It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Barefoot Bandit" arrested in Bahamas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   

BEIJING, July 12 (Xinhuanet) -- "Barefoot bandit" Colton Harris-Moore, a notorious teenage fugitive who has been on the run for nearly two years, was arrested in the Bahamas, according to media reports Monday. The teen, 19, was captured after a brief boat chase near Harbour Island, which ended when police shot out the engine of Harris-Moore's boat. A Bahamas police source told wire service NewsCore: “He was caught off a place called Harbour Island, which is part of Eleuthera. He was in his boat, which we believe was the same one he stole last week. Island police have been searching for him since he allegedly crash-landed a stolen plane a week ago on nearby Great Abaco Island. Harris-Moore is suspected of stealing cars, boats and at least five planes - including the aircraft he allegedly stole in Indiana and flew to the islands off Florida's coast, despite a lack of formal flight training. He has been on the run since 2008, when he escaped from a juvenile halfway house in Renton, Washington, after pleading guilty to three counts of burglary and being sentenced to three years. He was called the "barefoot bandit" because he was without shoes when he allegedly broke into houses.

Here he is

Link

Harris-Moore, who has been running from American law enforcement since escaping from a Washington state halfway house in 2008, gained fame and thousands of fans who admired his ability to evade arrest. He is suspected of stealing cars, boats and at least five planes — including the aircraft he allegedly stole in Indiana and flew to the islands off Florida's coast, despite a lack of formal flight training. The 19-year-old is a skilled outdoorsman who honed his abilities growing up in the woods of Camano Island in Puget Sound about 30 miles (50 kilometers) north of Seattle. Island police picked up his trail in Eleuthera after recovering a 44-foot (13-meter) power boat stolen from a marina on Abaco, 40 miles (65 kilometers) to the north, where he was suspected in a string of burglaries. Burglary victims in Eleuthera told The Associated Press on Saturday they had little doubt the lanky, 6-foot, 5-inch (1.9-meter) fugitive was on the island.

Link 2

Well he is really good at surviving and traveling all over! Some people see him as a hero. What do you think about this barefoot bandit?

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
there are 2 threads on it already

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

the search function is your friend

[edit on 12-7-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
A thief is a thief! I have no respect for those who steal from others.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Weird my search engine must be made in china then

but seriously nothing came up that is funny..

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavelivanov22
reply to post by boondock-saint

Weird my search engine must be made in china then

but seriously nothing came up that is funny..

u may have misspelled a search word
like barefoot may have been searched
bearfoot.

best way to do it is to copy your title (dont type it)
and paste it in the search box and run it.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Well he broke the law, stole from people, and cost thousands of dollars in damages, but hey, this kid has to be doing something right to avoid capture for so long and steal airplanes, lol.

Hero to some, scumbag to others. I don't know what to think, but it is amazing.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
The glorification of this criminal behavior is ridiculous.

What a shame, he obviously could have made something of himself if he wanted too, reportedly being a very intelligent kid. Instead he chose to live like a rat, stealing from hard-working people and evading police. I read an article that said his mother is actually proud of him. Disgusting.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I won't stoop so low as to pass judgement on someone else, knowing full well that I have faults myself.

But I will say that it is interesting how he managed to fly a plane without any training...

[edit on 7/12/2010 by agent violet]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
First off, the powers that be want to disassociate him from us.

That in and of itself makes him a HERO.

Next off, who did he hurt or infringe on their rights?

Hell, if I had a plane, I would have gave it to him.

Next, frell the society, time to make a CHOICE!

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   
He saeems like a modern day folk hero, a Jesse James mindset. I think that is more or less why people find him a hero. He did what millions of people dream of doing, being a petty criminal or hardcore crook running from "The Man".
He is not above the law but at the same time he was smart enough to get away for 2 years across a number of sates then apparently out of the country.
I am sure we will all hear of his book and wait in lines to see his movie. As twisted in everyway as it seems, but its human nature to rrot for the underdog.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

He steals from the rich, thats a difference.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
He's born in the year of the horse and that means they love to stand up to authority

Good on you kid. You had a pretty good run out there.

Live free or die!

top topics

join