It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discovery can help predict Volcanic eruptions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
www.sciencedaily.com...

ScienceDaily (June 21, 2010) — An international team including scientists from Princeton University has detected subatomic particles -- geo-neutrinos -- deep within Earth's interior. The discovery could help geologists understand how reactions taking place in the planet's interior affect events on the surface such as earthquakes and volcanoes. Someday, scientists may know enough about the sources and flow of heat in Earth to predict events like the recent volcanic eruption in Iceland.

They are very hard to detect and very rare especially geo neutrinos.

A few months ago there was another geo neutrino prediction which led to a "peek" into the earths core.

www.sciencedaily.com...

ScienceDaily: Your source for the latest research news and science breakthroughs -- updated daily Science News Share Blog Cite Print Email Bookmark Physicists Detect Rare Geo-Neutrino Particles, Peek Into Earth's Core ScienceDaily (Mar. 29, 2010) — Using a delicate instrument located under a mountain in central Italy, two University of Massachusetts Amherst physicists are measuring some of the faintest and rarest particles ever detected, geo-neutrinos, with the greatest precision yet achieved. The data reveal, for the first time, a well defined signal, above background noise, of the extremely rare geo-neutrino particle from deep within Earth.

That's all.

Yes I do realize I posted 2 links. The second one is from a few months ago and might have already been on ats.

[edit on 11-7-2010 by Gentill Abdulla]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Gentill Abdulla

It seems to me like volcano prediction has made some decent progress. While not perfect, we do often have some decent warning from scientists before volcanic eruptions.

Predicting earthquakes will be much harder. Well, we can predict they will happen but the predictions have sometimes been over a decade off, which isn't too helpful for evacuations like the volcano warnings are, which may only be off by a few days.

And as you point out, neutrinos are notoriously difficult to detect anyway so I'm not hopeful this technology will be a big help any time soon.

Nonetheless, I find it interesting because I didn't know about geo neutrinos.

new topics

join