It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Santa Cruz Mystery Spot! W/Photos

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   

The Santa Cruz Mystery Spot is a gravitational anomaly located in the redwood forests just outside of Santa Cruz, California. It is a circular area of effect around 150 feet or 46 meters in diameter. Within the Mystery Spot you will be stunned as your perceptions of the laws of physics and gravity are questioned.

The Mystery Spot was discovered in 1939 by a group of surveyors and opened to the public in 1940. The Mystery Spot has amazed and perplexed hundreds of thousands of visitors from all over the world, and many return time and time again to experience these puzzling variations of gravity, perspective, and height.

Some speculate that cones of metal were secretly brought here and buried in our earth as guidance systems for their spacecraft. Some think that it is in fact the spacecraft itself buried deep within the ground. Other theories include carbon dioxide permeating from the earth, a hole in the ozone layer, a magma vortex, the highest dielectric bionomic radiation known anywhere in the world.. Whatever the cause is, it remains a mystery.

Source: www.mysteryspot.com

I recently visited the mystery spot myself to see what all the fuss was about. As you can see from the photos below it was quit interesting. The first Photo you can see I’m standing on the wall with the help of a 1 inch wood lip. Impossible for anyone to stand on but in the mystery spot I’m able to do it. Notice the lady standing next to me and the angle I’m standing on the wall. Quite different from each other.

The next set of photos is a group of people standing from shortest to tallest. Before everyone started to stand on the board the park ranger showed us all with a level that the board is completely level. I verified this by inspecting the level to make sure it was not altered in anyway. Even though in the photo the board looks like it is slanted but its not. It was completely level.

The park ranger then had them all switch and to our surprise everyone is almost the same height

The ranger also took us to a hill that he spilled water on and to our surprise the water started to travel up hill!!! If anyone is visting california i recomend stoping here. it was only 5 bucks. hope you injoy the Photos.

Thanks,
Camaro68ss

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Nice optical illusions.

There are a few places around the world like this.

Pretty cool.

[edit on 11/7/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

What's up buddy..?!

Grew up in Santa Cruz and have been to the M spot several times - and in different states of mind, so this opinion comes with an *

The whole gimmick of that place is the genius use of geometry and physics.

And yes, the place is quite surreal when you allow yourself to enjoy the moment and appreciate a talent for manipulating a unique landscape with catchy visuals .

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
Nice optical illusions.

Yes, and what profound input from you.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Very cool!
We have one in Oregon also at Gold Hill called House Of Mystery.
The guides explained it as an area of concentrated gravity.
I took my family up there an afterwards a few of them complained of back pain.

TextThe Oregon Vortex is a spherical field of force, half above the ground and half below the ground. The word "vortex" simply means a whirpool of force, like a whirling mass of water, especially one in which a force of suction operates, such as a whirlpool or a whirling mass of air, especially one in the form of a visible column or spiral, such as a tornado.
A vortex, essentially a whirlpool of force, is the basic form of our universe. From our galaxy, whose vortex form we see as the countless suns of the Milky Way, throughout the gravitational vortex of our solar system, down to the vortex of an atom, the vortex form recurs throughout our world structure. The Phenomena that gives The Oregon Vortex its name are evident throughout the entire area. Nowhere in the circle do you normally stand erect. Inevitably the visitor assumes a posture that inclines toward magnetic north. The corona of The Vortex, as well as the minor vortices, discovered during the continuous study of The Vortex, are among the unique phenomena to be observed here.

Another link on vortexes in US
www.angelfire.com...

Peace

[edit on 11-7-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Really cool! yeah when i went i started to get sick and wanted to barf. lol that place really mess you up

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

Straight back at ya!

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   

There is a Mystery Shack in Calico Ghost Town in Yermo CA..
but theres is more involved, they use a pool table and you can watch the balls go up a tilted table and land in the pockets as well.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
It really is quite fascinating, I don't really know what to make of it. Wiki says it is just the oddly tilited enviornment that causes the mispercptions of reality.

The Mystery Spot is a tilt-induced visual illusion. The illusion experienced by visitors results from the oddly tilted environment as well as standing on a tilted floor. Inside the tilted room of the Mystery Spot misperceptions of the height and orientation of objects occur. Even when people are standing outside on a level ground, the slant of the building in the background causes misperceptions as we judge the height of people using the slant of the roof rather than the true horizon.

en.wikipedia.org...

Not sure if I believe that 100% percent, but it was my first thought when I saw your pictures. I want it to be some cool gravitational anomaly, or an undiscovered isotope of a rare metallic element that causes the effect.

Here are some Youtube vids of the demostrations you described.
www.youtube.com...

(History Channel)
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 11-7-2010 by tooo many pills]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I think Chad is probably right.

We have a nice hill here where I live and you park your car on it, seemingly facing up hill, turn the handbrake off and watch your car roll forward up hill

It is an optical illusion as well. For whatever reason, the trees on the hill grow at a slight angle, causing you to think the hill slope is the wrong way and the car is rolling uphill.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I actually got dizzy, fell down to my knees and groped through blurry eyes for the holding bar to my right.

That happened only once back in 1998. It was almost like a `heiau`.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Santa Cruz itself is a mystery spot, man.

Some far-out mysteries have been explored up in them redwoods by various intrepid travelers...

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Six Flags STL used to have one of those types of houses(rides)..that was back in the early 80s..I don't think there is anything "mysterious" about it though.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I would venture to say there are Hundreds of "mystery spots" all of them located at special vortexes called "tourists traps". Lol

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I think the real mystery here lies in their ability to siphon five bucks out of everyone's wallet.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Looks like an interesting/fun place to visit.

I don't live close and a vacation in the near future is out of the question, but I did save the URL, so I will remember it in the future.

Thanks for sharing

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
In the first picture is the board you are on vertical, or is it slanted at an angle away from the wall? Also is the wall vertical?

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
There used to be one in northern Ohio around Marblehead and Port Clinton called "Mystery Hill". It was right next door to Prehistoric Forest which had plaster dinosaurs in the woods. It was a tourist trap and I think there were dozens of these places in the 60's.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
i just want the blonde's stats!

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Just Wondering
i just want the blonde's stats!

lol that my GF.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join