It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel bans Gaza woman from studying human rights in West Bank

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Israel bans Gaza woman from studying human rights in West Bank

The flow of goods into Gaza may have eased - but for Palestinians, restrictions on movement remain tight.

On June 8, Sharif appealed to the coordinator of government activities in the territories and to the head of the liaison administration. She was informed on June 23 that "the request has been turned down because it does not meet the criteria that are set from time to time in accordance with the political and security situation."

Related: Gaza lawyer challenges West Bank study ban

A high court ruling in 2007 said Israel should consider allowing exceptions in "cases that would have positive human consequences". Since then, Gisha says it has no knowledge of any student from Gaza being granted a permit to travel through Israel to study in the West Bank.

This woman is not being allowed to travel from Gaza through Israel to study in the West Bank. This is a distance of about 44 kilometers or 27 miles.

[edit on 7/12/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   

This decision is not intended to extend the criteria, and certainly it does not include allowing travel so that someone can engage in academic studies for a master's degree." Amir said several times that the High Court has previously upheld the state's position on this matter. She said it was dangerous to allow students such as Sharif to travel to the West Bank because Israel has to deal with the efforts of terrorist organizations to set up "branches of the Gaza terrorist infrastructure in the West Bank." One of the ways Israel deals with this is by "restricting movement between the Gaza Strip and the West Bank," she said. Apparently it makes no difference that the Al Mezan Center for Human Rights, where Sharif works, is one of the independent institutions in the Gaza Strip that regularly criticizes the Hamas government's acts of repression.

From your own post..........they arent doing it to deny them the study of human rights, they are doing it because it is dangerous and Hamas is known to operate in the area, making it life threatening to be there........

Dont omit certain things to give this a slant to fit an agenda......

It also states that this particular group is also fervently against Hamas and ITS acts of repression........

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Why study "human rights" anyway, it's just a scam. Living in Gaza, she should know this already.

Food, water and shelter are not human rights if you need money to obtain them, are they?

Animals have more rights than us, and that's a fact.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

Yup, blame the war crimes, the wall, the settlement expansion, the occupation, the torture, the blockade, the blockade of movement, the separation of Palestinian people, yup, blame everything on the resistance group who is resistance these freaken acts in the first place.

Do you know how naive you sound.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   

I didn't "omit" a thing. I linked to the full text of two articles and specifically excerpted the reasons they gave..."the request has been turned down because it does not meet the criteria that are set from time to time in accordance with the political and security situation." Clearly you found your way there.

Nowhere do I or the article say they are doing it to deny them the study of human rights. I'm not sure where you found that tidbit.

Her belonging to a group that criticizes Hamas seems like it should perhaps work in her favor in the request.

Oh, and I have no agenda, thank you. I think the facts in these reports pretty much speak for themselves.

[edit on 7/12/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
This is just a small tid-bit of the restrictions that these oppressed people face everyday. Palestinians aren't even allowed to use the same roads as the Israelis in the West Bank, in order to keep the roads free for illegal settlers.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Study Human Rights/You Can't Go Somewhere because you're a Pallestinian...
How much slant does it take to expose a concentration camp for what it is?

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Umm How bout in your title "Israel Bans Gaza women from studying human rights"

And to the poster above you, theres nothing IGNORANT about anything I said, the link to the website CLEARLY states that its for protection purposes.....did you even READ the article? I didnt over state a damn thing, I took my answer STRAIGHT from the website.

Ignorance is believing every piece of anti israel propaganda you read, Ignorance is buying into a story before you investigate it......Ignorance is the rampant antisemitism here on ATS........

That is ignorance.........next time read the article

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

its clear you didnt read the article now isnt it? You looked at the title and you looked at the first block of txt, and read NO further.......

Read the full article, ive said it twice now, it was because ITS NOT SAFE TO GO THERE, THEY ARE LOBBING ROCKETS AND HAMAS IS OPERATING IN THE AREA!

Seriously people......

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

Umm How bout in your title "Israel Bans Gaza women from studying human rights"

And to the poster above you, theres nothing IGNORANT about anything I said, the link to the website CLEARLY states that its for protection purposes.....did you even READ the article? I didnt over state a damn thing, I took my answer STRAIGHT from the website.

Ignorance is believing every piece of anti israel propaganda you read, Ignorance is buying into a story before you investigate it......Ignorance is the rampant antisemitism here on ATS........

That is ignorance.........next time read the article

Not my title...Haaretz's. And the title is actually "Israel bans Gaza woman from studying human rights in West Bank " You made an error in reading. Twice.

You actually stated quite a few things in your previoous post and I replied to you in a previous post.

I actually read six articles, going back to June 8.

Please do not be so ignorant as to assume what I do or do not believe.

Thank you.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
Ignorance is the rampant antisemitism here on ATS........

Well there it is.

As to the excuses of safety offered by the Israelis, yeah right. "You're not allowed to learn or better yourself... Get back in the cage arab, it's uh... for your safety... Kick! Kick!"

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

It seems like this poster is intentionally reading things the wrong way? Or is it me. To even turn the headline around? The story really does speak for itself. I saw a map on an Israeli site that showed the coverage area of the Hamas rockets, and the area she would be traveling through is covered completely already anyway. That fact of already existing danger, plus the history of the organization she works for would make her seem like a very unlikely candidate for propagating terrorism?

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   

lol no this poster is actually reading what the whole article says, not trying to extrapolate some antisemitic "Isreal doesnt want women learning" message.

Its quite clear, and judging by the people who have viewed this post, most would agree with me.......so curry favor with your friend if you want.

However, I would also suggest perhaps looking at your own views on Israel, maybe it is YOU who are reading the content wrong.....

No offense intended of course, I know i sound curt sometimes.....its not meant to be confrontational........

new topics

top topics

join