It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The worlds most barbaric punishments!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SmokeJaguar67

the angel of death is a good one, but what about how the druids would cut out your anus, nail it to the great oak you defiled, and made you run around it wrapping your intestines around the trunk. they then left you for the animals to clean up.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   

It's easy to demonize, but does anyone have a comment on
practices done by governments in the name of 'freedom' . . .
such as > medical experiments done to children ?
barbaric to say the least

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I saw a movie (probably not a great source) where it was explained that a murderer was tied up and thrown into a river with the victims relatives and friends watching. It was then left up to the family and friends to 'save' the murderer from drowning, if they were so bent up on vengeance then they were allowed to let the murderer drown, however, the family was set to mourn for the rest of their lives.

IF they saved the murderer, then they showed they were indeed 'greater' in morality and were allowed to 'mourn no more'. They saved a life.

-----

The aborigines of Australia, used a similar approach, they are probably supposed to be the most barbaric as they are said to be one of the oldest races on this earth.

The person commiting the crime, would be sent out into the field/dessert, and a team of either elders, or other men were to throw spears at the said criminal....if the spear kills/mames, then that is said punishment, ,if the spears miss, then that is also said result. Nothing more is said or spoken of the crime.

It seems to me, and its my own opinion, that the more 'advanced' we have become, the more barbaric we've become, sometimes the answers 'are' perhaps hidden in ancient cultures......

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Again people who are using the death penalty in the US as an example are losing sight of the victims rights in that case. The victims families almost always want that punishment and often feel betrayed when it is not given to them. There is always a victim and once you create one you cease to have any say in the way your life goes. If you take a life then expect to have yours taken that should be the lesson. This wishy washy I could get life or I could be granted clemency is what allows murders to feel like they can get away with it. You set up an express lane and murders will cease. Trial, conviction (provided there is evidence), straight to execution.

[edit on 12-7-2010 by brutalsun]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I always thought this method was disconcerting:
Execution by elephant

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Thats nothing... here's some "punishment" invented in ancient time... they REALLLLY had alot of time to think back then....

Wheel Torture

Back before there were laws against cruel and unusual punishment, people got quite creative with their torture methods. Wheel torture, also called the breaking wheel, is a prime example of medieval torture creativity. The (un)lucky person who got the privilige of taking a ride on the wheel was in for an intresting ride. Their limbs were strapped to the spokes, and the wheel turned very slowly. Through openings in spokes, they were hit with an iron hammer by some person who loved their job much to much, and this hammer had no problem breaking bones. Once their limbs were broken, they were left to be nibbled away by the cute little birdies waiting in the trees.

Flaying

We all know snakes, among other animals, can shed their skin. There's a torture method that allows people to shed their skin as well. Flaying was used thousands of years ago on witches, captured soldiers, and to execute criminals. In one method, people's hands were tied above their head while the torturer cut off all his skin with a knife, starting at the face. Another method involved being severly sunburned, and then having your sking peeled off. Lastly, they could be boiled, burning their skin off.

4. The Rat

I don't know how many normal people there are that don't like rats. I happen to be part of the not liking rats persuasion, as would I guess 76.888% of people reading this (yes I did make up that statistic, shut up about it). The following torture will make you cringe, that is if you have a heart. I don't know what kind of person would think this up, or a better question: who deserves this? The idea is that the victim is tied up, so as to not be able to prevent the most awful thing that he will ever see. A rat is placed upon his stomach, covered by a metal container. Luckily for both the rat and the victim, heat in the container is raised, to that the rat will have to burrow out: THROUGH YOUR STOMACH! It then travels your intestines in a desperate attempt at escape.

The Brazen Bull

The brazen bull is an execution/torture device designed in ancient Greece. Perillos of Athens, a brass-founder proposed to Phalaris, Tyrant of Agrigentum, the invention of a new means for executing criminals; accordingly, he cast a brazen bull, made totally of brass, hollow, with a door in the side. The condemned was shut up in the bull and a fire was set under it, heating the metal until it became "red hot" and causing the person inside to slowly roast to death. So that 'nothing unseemly might spoil his feasting', Phalaris commanded that the bull be designed in such a way that its smoke rose in spicy clouds of incense. The head of the ox was designed with a complex system of tubes and stops so that the prisoner's screams were converted into sounds like the bellowing of an infuriated bull.

