It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prove you're not a slave. Quit.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Rather than "quitting" work altogether, people should just move towards working for themselves to the degree possible. Thats a way out of the "system" that is more realistic. And, I think it would build stronger communities too, but it would take a while.

The easiest thing we could "quit" that would make a significant difference in our culture would be to quit TV. Just everyone cancel your cable. Rent movies or play video games, but unplug from the propaganda and consumerist machine.

Thats what people are truly slaves to, however. Even though you can use the "I need to feed my family" excuse, no one will do it. But if a large number of us did, it would scare them more than all the petitions and email and marches on Washington ever conceived.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Personally I think there is a lot more to 'freedom', or not being a slave, than just not working for the man.

Freedom starts with us, the way we treat each other, the way we are intolerant to each other, the way we bully those that dare to be themselves.

Yep it's all about being yourself, your true self, not the self you have developed in order to fit in, but the real you that lies underneath all the fear and confusion, false values and outright lies, the alienation and delusions.

We become fakes, slaves to each others intolerance, in order to 'fit in'. The state system perpetuates our fears in order to control and manipulate us.

When people are no longer really themselves and as a society people all think the same basic way, we look for other ways to be different and express ourselves. The system we all grow up in provides a way, a bigger car, a bigger house, whatever, consume in order to fill that missing hole. You don't know any different.
This means you have to work for more than necessary for what you need, just to fill the need to be yourself (a zero sum deal?). You are a slave because you cannot see that your intolerance feeds the machine that enslaves us all, not only slaves in work but slaves in thought.

And this benefits who, does anyone ever wonder?

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Why don't I prove I am not a slave by not quitting?

I am not a slave to your little mind game.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
i think it has way more to do with materialism in general than just being employed - although self-sufficiency is something we all could work toward.

if we did, they wouldn't be so motivated to grab us by the balls when we don't conform to the norm.

but it's hard to give up what one already has. sometimes, you lose everything in one fell swoop and if you don't bounce right back up, you learn what it's like NOT to have all the things you thought you could not do without.

you learn that life is the same whether you are rich or poor (i've been both) and if you are rooted within yourself rather that in something beyond self, in the world you can never be in control of, then at least you'll never lose the ability to cope with whatever comes along.

after you spend a year or two dreaming of cookies because you're so darn hungry...you begin to see the world more like Ghandi and less like the Pope.

it is the material aspect of life that divides us and makes us think we are independent agents but in truth, and there's no escaping it by any route even religion, we are all one species...one race...one collective soul.

human beings are human beings
stuff is stuff

having enough stuff is never the answer to insecurity - in fact, the more you have, the more you fear losing it and the more you fear not being able to maintain it.

two favorite buddhist proverbs:

if you do not care for each other, who will care for you?

when wishes are few, the heart is happy. when desire ends, there is peace.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
actually working isn't the slavery.. what you should do is work for someone that will pay you in silver or gold or other commodities .. barter your work with your employer ..

Choosing to trade your labor for something in return isn't slavery.. what is slavery is how the fiat money system robs you through devaluing your labor.. you labor for the dollars and as you hold those dollars they loose value... if you have any money your saving trade it in for a commodity that hedges inflation.. like silver gold.. non perishable foods etc..

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Freedom, true freedom, or a lack of it, it's a big issue.

The word you used, "slave", it's a good strong inflamatory word people emotionaly respond to. I do the same thing when I refer to "our masters" in many of my posts, and sometimes people don't see that it is more about trying to get people to think. It's not about giving up. Of course, I get the occasional irritated person who may say something like, "I'm no slave!" But that just means that it works!

Anyway, S & F for you since it looks like people are thinking about it. Some even seem to be looking past the obvious material aspects, which is good, but maybe not as practical for the average person.

Sure, we might all know deep down that the less we "need", the better. Certainly, no one should argue when it comes to the obvious cases, like drugs or alcohol. But I'm guessing that most people who click on your thread are not going to want to hear about Buddha or Ghandi.

So, focusing on the practical, instead of just the spiritual, maybe we can start by looking at the individual, and move out from there. We might end up with a "spectrum" of less "freedom", to more.

