It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just Be Thankful You Have A Job!?!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I am curious to know if any of you have noticed changes in the attitudes of your employers. It seems that more and more, benefits are cut or done away with altogether, freezes are placed on raises, I could go on... but you get the picture. These days if you raise your voice to complain you are told where the door is. It seems to me that it is a type of emotional blackmail.
Family also used to mean something to most employers. I have built up over 150 hours of sick time, used to be that if our children where sick, spouse, parents, whatever...we could use those hours, not anymore. They will soon be taken away from us anyway I am sure.
My employer is changing insurance companies too. Guess what... each employee has to be weighed... overweight, you will pay more for the policy. Several changes have been implemented recently by the CEO of the company, and we were told that if we had a problem with any it, we could go home and stay there. Just be thankful you have a job! Understaffed, overworked, underpaid, lost benefits,....yeah, thats a lot to be thankful for!!
Are you seeing this at your job too? Do you not feel as if you are being emotionally blackmailed? They know that times are hard right now and I think that is why they do what they want without any regard for their once "team"! (I haven't heard that term used in a long time!)

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I'll never understand how Hollywood gives us information that we don't use. Let me explain that random statement.

We have seen how many movies about bank robbers, hostages and Stockholm syndrome?

America has Stockholm syndrome. Citizens are the hostages and corporations are the robbers. C-Class employees are the masterminds, VPs are the strong-arms and Directors are the get away drivers.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Not knowing what you do for a living, sadly, most people are expendable. There are so many people looking for jobs, they could replace you in a heartbeat in most cases, and probably pay the new person less.

Can you say, bend over?

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I don't see it in my own job, Greenize, but I do see the same patterns all around me. Government employees being put on part-time. Here, the most stable job a person can aspire to is a government (civil service [oxymoron?]).

Construction jobs are drying up, and this is a place that depends on both construction and tourism. Very few visitors by comparison of previous years, and some restaurants are truncating their hours as well as their employees' hours. We'll survive, but many people are getting very worried........ almost as though............... they just noticed how bad the global economy is.

I discovered at about the age of 14 that I couldn't borrow my way out of debt. That was a bad time, and the lesson stuck with me. Many governments, especially local ones, are discovering this same lesson.

I think it'll be okay, because people rise to their best when under fire -- at least that's my belief. Sometimes we find the better part of ourselves when we think we're at the bottom.

edit fer speli'n

[edit on 11/7/10 by argentus]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I am thankful I have a job. We just got a raise for the first time in 3 years. Recently, the company started contributing to our 401ks again. In both cases less than they were before though.

I've been with the company for a long time and I have seen people that left and came back because there isn't much out there. At least I am able to take care of my family and pay bills. So yes, I am thankful for my job.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
yes, and I'm absolutely sick of that phrase...

How am I lucky to have a job?

Jobs are controlled slavey.

I want to work because I enjoy accomplishing things, but I don't want to work 40 to 60 hours a week. I shouldn't have to, just to be able to keep a roof over my head and food on the table..? Not to mention I work for free 33% to 40% of the time.

A roof and food shouldn't cost me 60 hours of my freedom a week.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
In the company I work for in the emergency medical field, 3 IT people, 2 managers and a senior administrator, have found higher paying jobs with other companies locally, and we are hiring to fill all 3 slots locally. We also have 2 IT field technician slots open, 1 in California and another in Ohio, we're hiring for. Our stock price is holding steady to climbing. And we're getting our annual performance raise this month. I am attending college for my Bachelor's Degree, and the company covers $3,000 / annually for the program. I don't get my healthcare insurance through them because I'm retired military, but those who do I work with say it's a good package. I do get my 401k through them with matching funds, and am in a company stock sharing program also.

Personally, this definitely beats short term contract work all to hell!

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Myendica

I hear you! Recently a rash of co-workers decided they had had enough and quit! Upper management has decided they are not going to replace them, that the rest of us could pick up the slack...
yeah well, what that has meant for me is being made to clock out for lunch but continue on working straight through, then if I happen to forget to clock out for lunch, my boss doctors my time in her pc before she submits it for approval... yeah thats fair isn't it!

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
My company is pretty much recession proof. Probably even depression proof ... but a lot of business people I talk with are privately very concerned.

What blows my mind is the number of vacant commercial developments I see. Some of these places are a year or two old, and others are just being completed.

Brand new. And completely empty.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Do they expect you to work through your lunch, or are you doing it to stay caught up?

I used to do that after the department I worked in one time lost 2 people out of 3, and I was the 3rd. They had a hiring freeze at the same time, so really I had to work during my lunch, stay late, etc....

At raise time, we had to evaluate ourselves, and I mentioned my extra efforts, working at lunch, so forth. (this was a salaried position, so no overtime)

My supervisor looked me right in the eye and told me that was not a reason to expect a raise, because they never asked me to do that.

