It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recurring Dreams: a message from your Higher Self?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Introduction:
I used to laugh at the idea that all living things could be somehow interconnected by a common bond. Maybe it was my upbringing which involved exposure to Monotheistic Religious principles. But, after reading some quality and thought-provoking threads here on ATS, I feel much more welcome to the notion that we might all be descendents of the same, infinite matter that became aware of its existence and began to create. What do Dreams have to do with the above? The older I grow the more I am convinced that something “higher” than my current self in this physical world is trying to tell me something, because I keep having Recurring Dreams of which all share themes I am able to recall (partially) when I wake up.

I am not talking about Recurring Dreams in the sense that an exact sequence of events is taking place with the same beginning and ending. I am referring more to the sense that certain Dreams may be different in details, but they share strong feelings of consensus and familiarity. It is a difficult feeling to explain but I will include examples to try and indicate what I mean. Before I do that, I just want to make clear specifically what it is I am presenting for discussion:

In the hypothetical situation that the above is true, could Dreams be an avenue for our “Higher Selves” (parts of our soul/energy from a higher dimension/reality) to communicate with our physical selves in an attempt to give clues and guidelines in helping us remember what our journey actually is? I personally do feel like I am at a stumbling block in my life and have felt so for a few years now. I keep having Dreams that fit the above and wonder what I might be trying to tell myself.

The Fun Stuff:
Form one:
Aside from the occasional weird/random Dreams from time to time, the main theme I seem to experience is that of going back to school classrooms and school camps, meeting old friends, classmates and rivals. The strange thing is that while I am taken back in time and the context of everybody else changes, I remain in my current age and current level of experience. It is important to note that when this happens I begin to feel like an outsider and that others are aware that I am older and more experienced than they are. They do not say these things and they seem to welcome me as if I do fit in with the context.

Form two:
Another form involves me being able to do phenomenal things while not taking much pleasure in doing them. For example, I can fly, teleport, levitate (most common) etc. Sometimes the feeling of wonder and surprise lasts for a short time, but usually I feel empty and bored after a few minutes and ask myself “what now?”.

Discussion:
Here are some questions for those interested:
1. Can anybody else relate to these experiences?
2. What type type of forms do your own Recurring Dreams take?
3. Do you agree there might be some truth to the hypothesis?
4. Does anybody feel they have specific advice for me in regard to my two types of Dreams and what they might represent?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope you found it stimulating!

[edit on 12/7/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Before reading anything you said I was thinking of replying about the recurring schoolmates theme I've been going through for the past few months.

Almost every night I have dreams, and almost every time it involves people that I haven't seen in years. Sometimes it's people from elementary school, sometimes highschool, sometimes mixed.

The feeling is generally more loving than what it really was in real life, and I've attributed it to my longing to 'get back to my old self' and be comfortably sociable again.

I don't know, it's hard trying to come up with stuff to say about dreams...

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by alaskan
Before reading anything you said I was thinking of replying about the recurring schoolmates theme I've been going through for the past few months.

Almost every night I have dreams, and almost every time it involves people that I haven't seen in years. Sometimes it's people from elementary school, sometimes highschool, sometimes mixed.

The feeling is generally more loving than what it really was in real life, and I've attributed it to my longing to 'get back to my old self' and be comfortably sociable again.

I don't know, it's hard trying to come up with stuff to say about dreams...

Thank you for your reply. I feel like I can relate very much to what you have said here, it is very similar to my own experiences. I feel the same when reading your third paragraph

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
In the 1970s, my (then) husband had a recurring nightmare which often woke him in a terrified state.
He said he was watching a bulldozer approaching a solitary growing flower, and there was nothing he could do to stop it being crushed. He was a motor mechanic, not a construction worker.

This annoyed me a little - he was an egocentric control freak who cared little for any life form other than himself when awake.