At one end of the spectrum, maybe let's put the poor drug addict. Now there's a person who can be given the world, materialistically speaking, but we might even imagine things getting even worse if that should ever happen!

Moving up, maybe we could think of the very poor person, who depends on the State for immediate needs, shelter, food, etc.

Then, there might be the ones I think you were aiming for. Yeah, the ones with a job, who feel real "free", until the boss shows them the door! And then their whole world can crumble, real fast.

Someone mentioned self-employment, being an entrepreneur. I like that, I am one myself, but not everyone can do it. Why? Mainly because our whole society seems to gear the average person to a "job". Education system, the way Mom and Pop raised you, etc., not everyone comes from a family of self-determining go-getters.

Moving up another notch, past the self-employed (who have the benefit of not having to worry about a boss firing them), might be someone with lots of pans in the fire. Yeah, a rare bird, but this one has some advantages the merely self-empolyed doesn't have. For example, if a whole industry went down, then having a boss or not, wouldn't even matter. Always a good idea to be diversified.

But then, the ECONOMY! This one hoses just about everyone, except the truly filthy rich, but we won't go there, what would be the point?

OK, so I want to be practical here...what about the economy? We're HERE! Sure, not having a drug habit is good, not depending upon the state is better, and not worrying about a boss is pretty nice. But this economy can take a lot of smart, hardworking, responsible people, and dump them in the trash anyway.

What to do? I'll step back now and let others say their piece. I just thought that this terrible economy might put things in a new perspective.

Great thread OP!

JR

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
This thread is correct, we are mostly all slaves.

Slaves to the government, slaves to corporations.

We are born into debt, and foot a bill that can never get paid.

Many people work for just enough money to pay their bills, then they are broke again and the process repeats itself.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
Rather than "quitting" work altogether, people should just move towards working for themselves to the degree possible. Thats a way out of the "system" that is more realistic. And, I think it would build stronger communities too, but it would take a while.

Yeh. . .I'm dreaming, and working toward, doing this very thing. I've been on my job for 23 years; working in various departments. Recently, things have taken a turn for the worse at work. Because of downsizing, attrition and them having a hiring freeze, unreasonable duties are going to be placed on me that I did not sign up for when I came to work there! Now I appreciate that I "have" a job, for now, because I don't know any other way to pay all my "bills - I'll get back to this in a bit" without working full time. I live check to check; I do not go shopping for myself; I'm a widow and support myself and two daughters. I pay rent and a car note, and yes, I do have cable, cell phone, DSL, yada yada yada.

I make jewelry and and starting a new venture with a friend to sell the jewelry at craft shows and conventions. Several years ago, I rented a table at a womens convention and made $500 in one day. I even had a couple of people tell me my prices were too low.

Now, I do plan to downsize. I want to get out of the car I'm currently driving; dump the car note and get a little pre-owned VW. But I still have to pay rent. The cost of living, especially in a decent neighborhood is pretty high, then there's health insurance.

I'm moving on in age and even if I knew where to go, I couldn't build a log cabin in the mountains. But I would LOVE to live off the land. I think of how healthy we would be (in lala land - but I know some people do live this way) if we grew our own organic foods, for so many reasons.

I think of this every day; several times a day. It's not that I want to "quit" or am lazy, I just want to freakin' live my life the way I want to, you know, below the radar. And what am I teaching my kids??? It's so confusing, within myself! Part of me wants to encourage them to do the college, career, nice house thing; but the other part of me wants to warn them. Actually what kind of life would they have if they didn't get that college degree or run some type of successful business, which generally takes a good education.

For some of you people that are saying that you have "quit" how are you paying your electric bill?

I know this sounds crazy to some of you, then then for the other of you, you know what I mean.

End of rant.

Peace and love to all

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by lel1111

I'm moving on in age and even if I knew where to go, I couldn't build a log cabin in the mountains. But I would LOVE to live off the land. I think of how healthy we would be (in lala land - but I know some people do live this way) if we grew our own organic foods, for so many reasons.

I have often thought that it would be wonderful to start a cooperative community without all the "hippie" vibe. Not that "hippies" would be excluded, of course, but some of the hippie folk are kinda Nazi-ish in their own way, and very rigid about how things should be. I would prefer a much more relaxed and accepting community where accountants and potters could live side by side without one being seen as a bad guy by the other.

