It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Wallpaper- Need Your Help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
i was looking for some wallpapers when encountered this one

See photo here

now the strange thing in qestion is this one :

what is it?

can we find the original image ...

is it a part of Mars?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f08657126222.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Seems to me to be in line with the rest of the color of Mars.

Other than it being in the white area, I see nothing remotely odd.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
The beautiful image of Mars during springtime was taken by Hubble in 1995.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d3d2f1ac7e24.jpg[/atsimg]

The dark spot in the cropped photo in the OP is the impressive volcano Ascraeus Mons:

Because it is spring in Mars' northern hemisphere, much of the carbon dioxide frost around the permanent water-ice cap has sublimated, and the cap has receded to its core of solid water-ice several hundred miles across. The abundance of wispy white clouds indicates that the atmosphere is cooler than seen by visiting space probes in the 1970s. Morning clouds appear along the planet's western (left) limb. These form overnight when Martian temperatures plunge and water in the atmosphere freezes out to form ice-crystal clouds.

Towering 16 miles (25 km) above the surrounding plains, volcano Ascraeus Mons pokes above the cloud deck near the western or limb. This extinct volcano, measuring 250 miles (402 km) across, was discovered in the early 1970s by Mariner 9 spacecraft. Other key geologic features include (lower left) the Valles Marineris, an immense rift valley the length of the continental United States. Near the center of the disk lies the Chryse basin made up of cratered and chaotic terrain. The oval-looking Argyre impact basin (bottom), appears white due to clouds or frost.

hubblesite.org...

join