It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
About a year ago the Iranians posted an English translation that stated they wanted to blow Israel off the map, and not in a nice way. It has hence forth been deleted and around the same time Iran said it was a mistranslation. So I simply cannot trust their current government in anything as they themselves change their own words around many times. Iran has a historical wise and peaceful people and government.
But the current president has got to go. He is a demented radical and trying the patience of the world. I am convinced he is like America's own radical religious groups who believe they have to start WW3 so that salvation and the 2nd coming will begin.
But translators in Tehran who work for the president's office and the foreign ministry disagree with them. All official translations of Mr. Ahmadinejad's statement, including a description of it on his website, refer to wiping Israel away. Sohrab Mahdavi, one of Iran’s most prominent translators, and Siamak Namazi, managing director of a Tehran consulting firm, who is bilingual, both say “wipe off” or “wipe away” is more accurate than "vanish" because the Persian verb is active and transitive.
However, just as you need a decent president in America to uphold the illusion of democracy, the same is true in Iran. They have to change, sure. So do we, sure. But if a moderate president, say Mohammad Khatami type fellow, was leading, he would not be a person to worry about.
And you can read it the president's own website. Funny he claims he meant to be swept into the pages of time, which is nothing more than a beautifulness statement of the same, yet his website clearly states wiped off the map.
The phrase wiped off the map was constantly used by Russian and American officials and always meant nukes for 50 years.
This goes all the way back to ancient Rome using the phrase when they destroyed Carthage.
Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by Zamini
A lot of people in Iran speak English. If the Iranian government is that incompetent, how can I trust anything they say?
Also we're talking about Iran's government. Having an execution under your regime is like having a prostitute or second family as a politician in America. it's expected at this point.
[edit on 15-7-2010 by Gorman91]
Iran would be able to respond in many ways, argues the report, including:
* Withdrawal from the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) and immediate action to develop nuclear weapons to deter further attacks. Such work would use deeply-buried facilities that are reported to be under construction.
* A series of actions aimed at Israel as well as targeting the United States and its western partners including:
• missile attacks on Israel;
• actions to cause a sharp rise in oil prices by closing the Straits of Hormuz;
• paramilitary and/or missile attacks on western Gulf oil production, processing and transportation facilities;
• strong support for paramilitary groups in Iraq and Afghanistan opposing western involvement.