It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indians demand US firm be held accountable for gas leak

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Indians demand US firm be held accountable for gas leak

rt.com

Published 12 July, 2010, 06:05

An old Union Carbide plant owned by the American-based company Dow Chemicals refuses to clean up the factory premises, where tons of toxic waste is buried, slowly contaminating the soil and water around.

A study last year found the poison has seeped into nearby homes, where children have been born with birth defects for quite some time.

Bibi Jaan, who lives opposite the old Union Carbide plant, says her granddaughter Namasi, like many other kids in the neighbor
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
en.wikipedia.org
rt.com
rt.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Justice for Bhopal? Not a chance (Warning Graphic Images)
Bhopal gas leak convictions not enough, say campaigners

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
The disaster at Bhopal is something that has been discussed on ATS before, and I have linked to the 2 most recent threads that I could locate. Those threads have some good information on this. This article just came out on RT this morning.

The fact that this issue occurred approximately 26 years ago does not diminish it's effects on the lives of the people who have died and suffered due to corporate greed and negligence. There are people who continue to suffer and die needlessly due to this disaster. What is most appalling about this entire situation, is that corporate interests were placed above all else while in pursuit of profits. These same interests we see daily as is evidenced in the current GOM disaster. As we all know, where there is money, there is greed.

The former CEO of Union Carbide India Limited still has an arrest warrant from Indian authorities for his role in ignoring safety procedures and the murder of an estimated between 3,500 and 25,000 people of Bhopal. He fled India to the US while still on bail after his arrest in India shortly after the disaster, and continues to fight extradition to India.

Since many of those Indian people who were directly affected were from poor communities, I expect reports about this will continue to be published from time to time, and nothing more than a few occasional tokens will be done about it.

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I think this case highlights the stark contrast between this major disaster, and the Deepwater Horizon explosion.

The US government has pretty much protected it's own in this case, yet thrown the book at BP (rightfully). Why is there such a double standard? It's sickening.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Goathief
I think this case highlights the stark contrast between this major disaster, and the Deepwater Horizon explosion.

The US government has pretty much protected it's own in this case, yet thrown the book at BP (rightfully). Why is there such a double standard? It's sickening.

I concur with you. However I don't think many are aware of this incident and if they have gotten away with it for 2 decades then it is quite unlikely that anything is bound to happen now.

This is the second biggest industrial disaster in Asia next only to the Chernobyl disaster. However as this has happened in a "3rd world country" to an impoverished class of people who cannot really fight back, this incident will be forgotten and be relegated to obscurity.

[edit on 12-7-2010 by Leonardo01]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
While this incident did happen a long time ago it seems, it's good that articles are published to remind us that power and greed are usually fulfilled at the expense of the less fortunate. We really cannot forget about this, especially with so many businesses having relocated into poorer countries and communities. I'm afraid it's only a matter of time before history repeats itself. How many more people will have to suffer and die before humanity wakes up?

new topics

top topics

join