It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus's Return ...what do you think ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I have studied Revelations for several years and i am a Christian and now i am going to do what most "Religous" people Can't Do. I am going to put my Bias aside.

I want to know what people think about Jesus's Return, I am not Easily Offended, I am hoping for a good clash. My Personal Beliefs are that he is going to come back and Take the christians away, though I prefer he doesn't and leave us here to witness the governments mentioned in the Book. What do you think ?

Austin

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Not in your life time, jesus is and always be one of the hoax that christianity made for his followers.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Not in your life time, jesus is and always be one of the hoax that christianity made for his followers.

Well that may be your opinion but Christianity didn't make Jesus, Jesus made Christianity.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Well you have to go back and research into the beginings of christianity and see how they fit jesus in the right spot at the right time. He was the frosting on the cake.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Well you have to go back and research into the beginings of christianity and see how they fit jesus in the right spot at the right time. He was the frosting on the cake.

I think your argument could be argued effectively regarding the Roman Catholic Church and the involvement of Constantine in it�s formation but the same cannot be said for Christianity. I argued against the Catholic Church in this Thread entitled �Power and the Catholic Religion�. However I�m open to your interpretation and would like to see your proof, please post your findings.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Yes, I know is just that I have done so much research into religion as a favorite past time, and I have added information to other post and threads that I hate to repeat myself. Ancient history and religious history is one of my passions I think they are amazing.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 07:30 PM
link   
So you won�t post your findings? I share your love of history and the study of biblical text and I find it frustrating when someone says the Christian religion is a fallacy because of their hardened proof and then ducks out and refuses to backup his claims. It�s easy to say the bible is �full of it� if you don�t need to backup your claims. Sigh��

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   
By the Christ is understood the Jesus of the New Testament. The Jesus of the New Testament is a supernatural being. He is, like the Christ, a myth. Originally the world "Christ" the Greek for the Jewish"Messiah" (the anointed), meant the office of title of a person, while Jesus was the name of the person on whom his followers had bestowed this title.

Gradually the title "Christ" became interchangeable terms-synonyms. Such they are to the Christian world, and such by the law of common usage, they are to the secular world.

That a man named Jesus, an obscure, religious teacher, the basis of this fabulous Christ, lived in Palestine about 2,000 years ago, may be true. But of this man we kmow nothing.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
marg6043,

You could have just posted the atheist website where you copied your post. This is a site attempting to further their [non] beliefs by discounting the bible. You can reference the site but don�t copy it and pass it off as your own. Link below.

Positive Atheism

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   
And for Jesus second coming let see.

The events recorded in the New Testament following the Death of Jesus would suggest that the disciples did not expect anything more from their master. He had been nailed to a cross and with him were killed all the messianic hopes. Luke makes this very clear and in Chapter 24 of his Gospel, we read the account of two of his disciples returning in disappointment to their home in Emmaus (Luke24:13)

The reason for the disciples feeling of disappointment was that they had belived Jesus to be the long-awaited Jewish Messiah as seen in Luke 24:21. But they could see that Jesus had died without accomplishingwhat a Messiah was predicted to do.

Therefore any person, who, at some future date, establishes a Messaianic era will be seen to be the true Messiah, but presumably Christians will argue that such a person could only be Jesus who has returned. However, if Messianic expectations are only to be fulfilled by a second coming, what was the point of a first coming? Both John's Gospel and Paul's epistles present Jesus as a pagan deity, who as Matthew and Luke enlighten us was born of a virgin, just as were Adonis, son of the virgin Myrha, and Hermes, son of the virgin Maia. He was a member of a holy trinity as were Mithra and Osiris, Hermes Tris-Mgistus (the thrice-mighty Hermes).

The Messiah of Israel, prophecies such as Isaiah 2 and Ezkiel 38 should have been fulfilled. Jesus himself spoke about his second coming, but nowhere in the Gospels did he tell his disciples about a return from heaven some thousands of years later.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I am not an atheist, I just do not believe in the christian myth.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 08:59 PM
link   

The events recorded in the New Testament following the Death of Jesus would suggest that the disciples did not expect anything more from their master. Luke makes this very clear and in Chapter 24 of his Gospel, we read the account of two of his disciples returning in disappointment to their home in Emmaus (Luke24:13)

Luke 24:13 only speaks of a journey back to a village called Emmaus.

Luke 24:13

On the Road to Emmaus

Now that same day two of them were going to a village called Emmaus, about seven miles[1] from Jerusalem.

The reason for the disciples feeling of disappointment was that they had belived Jesus to be the long-awaited Jewish Messiah as seen in Luke 24:21. But they could see that Jesus had died without accomplishingwhat a Messiah was predicted to do.

Yes Luke 24:21 speaks of their disappointment before the lord allowed himself to be seen on their journey to Emmaus.

Luke 24:21

but we had hoped that he was the one who was going to redeem Israel. And what is more, it is the third day since all this took place.

But you must read further to understand the text. That�s the problem common with people that attempt to disprove the bible; they take out verses and ignore the chapter thereby perverting the words. Let�s look at the next chapter when Jesus explains his promise to the deciples.

bible.gospelcom.net..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow"> Luke 24:44-49

Jesus Appears to the Disciples

He said to them, "This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms." Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures. He told them, "This is what is written: The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, and repentance and forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. You are witnesses of these things. I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high."

However, if Messianic expectations are only to be fulfilled by a second coming, what was the point of a first coming?

To pay for the sins of his children by dieing on the cross. And to create another covenant with humanity.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   
although not a christian, I don't discount the possibility that jesus just might come back someday. who knows?
however, I question his timing. It would seem that the time has come already, that humanity really needs to see the proof of his existance before the supposed "end times".
I couldn't imagine that the loving and benevolent god of the bible would be so cruel as to leave any of his children behind for any reason.

could it be that the jesus club isn't quite as exclusive as advertised?

new topics

top topics

join