Since that is a pie in the sky kind of wish, instead, I try to make whatever neighborhood I live in a little more like my ideal. I have a vegetable garden, and I plant extra to give away. I make a point of helping my neighbors with their yards, or helping them haul things, (I drive a truck) and you know? it usually begins to affect the way the whole neighborhood acts in short order. I think people have lost the knack for helping, and socializing, but not the desire to, or the need for community.

I guess my point is, just plant a little garden. (Geography permitting) Or even some potted veggies and herbs if all you have is a balcony. It wont make you utterly independent of the food store, but you FEEL so much better with every inch you take in the direction you really want to go. It doesnt have to be all or nothing. Not all of us can "live off the land" and really, humans are not meant to be self sufficient. We are meant to work in groups and cooperate. And even when I stayed in an apartment for a while, you would be surprised how much some people appreciate fresh picked basil if thats all you have to share.

You can get more of that community "village" feel no matter where you are by starting the ball rolling yourself. Not everyone will be up to participation, but you will probably find a nice little clump of people who will.

Good luck with your jewelry business! I hope you get the opportunity to make your passion your job full time.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by XsameXoneXotherX
You only become initiated as a slave when you have children.

I'm no slave. I do what I want in life.

Then you are a slave to your own selfish desires. Stop deluding yourself.

Second

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
I would prefer a much more relaxed and accepting community where accountants and potters could live side by side without one being seen as a bad guy by the other.

Since that is a pie in the sky kind of wish, instead, I try to make whatever neighborhood I live in a little more like my ideal.
I have a vegetable garden, and I plant extra to give away.

I guess my point is, just plant a little garden. (Geography permitting) Or even some potted veggies and herbs if all you have is a balcony. It wont make you utterly independent of the food store, but you FEEL so much better with every inch you take in the direction you really want to go. It doesnt have to be all or nothing. Not all of us can "live off the land" and really, humans are not meant to be self sufficient. We are meant to work in groups and cooperate. And even when I stayed in an apartment for a while, you would be surprised how much some people appreciate fresh picked basil if thats all you have to share.

Good luck with your jewelry business! I hope you get the opportunity to make your passion your job full time.

Hey, I really, really love your post!! I guess if I can grow house plants (no direct sunlighted window though) I can grow some type of herbs. Thanks

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Hmm I'd rather have a job and live in a house then be 'free' and live on the street.

I think quitting your job for no reason other to 'prove' to you we are 'free' is quite possibly the worst advice I've heard anyone give.

Cheers!

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by xstealth
This thread is correct, we are mostly all slaves.

Slaves to the government, slaves to corporations.

We are born into debt, and foot a bill that can never get paid.

Many people work for just enough money to pay their bills, then they are broke again and the process repeats itself.

Slavery is about a lack of choice, and whether you live off the land or work for the man if you have no choices then you are a slave. I on the other hand do work, but I could pack up tomorrow and move to South America and not work another day in my life. I also have no debt that I didn't choose to have, and even then it is just two things, a 63 month zero interest car loan and a 30 year 4.5 fix rate house loan, but I could pay off both within a year if I wanted to. I have unlimited number of choices, so I am free as free can be.

How did I get this way one may ask.. Well I’m 50 so I have been able to build and grow the last 30 years and in a way pay for my freedom, or in my words, give me many choices. The problem I see is many fall into three categories, one is the young who want what I got at 50, and I say if you can get it great, but if not stop bitching and work to get it. Don’t wish for a end of times reroll just because you want everyone to be like you. The next is the person who does crap all their life and so ends up with zero choices living a miserable life…sorry, but you had one choice and it is the hell you live in… The third is what I call just a case of bad luck and that can be fixed if you do as I did…time heals all, but some people just get dealt a crappy hand and good or bad you got to play it.

[edit on 11-7-2010 by Xtrozero]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Or perhaps, I wanna be a slave? Hmmm?

I work @ 40 hrs a week. The rest of that time is mine to do with as I please. Seems a small price to pay for the necessities of life such as food, roof, things like that...

Define slavery...

I think there are some kids in various parts of the world who just might argue your definition of slavery...

