It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discourse on voluntary servitude - 1548

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Discourse on Voluntary Servitude - Estienne de la Boetie 1548

"But doctors tell us we ought not to meddle with wounds that are incurable. I am wasting my time preaching this lesson, for the people long ago lost consciousness, lost all awareness that they are sick. This fact demonstrates plainly that the condition is fatal. Let us therefore attempt to explain how this stubborn desire to be slaves has become so deeply-rooted that it now seems as though the very love of liberty is no longer natural. "

Jack D. Forbes - 1978
"What Forbes tells us is that there is this negative consciousness, this spiritual sickness called "The Wetiko Psychosis" that gets passed on from being to being. It's an inherited twisted perspective on life, and feeling about life.. The bestowers for the last 500 years of the Wetiko disease have come from the European culture, although he mentions that many cultures through out history have endulged in Wetiko behavior, from Egypt, to Rome, to Russia, China. He's also mentioned that the once oppressed may carry on this mentality, this lunacy to a higher degree sometimes then the original oppressors/ colonizers."

[edit on 12-7-2010 by pai mei]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by pai mei

Your point/discussion is ???

All I see is 2 quotes and reference links.

Peace

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Howard Zinn

"The foundation principle of Indian government had always been the rejection of government. The freedom of the individual was regarded by practically all Indians north of Mexico as a canon infinitely more precious than the individual's duty to his community or nation. This anarchistic altitude ruled all behavior, beginning with the smallest social unit, the family. The Indian parent was constitutionally reluctant to discipline his children.' Their every exhibition of self-will was accepted as a favorable indication of the development of maturing character.. . , There was an occasional assembling of a council, with a very loose and changing membership, whose decisions were not enforced except by the influence of public opinion. A Moravian minister who lived among them described Indian society:

Thus has been maintained for ages, without convulsions and without civil discords, this traditional government, of which the world, perhaps, does not offer another example; a government in which there are no positive laws, but only long established habits and customs, no code of jurisprudence, but the experience of former times, no magistrates, but advisers, to whom the people nevertheless, pay a willing and implicit obedience, in which age confers rank, wisdom gives power, and moral goodness secures title to universal respect."

------------------------

"(The Pawnee) They were a well-disciplined people, maintaining public order under many trying circumstances. And yet they had none of the power mechanisms that we consider essential to a well-ordered life. No orders were ever issued...Time after time I tried to find a case of orders given and there were none. Gradually I began to realize that democracy is a very personal thing which like charity, begins at home. Basically it means not being coerced and having no need to coerce anyone else. The Pawnee learned this way of living in the earliest beginning of his life. In the detailed events of every day as a child, he began his development as a disciplined and free man or as a women who felt her dignity and her independence to be inviolate"

--------------------

"The Creeks are just honest, liberal and hospitable to strangers; considerate, loving and affectionate to their wives and relations; fond of their children; industrious, frugal, temperate and persevering; charitable and forbearing. I have been weeks and months among them and in their towns, and never observed the least sign of contention or wrangling: never saw an instance of and Indian beating his wife, or even reproving her in anger. In this case they stand as examples of reproof to the most civilized nations . . . for indeed their wives merit their esteem and the most gentle treatment, they being industrious, frugal, loving and affectionate . . .Their internal police and family economy. . .incontrovertibly place those people in an illustrious point of view: their liberality, intimacy and friendly intercourse with one another, without any restraint of ceremonious formality; as if they were even insensible of the use of necessity of associating the passions of affections of avarice, ambition or covetousness. . . How are we to account for their excellent policy in civil government; it cannot derive its influence from coercive laws, for they have no such artificial system."

See the red text. That organization was natural. Alive. Living things have no inner-conflicts. They are perfect. They evolve - trough millions of years. Nothing is "thought", "planned" - and in the end they are perfect. It worked - because people, life - was free. The basics for life were all around. No fences, no property. Among free people - natural relations appear. Food was also free. Just imagine - going camping and telling to some friend "I don't want to give you any food, sorry if you lost/forgot yours, now you sit there and watch me eat". Nobody "took advantage" of this - because people are not like that. In our imagination that would be an "advantage". What it really means is - sickness. That's not an "advantage" that's self destruction, and the destruction of everything around. There were no "greedy" people in the natural/alive organization called "Tribe". Greed was bad for the tribe as a whole - so it was bad for the individual. Greed- is not the result of evolution. It's just the what we get - when inside this madness.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by pai mei

OK no discussion I see, I will be moving on.

Good luck

Peace.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Why do you want "discussion" ? This is the "information" I present. No intention to argue about it. Who is interested - see it.

Our young people, raised under the old rules of courtesy, never indulged in the present habit of talking incessantly and all at the same time. To do so would have not only been impolite, but foolish; for poise, so much admired as social grace, could not be accompanied by restlessness. Pauses were acknowledged gracefully and did not cause a lack of ease or embarrassment.

Standing Bear

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by pai mei

I was on the understanding this was the "Conspiracy" forum, and is a place to debate not just quote information.

You have post some facts that you see relevant to you personally but yet you have not started a debate?

I am not looking for an arguement, but I do like to know what the OP's opinion is regarding information that they post on a conspiracy site.

I see this is not a thread for me so I will leave you to it. Good luck.

Peace.

[edit on 12/7/2010 by TheDon]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by TheDon

I wrote enough. Tired to repeat the same things. See the link in my signature. Here:
"Life"

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
This is an interesting quote:

And yet, the ancient annals offer anyone a clear historical lesson: of those people who have seen their country badly governed and have sought through good, honest motives to deliver it, have been unsuccessful. Liberty has always given herself a helping hand. Harmodius, Aristogiton, Thrasybulus, Brutus the Elder, Valerius and Dion were of courageous mind, and hence successful in their enterprises: Fortune almost never fails the virtuous.

True, given that this was written in the 16th century. Proven wrong by the American Revolution. Why was that successful? Perhaps because those involved directly addressed these issues.

Great find, this document.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
That text is quite long and exposes the mechanism in which, through generations, the act of servitude for the rich and powerful becomes the norm. That text has been known to be circulating before the french revolution.

That text is the most eye opening one I know of. I am quite disappointed that the average ATSer do not read sources and do not want to educate himself, only debate military actions and end of the world scenarios.

You are all slaves perpetuating the oppression system without knowing it.

S+F to the poster.

new topics

top topics

join