The Spanish Donkey

A number of medieval torture devices have the word "Spanish" attached to it, but this one is probably the most gruesome. The Spanish Donkey gave victims an unimaginably horrible ride, and here's why. Victims are put astride, naked, the apparatus, which is actually a vertical wood board with a sharp V-shape wedge on top. Varying weights are then attached to their feet. Eventually, the victim's own weight and the extra baggage cause the wedge to slice through their bodies, splitting them in half. Yikes.

The Saw

Who would have thought that one of the most useful tools ever invented by man could also become one of the sickest? The saw, which has helped mankind slice through trees en route to building houses and shopping malls, also has a dark past as a torture / execution device. And the way it was used would make the strongest of stomachs churn out its lunch.
Victims of this indescribably brutal device were made to hang upside down, legs spread apart. Even this position has a purpose: to fill the victims' heads with blood, and therefore allow them to remain conscious as the torturers work the saw through their crotches, sometimes up to their midsection before they pass out or die. Just imagine the sound the whole process would have made, with the saw's serrated edge making contact with flesh and bone with each back and forth motion, on top of the victim's bloodcurdling screams of agony.

The ULTIMATE worst one is not on the forum I found them... cracked.com removed the original article and only part of it is on the page you can find bellow... but the worst one I can't forget it its sick realllly sick...

Victims were tied down naked on a raft andthen they would put something above your head like a bucket I think it was so that water will fall in your mouth so you don't die of dehydration... then they put honey all over your body and push the raft in the middle of the swamp it takes weeks apparently to die slowly ate by bugs and whatever else is in there...

That's not all of it... You can find "part" of the remaining to the following link it used to be an article on www.cracked.com but was removed for some reasons... i wonder why...

Enjoy.............

[edit on 12-7-2010 by _R4t_]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
those are horrifying but being burned alive is the worst i can think of. can you imagine? your eyes melting and your skin bubbling and you get to feel every micro seconds of it. takes a while for the flame to finally reach your core and kill you. ouch.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
The horrors of man are bondless in their creation, creativity, extremism, and cruelty.

There have been some gruesome and interesting methods and such posted here. I just watched a NatGeo Insider documentary about a prison system that is all Solitary confinement. Could you imagine being locked up for 18 months to 5 years in solitary? 15 minutes a day for a shower and 1 hour for exercise outside of your cell. 22hr45m per day, alone in a small cell with no personal contact or conversation, day after day after day. That is cruel enough for most people, cruel enough in fact to drive some to the point of madness.

Then there is public caning and whipping. How fiercely painful must it be to have your flesh torn over and over by sharp, hot, quick stricks from either of these weapons?

We are a gruesome lot, no question about it.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" Man can be so hypocrytical, to punish somebody using the crime they have been condemned for is just wrong. To execute a murderer frees him from his crime, is that justice? Prison was the perfect concept but political correctness means even those deemed unfit for human society get to retain thier human rights. Rendering prison useless and ineffective.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
gang raped to death is probably the worse

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ReeVeeR

Short Version:

Humans are the most barbaric, savage animals on planet Earth.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Luckily our body has a system that puts you into shock, and disconnects you to the pain, or the knowledge of what is being done to you.

Look at it this way, most prey in the animal kingdom is eaten alive.

I have to wonder how much torture dying of old age might be.

For some of these brutal murderers, I think maybe some of these old methods should be brought back.

The most brutal method I have heard is that they would put a large board on top of you, and pile rocks on until it slowly crushed you.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
well maybe once word got out if you were stalking and peeping in someone's windows at night you would get your eyes gouged out....or if you were stealing you would get your hands cut off...I think once the punishment was given a few times maybe people would think twice about the crimes they are thinking about doing....I see nothing wrong with this as long as the punnishment was deserved...and yes nothing is mentioned about the electric chair, gas chamber, or lethal injection either way somebody has decided this just...some countries just have a no tolerance attitude toward crime...

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Thoughts...

Forgiveness = Benevolent

Revenge = Malevolent
--------------------------------------------------------
And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:

Whose soever sins ye remit , they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.
--------------------------------------------------------
How can we expect forgiveness if we refuse to forgive? We lay up treasures in Heaven when we forgive.

There are two sides to this coin.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by _R4t_

ARGHH! Being bitten and stung and eaten alive by spiders, centipedes
and other bugs over several days until you die is the worst death
imaginable to me.

Does anyone know if there is a sure-fire way to kill yourself if you're
scheduled to be tortured to death? I mean kill yourself if you're locked
inside a room with nothing but a ceiling/floor/4walls. I don't think you
could hold your breath long enough to die, but you could jump up in the
air and come down on your head to snap your neck..right?

