It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uganda bombings kill 30 watching World Cup

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Uganda bombings kill 30 watching World Cup

www.msnbc.msn.com

One of the bombs went off at an Ethiopian restaurant in Kampala, Uganda's capital. Al-Shabab views Ethiopia as an enemy. The second blast went off at a restaurant called the Kyadondo Rugby Club.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I just don't understand....why bomb innocent people watching a ball game?

Someone, local authorities suspect a somalian group called al-Shabab, may be behind the bombings, having made statements such as "Uganda is one of our enemies. Whatever makes them cry, makes us happy. May Allah's anger be upon those who are against us"

I just don't understand.

X

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
First it was those people in that shariah law controlled country (forget the name) who got killed now this.

Let that be a lesson to you.

Under No circumstances should anyone watch the world cup or any soccer game. Ever.

Watch American Football instead. No one was ever killed watching that.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
The same reason terrorist kill innocent civilians.... Religious preference and siding with the Westerners. Stuff like that has been going on in Africa since the beginning of time. Nothing really new. Look into Edi Amin and what that physco did back in the day in Uganda. (sorry for spelling)

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcouncil=wisdom

You can't expect that place to not have violence, how can you when the Somalians are suffering in daily bases due to Western interference.

Ethiopia is part of the Western empire doing Western biding in Africa, including other nations.

The West installed a Somalian government against the people's wishes and now the people are fighting that government.

There was no support for that government, militarily, nor publically, therefore Western empire came to help its puppet.

Unless Africans destroy ignorance, and fight for their freedom, there will be no justice in that place.

There will always be violence, and there will always be little kids dying and suffering from the lack of food, while other Western territories die from fatness.

They are being stripped of their resources, why do you suppose Nigeria is fighting?

Nigeria has a huge oil reserve, yet their people are starving.

In order for you to understand this bombing, you have to understand what has/is happened/happening in Africa.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleSecret

"The West installed a Somalian government against the people's wishes and now the people are fighting that government. "

I can freely admit I am very poorly informed as to the conditions in that region...however, the problem I think I am most befudled by is these attacks were civilian targets...contrary to the comment you have posted...I don't think any government or official buildings were associated with these pubs that were bombed.

I would understand when fighting the government or an opposing army attacking your enemies infrastructure...but targeting locals eating and drinking watching a game...thats...thats....well that leaves me for a loss of words.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   

You can't expect that place to not have violence, how can you when the Somalians are suffering in daily bases due to Western interference.

Western interference?

Al-Shabab, a hard-line Islamic militia that is waging a campaign of terror across Somalia, has banned playing soccer in many areas it controls. The al-Qaeda-linked militia, along with Hezb-i-Islam, a rival extremist group, prohibited broadcasts of the World Cup, describing the sport as "a satanic act" that corrupts Muslims.

The militants have brutally targeted politicians, clerics and peacekeepers -- anyone who has challenged their extreme views. But in the past month, they have killed at least five people and arrested scores more for watching the World Cup. They have detained and tortured local soccer club owners on charges of misguiding youth.

www.washingtonpost.com...

Soccer is a satanic act that corrupts muslims.
Uh-huh.

The rest of the world joined in the World Cup while these idiots murdered innocents.:shk:

Western interference indeed.

[edit on 11-7-2010 by mishigas]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
and this is the reason alota people think Muslims are all terrorists its a perfect example of one group ruining it for the rest of the people who share there beliefs wonder if theres gonna be any more cartoons about this situation that puts a plug up there extremist butts

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
than you mishigas

Now....that's makes perfect sense then...Soccer is against islam, so therefore anyone watching soccer is against islam, therefore a legitimate target.
Thanks for clearing that up...I assume its only this particular group of extreemists who don't play ball? -- right muslims in general aren't really anti soccer...are they? I mean misconceptions on religion are easy...I'd hate to be quilty of being totally ignorant, can someone tell me islams general view on soccer?

The body count on the linked article has been changed to 64.

And, I just saw this reported on CNN...I turned there just to see what was top news stories, and that was what they were talking about at that very moment...nice timing. On CNN they reported 6 americans were killed, so I guess that might make it a bigger to deal over hear, and probably a larger success story for the al-Shabab.

edit to add, the linked article, that keeps getting updated and changing, says there six americans in the blast, and that three were wounded....just wanted to clear that up

[edit on 11-7-2010 by Xcouncil=wisdom]

[edit on 11-7-2010 by Xcouncil=wisdom]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
3 Bombs exploded at two sites in Uganda's capital late Sunday as people watched the World Cup final on TV,

killing at least 64 people 65 wounded. Foreigners, including Europeans and Americans, were believed to be

among the casualties. Police Chief Kale Kaihura said he believed that Somalia's most feared militia al-Shabab,

which has pledged loyalty to al-Qaida could be behind the attacks. One of the bombs went off at an Ethiopian

restaurant in Kampala, Uganda's capital. Al-Shabab views Ethiopia as an enemy. The second blast went off at a

restaurant called the Kyadondo Rugby Club.a senior police official at the scene said that 64 people had been

killed, 49 from the rugby club and 15 at the Ethiopian restaurant. The official said he could not be identified.In