In 1980 I divorced him.
In 2003 he died in an accident at work.
A bulldozer ran over his head - no witnesses - inquest could not find out how.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Dreams are very fascinating. I've read a lot on the subject lately. I'm trying to perfect my lucid dreaming skills these days and I just had a short one this morning.

Regarding your questions, I believe that most of our dreams are built from our subconscious mind. That's why lucid dreams are so fascinating. You have a direct access to your subconscious and can create or do anything instantly that your mind can conceive. I also believe that some of our dreams are not limited to our physical bodies. What I mean is that a part of us leaves our body at night to go to the astral planes where it is possible to relive past moments.

In your situation, I couldn't tell exactly what is happening. Maybe you have some emotions buried to your subconscious mind and this one is trying to bring them up to you while your dreaming. Is there something emotionally important that happened while you were in school (either positive or negative)? When you look back at that time, do you feel like there is something you haven't dealt with?

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

I do think you're on to something. You should pick up a few books by Carl Jung, including "Two Essays on Analytical Psychology" and "Modern Man in Search of a Soul".

The man devoted a lifetime to studying dreams, and even spent some time with primitve tribes in Africa to compare their tribal symbolism with the contents of dreams of people in the civilized world.

He's a bit "out there" and some of the stuff is hard to swallow, but I don't regret the time I spent reading anything of his. It's certainly worth a read.

[edit on 12-7-2010 by NewlyAwakened]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by margaretr
In 1980 I divorced him.

Wow, that is one strange story. Have you ever had a dream similar those since he has passed away? Just curious if maybe there is some kind of spiritual connection because it seems that's an event that has left a significant mark in your mind.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExpandedMinds
Dreams are very fascinating. I've read a lot on the subject lately. I'm trying to perfect my lucid dreaming skills these days and I just had a short one this morning.

They truly are! For me the difference between lucid dreaming and standard dreaming has become very hard to separate. I understand the distinction but lately I've found it hard to establish whether I am consciously aware in the dream that I know I am dreaming and can control my actions.

Regarding your questions, I believe that most of our dreams are built from our subconscious mind. That's why lucid dreams are so fascinating. You have a direct access to your subconscious and can create or do anything instantly that your mind can conceive. I also believe that some of our dreams are not limited to our physical bodies. What I mean is that a part of us leaves our body at night to go to the astral planes where it is possible to relive past moments.

I agree about the link to the subconscious mind. Haven't taken part in Astral Projection yet but I plan to soon. It seems unlikely that you can AP while dreaming without conscious effort - that is my opinion at this moment anyway.

In your situation, I couldn't tell exactly what is happening. Maybe you have some emotions buried to your subconscious mind and this one is trying to bring them up to you while your dreaming. Is there something emotionally important that happened while you were in school (either positive or negative)? When you look back at that time, do you feel like there is something you haven't dealt with?

That's helpful advice and I thank you for sharing. The trouble is that I get the feeling like I know the answer but a part of me is not allowing me to comprehend it. Sounds strange, I know...

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewlyAwakened
I do think you're on to something. You should pick up a few books by Carl Jung, including "Two Essays on Analytical Psychology" and "Modern Man in Search of a Soul".

I do remember studying Jung at one time. I have also briefly studied about Freud and his views on dreams.

The man devoted a lifetime to studying dreams, and even spent some time with primitve tribes in Africa to compare their tribal symbolism with the contents of dreams of people in the civilized world.
Sounds very interesting; the comparison between the two extremes would be fascinating.

He's a bit "out there" and some of the stuff is hard to swallow, but I don't regret the time I spent reading anything of his. It's certainly worth a read.

I will look into it. Usually I am rather lazy in that regard, but if it strikes a chord with me then I will go the distance.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost

In 1980 I divorced him.

Wow, that is one strange story. Have you ever had a dream similar those since he has passed away? Just curious if maybe there is some kind of spiritual connection because it seems that's an event that has left a significant mark in your mind.