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
For example:

Some people who might argue your definition of slavery...

It's an older article, but still, unfortunately, very relevant.

Slavery

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by president

Or balls up walk straight up to your "boss" and say, "I quit." just like that.

Ok... I did it!

Soooo, can I borrow $500 for this month's rent?

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

"Slavery is about a lack of choice...

I have unlimited number of choices, so I am free as free can be.

The problem I see is many fall into three categories, one is the young who want what I got at 50, and I say if you can get it great, but if not stop bitching and work to get it. Don’t wish for a end of times reroll just because you want everyone to be like you. The next is the person who does crap all their life and so ends up with zero choices living a miserable life…sorry, but you had one choice and it is the hell you live in… The third is what I call just a case of bad luck and that can be fixed if you do as I did…time heals all, but some people just get dealt a crappy hand and good or bad you got to play it."

-------------------------------------------------------

You got some good insights on the choice part of it. I also like that you recognize the old "bad luck" factor, that does screw some people pretty badly, especially when thinking about health, accidents, etc.

I do hope that you don't get too many Gen X, Gen Y folks that miss your points. Once you ID yourself as a Boomer, it seems that a whole lot of folks are ready to read you the Riot Act. It is generally held that Boomers have enjoyed a disproportionate amount of opportunity, in comparison to younger generations.

But you're right about those who want it all, and don't see that the generation ahead of them paid their dues, and often made sacrifices to get there, and if that's the source of their bitching, then they just need to grow up.

But then, there is something to the argument that Boomers have had some great opportunity, that is no longer available. And while not all Boomers did good with what they had, many did, and that, with a bit of luck, we would think many "should" retire fairly well.

But then, the economy melted down! You seem to feel a rare sense of security, but I seldom hear that with all that is going on. Of course, in my business, selling precious metals, I often am dealing with a very conservative element, who refuse to "trust" the stock market, or even the government and their worthless paper anymore.

I wonder what advantages the younger generation has that the Boomers did not have? Certainly, the internet was a late-comer, and it's power is something I would have loved to have all those years ago. But many have taken good advantage of it.

Well, I wish I had more optimism concerning the global economy, but I don't. I do see that my children have a tough row to hoe with this economy, but not necessarily due to the lack of quality jobs, it seems to go beyond that. It's almost as if there is so little "hope" today, in general.

I remember a nation that was literally on the MOON with pride, with nothing but hope ahead. We had made it to the Moon, the stars lay ahead. And then the Wall fell, peace seemed to be breaking out. Yeah, there were some decades of hope there, for sure.

But today, no one seems to be terribly optimistic anymore. The general consensus among the younger generations does seem pretty "negative", if I read them right. Sadly, with all that's gone on, I find myself mostly in agreement. I don't see better times ahead either...Maybe we should all be looking into South America too!

JR

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

guess I'll have to ride bareback
til I can make or trade for a saddle

Start with a surcingle (A belt for the horse that goes behind their shoulders and front legs. Make web stirrups out of loops of webbing.

Making a serviceable saddle can be done with a bit of dedication and forethought. The three part Al Stholman books are a start.
Making a saddle that someone would want to pay for takes a decade or so of practice.
Making a saddle tree is the hard part

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Well, if we say took the whole monetary system out of the equation completely, you and I or anybody else would still have to work to provide to our families whether that meant building shelter, milking cows, feeding chickens, cleaning pigpens, growing vegetation, whatever even if we were on a barter system we'd still have to work to live. That's been the same since day 1, in the beginning it was hunting, tracking, gathering, basically walking a lot of damn miles to get to your next meal, that was work, was it not? Even if you're totally self reliant you'd have to perform all the tasks of building the shelter, growing crops and raising animals for food. This current system just is the worse one. I think honestly the native americans way of life was the most balanced and the best. IMO.

[edit on 12-7-2010 by ldyserenity]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Proving you are a slave doesn't make everyone else a slave. You chose your bondage, and that choice was in refusing to see any other options than working as an employee or not working at all. Your slavery lies in refusal to take the necessary risks to be self employed. Your slavery lies in insistence that the best you can do for your family is function as a slave. This is your choice, and ironically, you are free to make that choice.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join