Mogadishu, Sheik Yusuf Sheik Issa, an al-Shabab commander, told The Associated Press early Monday that he

was happy with the attacks in Uganda. Issa refused to confirm or deny that al-Shabab was responsible for the

bombings. "Uganda is one of our enemies. Whatever makes them cry, makes us happy. May Allah's anger be

upon those who are against us," Sheik said. During prayers on Friday, another al-Shabab commander, Sheik

Muktar Robow, had called for militants to attack sites in Uganda and Burundi two nations that contribute troops to

the African Union force in Mogadishu. The Inspector General of Ugandan police Kale Kayihura linked the

explosions to recent threats by Somalia's Al-Qaeda-inspired Shebab militia against countries that have sent

troops to the African Union (AU) peace force there. Another blast was reported to have gone off in Ntinda, another

Kampala suburb, as more than 100 were reported admitted in hospitals and clinics in the capital including the

national referral hospital.

pieces of the story i have gathered so far...

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcouncil=wisdom

My point still stands, I'm against such attacks targeting civilians and only civilians, but hey, if the US can justify 2 atomic bombs dropped in two cities filled with civilians than surely Somalians who have been at war with Western empire can justify these killings.

Just because Al-Shababa, or what ever they are named is happy in regards to these attacks, doesn't mean they are behind it.

Al-Shabab is well aware that the killing of civilians, innocence is against Islam, they are hardcore Islam believers.

In regards to their hate for soccer:

They have a right to hate soccer, while Somalia/Mogadishu is in a state of chaos, people are brainwashed in to doing nothing to stop the conflict, and to save the country, instead sitting in front of TV, doing nothing.

There is something called priority, in a state of chaos you don't sit in front of TV and forget about reality, that is what brainwashing is called.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

No body have been killed for watching soccer, that is propaganda already exposed.

Last thread in regards to two people being killed for watching soccer ended up as being bogus.

Don't spread dis-info.

Soccer is banned, but once again, in a state filled with chaos what do you expect? Do you want people to sit in front of TV waste time watching soccer instead of bringing peace and justice to their land? Brainwashing mate..

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by LittleSecret

No body have been killed for watching soccer, that is propaganda already exposed.

Last thread in regards to two people being killed for watching soccer ended up as being bogus.

Don't spread dis-info.

Soccer is banned, but once again, in a state filled with chaos what do you expect? Do you want people to sit in front of TV waste time watching soccer instead of bringing peace and justice to their land? Brainwashing mate..

You might want to look up the Hillsborough disaster.

People have died watching Football...

but anyway this is shocking, how any religious faction can celebrate killing innocent people is beyond me

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   
ignore the last message - I thought you said

"No body have been killed watching football"

not

"No body have been killed for watching football"

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Don't spread dis-info.

You're sick, comparing this with WWII. And you ask, what do we expect? We expect that the islamo-fascists discontinue their terrorism and stop trying to force their will and the words of a book on other people. If someone wants to "sit in front of TV waste time watching soccer instead of bringing peace and justice to their land", that's their own business.

The murdering isn't exactly bringing peace and justice to anyone, now is it??? Those a-holes want the young men to join them instead of playing soccer.

Religion of peace.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   

You said -
"Just because Al-Shababa, or what ever they are named is happy in regards to these attacks, doesn't mean they are behind it. "
"Al-Shabab is well aware that the killing of civilians, innocence is against Islam, they are hardcore Islam believers. "

Uh, they have now claimed responsibility..."An al-Qaida-linked Somali militant group claimed responsibility Monday for twin bombings in Uganda that killed 74 people watching the World Cup final on TV, saying the militants would carry out attacks "against our enemy" wherever they are. "
www.msnbc.msn.com...

You also said -
"In regards to their hate for soccer:

They have a right to hate soccer, while Somalia/Mogadishu is in a state of chaos, people are brainwashed in to doing nothing to stop the conflict, and to save the country, instead sitting in front of TV, doing nothing.

There is something called priority, in a state of chaos you don't sit in front of TV and forget about reality, that is what brainwashing is called. "

I am reposting this link for you.. www.washingtonpost.com... where I read that the militants are abducting children off the street and forcing them to join the military...one kid says he was conscripted at 11!
in that article you'll find jems like
""If we keep the young generation for football, al-Shabab can't recruit them to fight," said Somali soccer federation head Abdulghani Sayeed, who stays at a heavily guarded hotel in the capital, Mogadishu. "This is really why al-Shabab fights with us."

Also another priceless jem "This is the last warning for you to take the path of Islam. If you don't, you have no choice but to die," the e-mail read. "Do you think the non-believer police can guarantee your security?"

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

Watch American Football instead. No one was ever killed watching that.

Indeed! Most deaths related to American Football were caused by boredom.

top topics

join