversation today doesn't mean we take everything he says religiously.

Your assumption is silly.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I didn't know that "over three months old" was the new recent, my bad.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I was thinking we could talk more about the images, and the possibility of aliens looking like that, rather than just talk about Hawking.

Arguing about Hawking is not gonna get us anywhere.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Well it sounds like a very advanced creature and not some slime on a volcanic rock, I wonder if he gives it more intelligence than our own?

"transforming lightning into energy for their bodies"
Sounds a bit like something out of an old cheesy science fiction Novel,

I'm sure he will have some science behind his theories so I'll look forward to seeing it

Thanks for the heads up

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
You dont need Steven Hawking to tell you this.. anyone can sit down and draw an alien out of there imagination.. Disney Pixar has done it for a long time. This is just science trying to bring things down to earth, when we should be thinking out of the box.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaANDOmega
You dont need Steven Hawking to tell you this.. anyone can sit down and draw an alien out of there imagination.. Disney Pixar has done it for a long time. This is just science trying to bring things down to earth, when we should be thinking out of the box.

If you'd bothered to read the article you would have noticed:

The creatures were conceived with hostile extra-terrestial environments in mind, including planets colder than -150C, salty oceans underneath layers of ice and giant gas planets with no solid ground.

Hawking, 68, spent three years developing the theoretical alien creatures for the documentary mini-series Into The Universe, which airs on the Discovery Channel this weekend.

I guess ATS members don't read beyond the title... *sigh*

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by GoodLuckCharm

The documentary already aired Sunday (last weekend) on Discovery in Aus.

IRM

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Here it is!

[edit on 12-7-2010 by Clairaudience]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Whether Stephen is or is not one of the greatest minds on the planet isn't really what should be debated here. The question should be, "why are his ideas for aliens more credible than anyone else?".

I guess he has an intimate knowledge of physics, but what does he know about anatomy?

I don't see a lot of reason why this would be viewed as anything more than wild guesses.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by konhachi

Look man.. i read the flipping article..and i watched the video of the fat guy who didnt shave talking about it.. And what im saying is.. its still a massive jump of the gun to go ahead and make up these beings because birth of new life is completely random... its like me saying i cut the grass in my back yard.. il leave it to compile into a living mass, because the temprature is 15'D and is perfect for the bacteria to make a grass monster......
I guess CERTAIN ats members just likes to critercize and patronize...*sigh*

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by WickettheRabbit
Whether Stephen is or is not one of the greatest minds on the planet isn't really what should be debated here. The question should be, "why are his ideas for aliens more credible than anyone else?".

I guess he has an intimate knowledge of physics, but what does he know about anatomy?

I don't see a lot of reason why this would be viewed as anything more than wild guesses.

Seriously, I'm all about Hawking being a smart dude who has provided plenty in the name of science but what the hell is this? I can make up my own ideas about aliens as well, this just seems like people trying to sell Hawking's name.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicious Jones

Have you even seen the documentary? It is very informative, based on very real possibilities, and well thought-through. If people are making money though educating the populace and expanding ones perspective, then so it shall be, I welcome that especially with a smart mind like Stephen Hawking being involved.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Uh... whats with jumping all over Hawkings?
At least his aliens are not anthropomorphic representations like conventional
UFOlogy does. Most ideas I see here about "aliens" seem to come from distinctly human models, from appearance, to behavior, to motivation.
Not very alien, but very human.
We create our aliens like we create our gods, on human terms.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Clairaudience
reply to post by Vicious Jones

Have you even seen the documentary? It is very informative, based on very real possibilities, and well thought-through. If people are making money though educating the populace and expanding ones perspective, then so it shall be, I welcome that especially with a smart mind like Stephen Hawking being involved.

All I'm saying is that even if the smartest scientists meet up and come up with a top ten listing of what aliens should look like/how they should evolve, we are still thinking in terms of how we developed (life on earth) for all I know alien life could be completely inconceivable. Alien life could exist and we might not even know it is alive for we are looking for the wrong things. I'm sure the documentary is very informative. Just saying...

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldDragger

Uh... whats with jumping all over Hawkings?
At least his aliens are not anthropomorphic representations like conventional
UFOlogy does. Most ideas I see here about "aliens" seem to come from distinctly human models, from appearance, to behavior, to motivation.
Not very alien, but very human.
We create our aliens like we create our gods, on human terms.

Very true.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join