I lived in fear of him for a long time after the divorce, and in my dreams I relived the time he threatened me with a knife. Eventually in my dreams I reversed those roles, and chased him with one, and I felt free of him.

I have recently read about shamanism and have been advised (by the author of Matrix V) that he may have stolen one of my 'soul pieces' due to that violence.

I bought a book by Alberto Villoldo (a shaman) about Soul Retrieval, but I am reluctant to get involved in rituals so am unlikely to attempt the retrieval. I will rely on my Higher self to instruct what is best for me to do, or not do.

[edit on 12-7-2010 by margaretr]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I always knew dreams had a meaning to them and have had dreams that someone important to me is usually in and feel that that same person mite actually be in the dream too, but just from their view as I feel everyone has free will and if it wasn't mutual they wouldn't be in the said dreams.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Does anybody feel they have specific advice for me in regard to my two types of Dreams and what they might represent?

I do find this kind of stuff fascinating. I have had recurring dreams before involving railroad tracks. I came across a really cool place to delve into the meaning of some of the things in dreams so I'll share some of what I've looked into.

Railroad

To see a railroad in your dream, indicates that you have laid out a set track toward achieving your goals. Your progress will be slow but steady. You are well disciplined and secure in your life. Alternatively, the dream indicates that you may be too linear and rigid in your thinking. Sometimes you need to go off track and explore other possibilities. To see an obstruction on the railroad, refers to the obstacles standing in your way toward your goals. It may also mean that you have lost track of your goals. To dream that you are walking alongside the railroad tracks, signifies completion of your tasks. To dream that you are crossing railroad tracks, indicates that you are going against the path that others have laid out for you. You are doing your own thing and not what others want or expect of you. Alternatively, the dream symbolizes a transitional phase. Consider the phrase of coming/being from "the wrong side of the tracks." Perhaps it signifies the progress you have made. Do not forget about your humble beginnings.

www.dreammoods.com...

Now this site is like a dictionary if you will. I've looked into all kinds of things that I've come across in dreams like dogs, stores, rivers, stairs and just about anything you can think of. I'm not sure if I buy into everything they say but it is really cool just the same. In regards to your own dreams I looked up the following.

School

To dream that you are in school, signifies feelings of inadequacy and childhood insecurities that have never been resolved. It may relate to anxieties about your performance and abilities. If you are still in school and dream about school, then the dream may just be a reflection of your daily life and has no special significance. Alternatively, a dream that takes place in school may be a metaphor for the lessons that you are learning from your waking life. You may be going through a "spiritual learning" experience. To dream that you are looking for a school, suggests that you need to expand your knowledge and learning. To dream that you are at a new school, means that you are feeling out of place in some situation. Or perhaps there is a new lesson that you need to learn. To dream that your childhood school is in ruins, suggests that you are dwelling on some unresolved childhood issue. Alternatively, the dream represents the passage of time. You need to look toward the future instead of reliving the past. *Please see also Teacher.

www.dreammoods.com...

Flying

To dream that you are flying, signifies a sense of freedom where you had initially felt restricted and limited. To dream that you are flying with black wings, signifies bitter disappointments. *For an in depth analysis, click on Dream Mood's Common Dreams: Flying.

www.dreammoods.com...

Teleportation

To teleport in your dream, represents your desires to escape your current situation or to move more faster and easier through it. You may be expressing some frustrations with how your waking life is proceeding and the slow speed that it is moving at.

www.dreammoods.com...

These are just a few examples from that website. You can really break down specific things that seem pertinent in your dreams and see what they have to say about them. I think its a pretty cool site. Maybe you will too! I hope it helps.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   

I lived in fear of him for a long time after the divorce, and in my dreams I relived the time he threatened me with a knife. Eventually in my dreams I reversed those roles, and chased him with one, and I felt free of him.

I have recently read about shamanism and have been advised (by the author of Matrix V) that he may have stolen one of my 'soul pieces' due to that violence.

