It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Senate Votes in favor of Law To Protect Gays, Lesbians

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Hate crimes, people who just can't seem to accept that some within the human race are not the same, or live a life they find offensive. Welcome to America where it takes the actions of law makers to show the deep hatred many have for the Gay community. Today the Senate voted in favor of laws to protect Gays. But on the other hand, officials warn that there will be an upcoming debate in Washington to amend the constitution with a ban on all homosexual marriages.

Guardian
The Senate voted 65-33 Tuesday to give gays and lesbians protection under the federal hate crime law, and officials said a debate was likely next month on a far more controversial measure to amend the Constitution with a ban on homosexual marriages.

Taken together, the developments signaled the full Senate is moving onto politically charged terrain less than five months before the fall elections, and came on a day that President Bush renewed his opposition to gay marriages.

``Before you get to marriage, you�ve got to get over hate, and today the Senate did,�� said Sen. Gordon Smith of Oregon, the leading Republican advocate of hate crimes legislation that has cleared the three times in recent years but has yet to pass the House.

``When someone is being stoned in the public square, we should all come to their rescue, and that includes the federal government,�� he added.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So what they are really saying is we will protect you Gay people, but we plan to change the constitution to forbid you to ever have the right to marry.

This is America at it's worst and best and really shows the divide over what is a sexual preference. Maybe they will find a way to amend the constitution farther and ban Gays from the country all together. I am not Gay though I think this discrimination is just wrong. and it is time that we "the land of the free" learn tolerance and to accept all our people as equal. Anything less in my view is un-american'.

Related ATSNN News/Discussion, in the following link you will find a dramatic discussion on the issues of Gay marriage which shows just how divided we really are over Gay issues.
First Gay Couple Marry in France

[edit on 15-6-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   
i find this whole notion of trying to outlaw hate to be pointless and fruitless. it does nothing but give people special attention that are already protected under such laws against assualt, assault with a deadly weapon, murder, attempted murder, harassment...etc. why we need a law that more or less prosecutes the intent rather than the action is beyond me but i find it to be absurd. its a feel good solution and gives a false sense of security IMO and will do little to stop anyone from hating another person regardless of their reasons for hating that person.

i have my reservations against wanting to outlaw gay marriage but anyone willing to give up half their crap and potentially pay child support payments on a child they may never had a hand in creating is pretty loony to me so if thats what they want more power to them. i question their sanity in regards to this rather than their sexaulity. as they will have to abide by the same laws all other divorcing couples have to face in a divorce proceeding.

[edit on 15-6-2004 by ThePrankMonkey]

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I am glad they get some respect this people are real and they have been around since humans are been around so they are real they are human and they are here to stay so get over it.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   

But on the other hand officials warn that there will be an upcoming debate in washington to amend the constitution with a ban on all homosexual marriages...

That'll never go through and Bush knows it. He's just pandering to the religious right to keep them happy for the election.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Don't you think they know that, some of this people belong in high ranking goverment offices and I will tell you they are not voting for Bush.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 07:26 AM
link   
[I am glad they get some respect this people are real and they have been around since humans are been around so they are real they are human and they are here to stay so get over it.]

Some people just do not get it because you are justifying a sexual deviance as a race just because there are a lot of them. The fact is there are probably more child molesters and other perverts than gays, does this mean that they should be legalized and if you say that could not happen how are you going to stop it? Once precedence has been set it will be anything goes. There are already people trying to legalize dating children,organazations like MBLA are going to use the very laws that the gays are using and creating. What about Joe Country that wants to Marry his sheep why is that different it is his choice. And through all of this it is still illeagle for a straight person to be married to more than one woman,why would that not be his choice? What law will stop all of the crazyness now? I fear we have let this go to far already.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   
More child molesters then Gays? Is there a chance you could post those facts, or at least a source. Otherwise your arguemnet is a little off, while I don't see the need for hate crime laws, there are already enough laws to protect all from violent crime, I also don't see the need for a anti gay marriage law. While we are a still young nation, you would think we would get over our puritanical ideas, those who are gay do't chose this lifestly, it's they way they are. they work an contribute the same as anyother american, an they deserve to have the same rights.

df1

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
No laws should exist prohibiting how humans may contract to cohabitate, whether that arrangement is a male and a female, 2 males, 2 females, 2 males and 1 female, 1 male and 6 females or any other mix that is suitable to the grouping. Each religion can place whatever restriction is acceptable to its members, but government should not be able to do so.

Legislated hate crimes are nonsense, whether they pertain to sexual preference, race, gender or the size of a persons shoes. Murder is murder is murder regardless of the characteristics of the individual and should be treated the same.

The consistent point is that government wishes to pass more laws so that they may excercise greater control over the governed.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   
These laws aren't required. All this is is political BS to gain votes. It does nothing but increase the size of the penal code and help get certain folks reelected.

There are already laws on the books that deal with murder and such.

Hate crime laws are nonsense that do nothing more than clog up a criminal justice system that's already bogged down so bad it takes forever for defendants to get to court to see a judge. It's just one more thing for defense lawyers and prosecuters to slow down the wheels of justice. Appeals based on whether or not a murder was a hate crime can last years. Murder is murder is murder is murder. This will just screw things up more than they are now and cost the taxpayer in the long run.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Glad to see the American Senate standing up for what's right!

Blessed Be
~Astral

new topics

top topics

join