It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When and what to contribute.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I've been thinking about this for a while and it really was compounded by this really enjoyable thread:

Hollow Earth: Evidence of FantasyLand (Must See !)

The information presented has been discussed and shown on ATS before, but some things deserve a second showing - stuff can easily drop off the radar sometimes and the OP did a really nice job of putting it all together.

Thing is, any real discussion didn't seem to happen until page 3 or so, everything that followed was along the lines of "Great post OP S+F" - I know it's nice to say, but how about just giving it a star and flag if you don't have anything relevant to add? This isn't meant to be bitchy, I just sometimes find it hard to wade through extensive threads where there's a lot of "fluff".

Don't get me wrong though, I've done this myself too - but am now going to refrain unless I can contribute something. I'll still be starring and flagging stuff I appreciate though, hell even some stuff I don't appreciate will still get flagged.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by jokei

Why not just BUMP the orginal thread? you even liked it, but you start a thread about a thread.

P.S. I liked the thread as well.

[edit on 12/7/2010 by TheDon]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by TheDon

This thread isn't specifically about that thread... it's not a particular rant either, just an observation that sometimes good threads get bogged-down by a lot of irrelevant "Thanks OP S+F" that add nothing to the Original Post, which is a shame.

If you're giving a star and flag is that not enough of an initial bump? I get the idea of bumping old(er) threads that are deserving, but it seems superfluous for something that's on the front page anyway.

Again, this is just an observation on the ease of reading "good" threads.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
There are swings and roundabouts.
If nobody adds any posts, the thread disappears from view more quickly, and then nobody sees it.
There must be a happy medium somewhere.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by jokei

My observation of this issue has shown me that alot of the fluff posts come from newer members eager to get their post counts up.
Just posting for the sake of posting really.
I agree with you and support this thread in hopes that we see less of this.

I concur,if someone has nothing to add then please just don't post.

When I was a newcomer I did it too so I see it more as part of the learning curve as an ats member.
I hope people learn from this thread.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Looking at the replys now are they and I talking about a thread?

I stand by what I said but i also see what you are trying to do, I just think IMO your thread title did not reflect what you were trying to do.

Peace.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by TheDon

He is making a good observation on the posts that contribute nothing.The linked thread was an example.
I for one get annoyed reading a full page of nothing posts that waste my time and waste bandwidth for the sake of posting like this.(see below)

Interesting!!

Posts like the above are useless and add nothing which is what the OP in this thread is addressing.
Or a post like....
Star and flag.
Is there really a reason to announce it??
Just star it and flag it and move on.

The point of the OP is this.....if you having nothing intelligent to add to the thread then just don't post as its annoying seeing junk clutter the boards while having to wade thru a few pages to get an intelligent post that adds to the thread in a positive manner.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Surely that is a moderator's role? Can the moderators not bump posts with the statement "banal..."? There are better ways of doing it than leaving those god-awful blank spaces and perhaps the ATS board engine needs to be developed somewhat?

EDIT: Personally, I think that "this" method of discussion board presentation is well past its sell-by date and really needs to be replaced by something a lot better! ATS isn't the only site that has this issue, it is just that it is a legacy from years ago that hasn't really been updated.

[edit on 12-7-2010 by SugarCube]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by jokei

i think your thread is aptly titled - i knew what you meant even before i read.

i had been thinking about this, just this morning, about 3 or 4 threads before this one...

i must say the announcing of stars and flags seem to take something away from the whole star and flag thing, anyway.

if i get stars, that's great. i don't really want to know who gave them to me.

and on the snipey side, for the last few days, i'm wondering what is the point of reading a thread about something that one claims is of no interest to them, at all....and then posting a reply saying as much?

if it doesn't interest, and especially if it is annoying for whatever reason....no need to announce it, either!

i wonder if it is dis'ing the OP or if it is attention seeking or maybe reverse psychology, like when you don't believe in aliens, say, but participate in almost every alien thread just to say you don't believe in them and why and also why no one else should, either.

that's just nonsense.
nothing better to do?

thanks for starting this thread, jokei, since i had a beef and you gave me the chance to voice it before it got me irked.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Thanks for your responses, some food for though.

Anyone like the idea of a "Collapse" feature? Something where you can go through a thread and just mark certain replies as "read" so that you don't have to see them.

I'm not too sure how the Ignore feature works as I don't use it, but I'm guessing it hides a certain poster from you if you put them on ignore - I'd not want to do this, but it would be handy to do for individual posts (not posters).

If anyone thinks this might be a decent idea I'll try to eloquently lobby the mods via the complain feature.

Again, this isn't a dis of anyone specific - just something some of us seem to find distracting.

Also, sorry if the title has mislead anyone, I thought it was clear and the thread I linked to was just to exemplify because I thought it was a great and nicely presented thread, I just had a lot to wade through before I got to some interesting responses.

top topics

join