Hopefully none of us will ever be put in a position to avert being tortured
to death by committing suicide, but this thread has caused me to think
about what could happen...and given me the creeps as well.

-cwm

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
From reading this thread, I can honestly say that it is no wonder the world is in the state it is. We have war and crime and vengeance all over this planet. Hasn't anyone even thought that counseling and forgiveness creating a pathway for criminals to see the error of their ways is the best punishment of all? Seriously. Help them develop a conscience so that they must spend the rest of this life feeling the guilt of their crimes and then speaking to children about the consequences of those crimes.

Eye for an eye is good in theory. However, how do you facilitate an atmosphere where the criminal pays his debt to society by becoming a DRAIN on society and the financial system? Spending the rest of your life in prison and/or as a cripple costing society instead of producing for society only punishes the society in which they reside.

We must either change our ways of handling criminals to make them productive members of society or exhile them to their own island (like Alcatraz) where they must do labor.

I know this sounds a little too touchy-feely for some of you, but if we always do what we've always done and it's not doing any of us any good, then WHY aren't we changing the system? As the system currently operates, these prisoners have it better than all these people in the USA who have lost their jobs and home and have no means to provide for their families. Not only do US prisons provide food and shelter, but they also have gyms and cable tv and ability to get educated and the list goes on and on.

IF prisoners are going to become a drain on society, then how does the punishment create justice? They need to be counselled and ministered to and medicated (if necessary) and shown a HIGHER PATH to take instead of learning more crimes and better ways to commit them or becoming a burden on society.

There are, of course, exceptions such as Charles Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer and Ed Gain who should be put to death humanely since such psychopathic behaviour cannot be successfully corrected to reside within a society and they should not become a financial burden to the society either.

(I see that FearNoEvil is on the same thought-waves as I).

[edit on 7/12/2010 by Nivcharah]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ts117
reply to post by ReeVeeR

Short Version:

Humans are the most barbaric, savage animals on planet Earth.

I would have to agree with this. I was trying to think of an animal to prove you wrong, but I couldn't. At first I thought, "apes." Chimpanzees cannibalize each other. Wait, humans do that.
Then I thought, "lions." Dominant males kill other pride's young that might be a threat. But, oh wait, humans kill each other's young as well. Except we call it "collateral damage."
But I can't think of any other animal that uses torture.
We are definitely the most barbaric and savage. I guess that comes with having the most advanced brain? That must be the reason, because our brain is what separates us most from other animals. It must be the factor.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Yeah on an animalistic scale we're really at the top... try to find another species that kill for something as stupid as paper "money"...

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by triplereiki
reply to post by SmokeJaguar67

I watch Spanish news channels, and they show people (dead) killed in various ways and accidents. Things like that happens alot in those countries. But in the US news, you hardly are allowed to see what is REALLY going on, because a kid might see it, a adult might get grossed out or pass out......

That's not really true, after all there are kids here as well, and people see what others want them to see. For example, there was a recent discover of a protein that kills some of the AIDS virus seeds, and past week they didn't talk about anything but football.

And, well, I have not seen a dead body on any news channel in these years, but years ago there was a campaign of the government to stop driving so fast and try to save lives. The campaign was formed of television ads that showed real bodies of people that lost the life in the road. I don't remember well but some of them had heavy impacts on the head, some covered in blood, some had limbs cut off.. I don't know how many time the campaign lasted, they removed it after some weeks, cause of parents' complaints.. But, after all, it worked; people drove slower and there was a minimal number of victims.

[edit on 13-7-2010 by Spinotoror]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
What kind of animal would you have to be to be able to saw through people, starting from the crotch, while you feel and hear the flesh rip, the bones crack, and the horrible screams?

It's overkill. The torturing was for entertainment. It shows our true colors.

Most of our problems stem from us not being able to acknowledge and accept that we're not as special as we think we are.

The main thing that separates us from any other living thing on earth is our big ego. It's basically a selfish survival tool to keep the human race going. It's what makes us "special", but it's also our main weakness and I think will ultimately be the cause of our own demise.

I'm not trying to derail the thread but if there is a God, he doesn't care about the evil and suffering that goes on in this world, otherwise he would've prevented all of it right from the very beginning. Also, I love how Christians in America seem to think that their country is the center of the universe. They just happened to be born into the one true religion.

We are scared animals that want so desperately to be special.

After hearing about a theory that humans are a more complex form of bacteria, i'm starting to believe it. We're obviously meant to destroy the earth because that's what we do best. We are mold on a very big sandwich.

[edit on 13-7-2010 by Naughty B0B]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join