It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Guards making 'astronomical profits' from sanctions: Opposition leader

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Iran Guards making 'astronomical profits' from sanctions: Opposition leader

rawstory.com

By Agence France-Presse
Sunday, July 11th, 2010 -- 10:55 am

TEHRAN -- Opposition leader Mehdi Karroubi has said Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards back sanctions against Tehran as they make "astronomical profits" from the punitive measures, a website said on Sunday.

"I believe that part of the Iranian rule as well as the Revolutionary Guards are in favour of sanctions as they make gigantic and astronomical profits from them," Karroubi was quoted as saying on opposition website Rahesabz.net.

The Guards regularly shrug off international sanctions imposed on Iran for its defiant nuc
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
en.wikipedia.org
www.middle-east-online.com
ca.news.yahoo.com
gulfnews.com

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
According to Iran's opposition leader Mehdi Karroubi the Iranian Revolution Guard welcomes sanctions as they are actually profiting from it and usually do when sanctions are in place against Iran.

This is interesting as there has been a lot of discussion lately about Iran and sanctions and their effectiveness. There always seems to be someone who actually profits from sanctions, and it usually is not the people of the nation under sanctions.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Just how do they profit from this? It never really said in the article.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo

back room deals
when something is banned or forbidden by one group,
you will always get the back room deals and so on going,

Look at Iraq for example

countries never learn

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by illusive man

Exactly right

There are always ways around the system on things like this. Money talks and speaks a lot louder than sanctions.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by illusive man

Originally posted by hippomchippo

back room deals

Look at Iraq for example

countries never learn

Yeah but those are inevitable, I really don't see how the opposition can say that, when if it was them in their place, they would almost certainly be doing the same thing.
Humans tend to be like that, it's sad.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Wayne60

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAAHHA

Seriously, how are they profiting?

So the blame for the unjustified sanctions is turned towards the Iranian government, I wonder which Western analyst gave them this idea lol.

First you have to prove the sanctions are justified, if it is not, the blame is on the West. Then once you prove that, you have to prove whether the RG is profiting from these sanctions. It is a process. Go ahead OP, send a email to the opposition see what they say lol.

Very creative, but without evidence it holds as much weight as two small nuts, held together by a sack.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   

back room deals

Look at Iraq for example

countries never learn

Evidence of back room deals?

Evidence of RG profiting from back room deals?

Are you suggesting the Back Room Deals are done by the RG?

Why would Revolutionary Guards hold back room deals?

Doesn't hold any weight, from speculation point of view/from fact point of view.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by LittleSecret

back room deals

Look at Iraq for example

countries never learn

Evidence of back room deals?

Evidence of RG profiting from back room deals?

Are you suggesting the Back Room Deals are done by the RG?

Why would Revolutionary Guards hold back room deals?

Doesn't hold any weight, from speculation point of view/from fact point of view.

But its from Irans opposition, you know it's true!

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleSecret

its mostly speculations from what happend in Iraq
with saddam and his people

they bribed officials and so on and made a killing,
hence why i wouldnt be shocked if it didnt happen in Iran.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
It's almost always the same old story. Sanctions are put into place in order to get a country's leaders attention, and the governments usually make out like bandits while the people do without. It happened in Cuba, and it happened in Iraq, and I'm sure the list could go on and on. So why would the IRG not be making money out of the sanctions? Everybody else seems to.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wayne60
It's almost always the same old story. Sanctions are put into place in order to get a country's leaders attention, and the governments usually make out like bandits while the people do without. It happened in Cuba, and it happened in Iraq, and I'm sure the list could go on and on. So why would the IRG not be making money out of the sanctions? Everybody else seems to.

It happens in every country.
The majority of nations leaders will rob their countries and peoples.
The difference between them and "civilized nations"?
They can hide it better.
But why do you think Iran only makes the news?

[edit on 11-7-2010 by hippomchippo]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
geez !!!

Is the CIA spreading propaganda again??

Anything to make a case against Iran huh ????
gotta have MANY reasons to bomb them !!!!

let's see all the Iran propaganda the CIA
has published just this week.