Figure new, faster ways to get your work done if you can, and brings suggestions to your superiors. A raise might be forthecoming if you can show them how efficient you can be, saving them money, but not for your extra effort.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   

That's incredibly illegal for her to do. Just saying! Knowing employees are working off the clock is a pretty serious offense. But yeah that's totally unfair, sorry you are in that situation.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I work at CVS/Pharmacy as a Shift Manager, Ive worked there 6 years. Shortly after they made a 3 Billion dollar purchase of Longs Drug Stores on the west coast, they sent out a company wide announcement that all store level raises will be capped at 2%, the highest you can get is a 5.9% before someone above the district manager has to approve it.

All employees who do not work in a store will not get a raise, that included district managers. Pharmacist's were not included and would continue to receive there annual raises. Just take a moment and realize the difference between 2% and 5.9%.

A cashier making 8 dollars an hour working 30 hours a week.

For 1 year of loyal service they receive 47 cent increase a hour under the old 5.9% policy.

Now, they receive 16 cents. at the 2% policy. 16 cents for loyally working 1560 hours.

16cent increase = 240/year extra

47cent increase = 733/year extra

almost 500 dollars a year. 500 dollars taken from every person at store level. And keep in mind, thats only for the individuals working at 8 dollars an hour.

They did it again this year as well. So for 2 years now, they've capped our raises at 2 percent. And the district manager told us to be thankful we got that.

All the while, Mr. Tom Ryan CEO receives a 3.5 Million dollar bonus.

END

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I just found out today that 6 of the full time positions at my job will be split into part time. I guess they will save money on pensions, benifits and vacation leave. I think this is extreamly unfair for people who would like to eventually be able to retire, and also for the people who will have to travel more (and have less time with their families) because they will have to work 2 jobs to make up for the lost income. The full time jobs that are available are a joke, you can't expect to get one until you are 40 (my job goes by senority).

I believe we are being pushed to the point that eventuallly retirement will be non-existant, except for the few who can afford it.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

It is expected of me. My manager commented to her boss that we were working through lunch and got a chewing so that was her solution. Clock out and keep working, but that way, no one knows.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Well, that is really rotten. She should be chipping in to help you, so you can at least digest a sandwhich!

Better than that, she ought to be buying your lunch for you that you have to eat at your desk!

The company isn't compensating your for your time, and I hope your supervisor knows what kinda trouble she will be in if she is caught making you do that.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I agree we are all living in a very hard time. After not having a job for a year and a half I have finally landed a stable job. But, they do over work us. There are seven people in my office, and eachone of us is cross trained so that we can all do three jobs during a one day period for 9.50 an hour, I have been there for almost two and a half months and one of the benifets to work there was health dental and vision... well they cut that off two weeks ago... so lets see how my 90 day probational period ends..hopefully with a raise like they said they would, cuz they already took away the insurance that made me want the position... We must all stay strong, be thankful we do have jobs. Like everything else, this too shall pass.....stay strong together we stand and divided we fall....

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
nice post, op. this is a real and studied phenomenon.

as if they weren't already, everyone should be hugely concerned with unemployment as it is and has been for two years now.

when 10% of the workforce (and it is probably quite a bit higher that - how do you now define workforce, anyhow, especially when so many have given up?) is out of work, employers, themselves suffering a dismal economy, have a lot less incentive to fight for employees with attractive incentive packages (if any at all) and nice benefits. they save money by severely dropping employee costs, by getting rid of people and benefits.

the longer it goes, the less attention and money that is spent on employees as working human beings.

many typical, mid-level openings in big cities receive, literally, thousands of resumes for one vacancy. companies don't have to offer anything if they don't want (and we all know the already-existing issues with employer-supported health insurance costs) - people are desperate for income.

the problem is, over time, this results in systemic reduction in employee pay, holiday/vacation, health, dental, eye care benefits, even spending plans, credit unions, discount programs, etc. - and it quickly becomes basic employee treatment and sociological diminishment of the respect for a worker. ... and the working class. a brick in the wall of societal breakdown.

[edit on Jul 11, 2010 by Hadrian]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I can understand the title of this thread!
But at the same time it can make a human angry.
It just rubs the wrong way.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I totally agree with you, unfortunately for the time being unless all of us that are awake make the stand we will stay this way until the Revolution occurs. We have to work together for a means to a solution against the overhead scoundrels that control us. Use your head and fight the battles you can win. For now communicate wake up others from their slumber in order to recruit more.
We will look as if crazy to most but to the 1% we reach that is a start. Change begins in us.

"The Greatest Evil is the indifference of a Good Man!"
Boondock Saints

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Most of the times I am against unions. However, sometimes they are absolutely necessary to secure your way of life. Nobody wants to be jobless in a broken economy. Nobody deserves to be treated like dirt just because they see the fear in your eyes that if you lost your job your world would come to a standstill. I say if they want to flex their almighty paycheck writing finger in your face, flex a little something back at them. After all, it's a free country (assuming you are in America). Organize and unionize, and maybe they will stop being such tricks in the future. I would even go so far as to tell them I am pursuing unionization because you obviously do not respect my will to put food on the table, keep a roof over my head, and threaten me with poverty every time I come to work.

Then when you get the union passed. Leave the company lol.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join