It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Narni (Narnia) - Journey to the Center of Italy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Narni (Narnia) - Journey to the Center of Italy

Although there is evidence of Neolithic remains in the area, the first historical document we know of is dated 600 b.c. where Nequinum is mentioned. In 299 we know the town as Narnia, a Roman colony. The name comes from the nearby Nar river, which is called the Nera today. Narni rose in importance with the construction of the Via Flaminia from Rome to Rimini. In the 12th and 14th century Narni became part of the Papal State and developed an important school of painting and goldsmiths.

Over 50 years ago C. S. Lewis invented a place called Narnia. This page presents a bit of speculation: It has been said that Lewis discovered the name (Narnia) in an atlas as a child, though he may also have come across mention of the city in his university studies.

By chance, the modern-day town of Narni (as it is now known) honors a local saint known as "Blessed Lucy of Narnia." Today the town's Cathedral of Narnia adjoins a shrine to this St. Lucy.

Article:
goeurope.about.com...

goeurope.about.com...

I found this rather interesting, as I used to read Narnia books when I was a kid. Have been posting a lot today, so this will probably be my last one, don't want to be accused of spamming or something lol.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I had to check your date of joining ATS, I thought you were a fervent newcomer

Very nice thread indeed. A neolithic village (can we call it a town?) finding its way into one of the most read pieces of literature? that sure is fascinating!

C.S. Lewis may have picked up the name while browsing through Atlases as a youth (if he was anything like his friend Tolkien, you can imagine him pouring over all sorts of books and maps as a child), it sounds "magical" enough! While Tolkien invented whole languages and derived his names from them, Lewis didn't do so, as far as I know (never read the Narnia Chronicles), so he may have used a name that sounded "magical" and Irish enough (he was Irish after all!).

It would be really cool if his inspiration for the name was that neolithic site!

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I used to love those books as a kid, kinda funny coincidence that the young girl is named Lucy

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Maegnas

Nah, I have been browsing the site for many years.

I enjoyed the magicians nephew, the "first" book, depending on what order you want to read them in (date released or just following the story).

I think that Lewis probably came across the name, I found some interesting things in relation to the harry potter books too that had interesting real history, only 1 or 2 things though (and I'm not sure of there accuracy).

Was interesting that there was a Lucy that was considered highly in this place, although its a common name, though I doubt Lewis would have known of a Lucy that lived in the area, unless he researched it.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
The thing with Harry Potter is that its author is very much alive, so if in doubt we can ask her!

Second line!

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by GoodLuckCharm

Ok so lions originally come from a boot?
Just saying.

top topics

join