Stoning of woman who commuted adultery
Iran's procurement of 20kt of 20% enriched uranium
and now the RG getting rich off sanctions

don't they know by now that some of us
can see right through their BS ?????

it's propaganda to sway US public opinion
on an Iran attack.

come on guys
you gotta get a better script writer
the old one is slacking

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Just...weird. That would mean, if it were true, that someone is dealing with them. Wonder who the leading suspects would be. I'd really want to know exactly how and where the proof is. It hasn't even been that long, and in addition weren't most of their funds frozen as a result of the sanctions? Most of the funds of the guard in specific. I guess if they were dealing black market or back room or whatever, then they probably got some credit extended. But then again, what would they even be dealing IN or profiting from? I guess my vote goes with some back room troublestirrers.

[edit on 7/11/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by illusive man
reply to post by LittleSecret

its mostly speculations from what happend in Iraq
with saddam and his people

they bribed officials and so on and made a killing,
hence why i wouldnt be shocked if it didnt happen in Iran.

A million Iraqi children died in direct result of American sanctions in Iraq.

Iran is a whole different story.

Firstly, Iran has the world's 6th largest economy, they don't need to do back door dealings, and there is no evidence that the RG which gets funds from the government is corrupt.

Iran has many trading allies (and military allies), Iran has allies all across the world, there is only one empire which is against Iran hence the Western empire, and only they are enforcing the sanctions, and pursuing more sanctions against Iran.

Iran hasn't done anything wrong for the world to turn its back on it, unlike Iraq.

It is a complete different story, the unjustified sanctions imposed by the Western empire has failed, not because of back door dealings, but because companies find holes within the sanctions which they can use to still deal with Iran. And the fact that companies are not willing to comply, because they don't see Iran breaking any laws, or doing anything wrong.

Iran's economy has too much to offer to world wide companies, and they all want a steak.

How ever you spell stake, or steak, or pork, non of my concerns. Iraq, and Iran, not the same.

Like Ali G said, isn't Iraq and Iran the same? Wanna laugh lol
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Well yes i beleive it but they have got a bloody long way to go before they perfect the art and catch up with the american military complex that pulls stunts like 9/11 to get even more money.

We do seem to be getting a lot of dirty being thrown at Iran just now and no offence to the poster but it does show the lenghts these zionists will go to sow bad seeds.

Best one was about iran wanting to stone a woman to death which happens in Kuwait and saudi arabia but that never gets posted.

Talking about astronomical profit have you seen the parking charges outside the cancer treatment center in leeds ????????????????????

no i don't have cancer but you get my point.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

Contraband.

'' we can get it, but it will cost you ''

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
reply to post by hippomchippo

Contraband.

'' we can get it, but it will cost you ''

Exactly .

Sanctions create the conditions for black-markets , a resourceful bunch liker the Revolutionary guard cash in on it . So the Iranian elite can continue some semblance of the life they have become accustomed to, whilst the less well off bare the full brunt of the sanctions.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Sanctions are rarely the answer. Look at it this way:

Are they going to hurt the rich? Nope. The rich will always be rich.

Are they going to hurt the poor? Nope. The poor will still be poor.

How about the middle class? Yep, they are the ones hurt by the sanctions, and they are the people you want on your side.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by LittleSecret
reply to post by Wayne60

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAAHHA

Seriously, how are they profiting?

So the blame for the unjustified sanctions is turned towards the Iranian government, I wonder which Western analyst gave them this idea lol.

First you have to prove the sanctions are justified, if it is not, the blame is on the West. Then once you prove that,

Justified is bad terminology or just lacks detail.
Justified by who? The UN found it justified.... Justified by the wack jobs in IRAN ... probly not the leaders.

you have to prove whether the RG is profiting from these sanctions.

EPIC FAIL...at trying to be profound.It's simple.. Its like prohibition.. Black market .. mark ups of 400 to 500% Its a fact! Supply and demand.. Supply goes down= demand goes up.. Its high school economics.

It is a process. Go ahead OP, send a email to the opposition see what they say lol.

LOL all you want... process seems very simple.. But not in your world.. Must be sooooo deeeep!! LMFAO

Very creative, but without evidence it holds as much weight as two small nuts, held together by a sack.

How bad did you want to say that? You were going to crow bar that into a discussion no matter what!

I wonder if I looked at your previous posts through out the forums.. I wonder how many times you have used that exact same phrase.

without evidence it holds as much weight as two small nuts, held together by a sack.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join