I bought a book by Alberto Villoldo (a shaman) about Soul Retrieval, but I am reluctant to get involved in rituals so am unlikely to attempt the retrieval. I will rely on my Higher self to instruct what is best for me to do, or not do.

Good to hear you have somewhat resolved this frightening dream. I do not know much about Shamanism but I do recall reading about a book called "Horse Boy" where parents with an autistic child went to Mongolia or something and got help from Shamans there. After performing some rituals, apparently the results were astronomical.

But I agree a cautious approach is necessary when dealing with teachings we do not understand very well.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by America?
I always knew dreams had a meaning to them and have had dreams that someone important to me is usually in and feel that that same person mite actually be in the dream too, but just from their view as I feel everyone has free will and if it wasn't mutual they wouldn't be in the said dreams.

It's tough to say whether other people can enter our own dream realms or not. (Of course if we truly are all connected somehow then it would be possible, but it just seems unlikely). Whenever I encounter somebody I know, I get the feeling that the way they act in the Dream relies on my own interpretation of them most of the time. So therefore, it seems like I am constructing how I see them, not that they are actually independent entities intruding on my Dream World.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

Thanks for the links, that is some interesting stuff. I've had that website in my bookmarks for years now but haven't been there in a while. One of the problems I find with those "Dream Interpretation Guides" is that they offer so many varied explanations for each element or theme. They are very general and are unlikely to be specific toward individuals. Dreams are obviously very subjective (imo, probably the most subjective experience one can have), but it just seems too general and varied to be accurate enough to take seriously. There are positive things to take from them so I do encourage others that have not read them to have a look.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Cool thread,. I always thought Dreams were mostly just reflections of things going on in your life. But I have had a sort of awakening lately. I ran across a book quite by accident called "Edgar Cayce On Dreams" and am reading it and it rings true to me. I did not realize he was quite the interpreter of dreams.

www.amazon.com...

He says dreams are indeed communications to you from 3 sources. One is from the body if you are neglecting some area of your health or have some disease and or may be on the verge of it but not aware of it yet. The next is the higher mind or computer brain that helps you solve problems in your life especially if you have something weighing on you. And the 3rd is the higher self or soul that gives you communications as to your lifes mission.

I have been slowly learning to interpret my dreams. First thing I did is start writing them down. Keep a pen and pad near the bed or bathroom and in the morning write it down before you forget it or important parts of it. This focuses your attention on your dreams. I also say to myself about 20 times right when I have gone to bed; "I remember my dreams"

Anyway Cayce seems to feel that most of the time but not always the other people in your dreams represent you in some way. I am slowly learning to interpret my dreams. So I'll take a shot on what your dreams mean

The first one where you are back in school could mean that you need to further your education like in spiritual matters. You haven't progressed since your school days in this area. And this is reflected also where you said; I personally do feel like I am at a stumbling block in my life and have felt so for a few years now."

Your second one more clearly reflects the same theme but from a higher perspective where you can fly teleport etc. and you quickly become bored and ask what's next. So this seems to say that it is time to move on and continue your education or search for higher truths in spiritual matters which you seem to be doing now.

Keep in mind I am new at this
so take it for what it's worth but I have noticed the more I focus my attention on it the more my intuition in interpretation seems to get better at it.

Another thing Edgar Cayce used to do is go into his hypnotic trance and have his wife read the dreams to him of people and he would interpret it and even tell them parts of the dream they did not tell him. I wondered how I might duplicate this and one way is meditation and a relaxed state. Another I found kind of by accident. And that is in the morning when waking but not fully awake but in that twilight state where the logical mind can function but you are still connected to the dream state. Then focus on the dream and the interpretation will come because you are still in a hypnotic state. Write it down right away though.

Anyway hope this helps

[edit on 13-7-2010 by hawkiye]

new topics

top topics

join